Truckstop Nostalgia

chaversdad:

JFC999:
The one on the old A1 was the Hollybush or Hollies or Hazeltree or something tree or bush like.
It wasn’t much further north than Greasy Normans but was considerably cleaner !
Someone will come up with the right name soon I’m sure.
Jim

I,m sure Micklefield was the Woodlands

beat me to it :smiley:

Nailed it chaversdad , I did say something bush didn’t I ?
Nearly wood
Jim

Rikki-UK:

Trukkertone:

rigsby:
tubby’s at braunston , potholes you could have floated a barge in

this is so i knew where i parked… the cone is on top of my trailer.

No Tone, that’s Normans Café (A1)- rumour has it that NASA used the lorry park as a test bed for the Lunar Rover to see if it could cope with the craters :slight_smile: , the place was a dive but they did some cracking home cooked grub- Long gone now

i,ve forgotten how basic Normans was, just a big shed in the middle of a dusty field , great food though and a pudding afterwards was compulsory :smiley:

Your old if you remember this one.

0000000372966.jpeg

Twoninety88:
Regarding Jacks on the A5, wasnt it CO-owned along with Bobs AT Stretton-On-Dunsmore, the one who name I cant think of at the top of the hill at Weedon on the A45? I seem to remember that a doctor owned all three at one time.

What was the place at Crick where the BP truckstop used to be? bloody minds going and cant think, stayed there a lot in the eighties■■?

Think the one at Weedon was called the Ace.

Sugar Ray:
Your old if you remember this one.

they would need to at least be in colour for me to remember them, i,m not a proper old git like some on here, just not as young as i,d like to be anymore :laughing:

David Street cafe in Holbeck Leeds . Very little room to park in fact it was in a back street but there always seemed to be plenty of wagons. I was on a skip wagon at the time(late 70’s early 80’s) so usually managed to get parked.
A few of Hargreaves skippys used to come in at the time anybody remember ?
By the way the food was really good and cheap
Jim

JFC999:
David Street cafe in Holbeck Leeds . Very little room to park in fact it was in a back street but there always seemed to be plenty of wagons. I was on a skip wagon at the time(late 70’s early 80’s) so usually managed to get parked.
Jim

I’m sure my mate said he was in there yesterday and it’s quite upmarket now.
Don’t know if it’s the original building though as there’s been quite a lot of development down holbeck

Was the BP Crick called the Rondeview (spelling) or something like that. Eddie.

yorkshire terrier:

JFC999:
Jim

Don’t know if it’s the original building though as there’s been quite a lot of development down holbeck

It’s quite a trendy place to live and work now I believe I’d be surprised if it was still there
Jim

That one on the A1 at Colerstworth is still there. Some days no one is in but others the yard to full of wagons.

JFC999:

yorkshire terrier:

JFC999:
Jim

It’s quite a trendy place to live and work now I believe I’d be surprised if it was still there
Jim

I’m going down to leeds for a few beers in a couple of weeks I will have a look,I’m sure there is something down that street that resembles a cafe.
Been some money spent in that area though

Dan Punchard:

Cotswoldcrunch:
What was the derelict cafe called on the A47 on the Norfolk/Cambs border? It’s a large 3 storey white building with an also abandoned filling station on site, and all fenced off nowadays. Sorry for the vague location, but it just appears and there’s no village to pass through to identify it.

Sounds like Necton Diner to me what a dump ,well derelict now obviously ,but every time I went passed it was full of coaches .

Do you mean the Victoria, near Wisbech ? I’m pretty sure that was what it was called, not far from were Wisbech Roadways/ Knowles/ Cevas is. If it is that one, then that’s been shut almost as soon as the bypass was built about 25yrs ago. I just cant think off any others in that area.

What’s the one down below the A47 level at Guyhirn? Last week was the first time I’ve ever seen it open, and looks “weathered” shall we say

The one at Guyhirn, used to be nearer the old Guyhirn Bridge, and when the council closed the layby when they built the new bridge, the owner had a sit in and refused to leave for several months, maybe even 6 mths, cant remember the guys name or all the full details off the sit in. I think he got the present location nearer Wisbech as a sort of compromise.

GBD:
A couple i remember, trewint truckstop just past launceston on the A30. the white horse, also on the A30 at okehampton. the Green welly at chatteris, the rolling mill at widnes, the norwich cattle market, cant remember the name of that one.

i could keep on, used to do portman road, ipswich on a monday, norwich cattle market or the truckstop out on the A47 at swaffham on tuesday. then huntingdon truckstop or BP alconbury wednesday and either BP rugby or as far as (senile moment) the truckstp next to M5 Junction 5, droitwich on thursday, back home friday.

Done that for nearly 2 and a half years back in the late 90s/2000s. great times, great strippers, great pub food, and some good friends.

Can I concour with a few off yours, Trewint used to be lads from Tesco westbury in there on nights out a lot too IRC I think they used to take rooms, as they had day cab Road trains. j5 Droitwich, I think that village was called Wycbold, I seem to remember going to a pub for evening meal, and getting breakfast in the café before leaving in the morning. Huntingdon, do you mean truckers at Godmanchester ? used to stop there a bit.
The Norfolk Dumpling on Norwich Cattle market, sadly gone. A47 Swaffham, Irc used to be called The Hungry Horse at Necton, another poster has called it Necton Diner, but described it as a dump so must be the same place :wink:

One I’ve not seen mentioned, used to be next the free lorry park in Immingham, walk out the opposite gate to where the trucks come in, and turn right, just there on the right, though I’m talking late 80’s and 90’s.

enterprise cafe between st neots and cambridge on roundabout good food nice people

Yep I’ll agree to that. Hardwick, that’s were that was :wink:

Can I mention one that’s as far as I know is still going, though under different owners, and sadly not seeming to be on any off my routes these days, the Cheerio on the A17, Eileen (me duck)ran it and then her son in law Stuart took over and ran it for a further 10 or 15 yrs, bloody good laughs, once spent so long in there for breakfast and drunk so much tea that I felt ill, if that breakfast took 90 mins it took 2 hrs, no trackers, just aswell coz they would have burnt a hole in the gaffer map, I think we had about 15 off us in there that morning. I believe Muckles was in there that morning too, I’m blaming him :wink:

Another Café, think it was called Daves, or the owner was called Dave, was opposite the beach station lorry park in Great Yarmouth, we used nip over there for Tea when we parked at Frans Maas on Harfreys ind Estate, 2-3-4 of us in one unit Private use card :open_mouth: Dave had a giant ice cream cone stood outside, it was about 5’ tall, so I took it in and ordered it tea one night, Dave had to look twice before he realised :laughing: . then on another occasion we abducted the pavement sign, with Dave in hot pursuit running down the street. He loved us :wink: really. they were good times, that I doubt will be repeated :wink:

■■■■ I’m going to bed before I start telling you all that your my friend :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Rikki-UK:

Trukkertone:

rigsby:
tubby’s at braunston , potholes you could have floated a barge in

this is so i knew where i parked… the cone is on top of my trailer.

No Tone, that’s Normans Café (A1)- rumour has it that NASA used the lorry park as a test bed for the Lunar Rover to see if it could cope with the craters :slight_smile: , the place was a dive but they did some cracking home cooked grub- Long gone now

Yeah, “The Geordie truckstop”. The first few times you went in you ordered steak and chips, after a while you learnt to order chips and gravy, it was exactly the same but half the price!

Remember waking up beside the worlds ugliest women who worked there one morning! Very nearly chewed my arm off to get out without waking it. :blush:

GBD:
the truckstp next to M5 Junction 5, droitwich

It occurred to me as to wether you were talking about the transport café, whose parking area(now a hotel) backed onto the slip road. Or the truckstop about a mile up the road behind the garage :confused:

I was meaning the former :wink:

eddie snax:

GBD:
the truckstp next to M5 Junction 5, droitwich

It occurred to me as to wether you were talking about the transport café, whose parking area(now a hotel) backed onto the slip road. Or the truckstop about a mile up the road behind the garage :confused:

I was meaning the former :wink:

Wychbold transport cafe has now gone, and the newer one up the A38 past Webbs Garden Centre is called The Pitstop.

the maoster:
Remember waking up beside the worlds ugliest women who worked there one morning! Very nearly chewed my arm off to get out without waking it. :blush:

hiya dad , mam wants to know if you could send a couple o quid in liu of the maintenance :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dave55:

Twoninety88:
What was the place at Crick where the BP truckstop used to be? bloody minds going and cant think, stayed there a lot in the eighties■■?

BP Truckstop was/is Nightowl now, before that, the cafe was called the Rendezvous.When that shut I went further up the A5, top of the hill where the dc starts and run across the road to a cafe I’ve forgotten the name of :blush: The owner was John, I think - had a wood burner in the cafe :slight_smile:

Turtens.

syramax:

the maoster:

hiya dad , mam wants to know if you could send a couple o quid in liu of the maintenance :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The cheque is in the post Son. Sorry I haven’t seen much of you but I’ve been really busy. Love Dad ■■■

Did you know that there is a thread 90 pages long on the Old-timers Forum called ‘Old cafes’? Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12421&hilit=old+transport+cafes&start=2640

Robert :slight_smile: