Truckstop Nostalgia

pete smith:
Fair few on A41 between Wolverhampton and Prees Heath,spiders web[open],cosford grill[caravan sales now],one just before newport on old road by lilleshall hall can’t remember the name,halfway house the old cafe was in two halves had a lean to on front with a pot bellied stove in,one next door to stormy petrel pub tern hill,the college cafe just before A442 turn [car sales] one half mile on l/h side the Anvil? oak tree stores corner of manor house lane[demolished] the Globe on l/h side by airfield[houses built] Raven and Midway still there but there was another where chip shop is next to garage,the cherry tree?

Cedar Cafe Pete, also the Breckland where the coaches stopped next to the Raven pub. at Prees Heath.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

pete smith:
Fair few on A41 between Wolverhampton and Prees Heath,spiders web[open],cosford grill[caravan sales now],one just before newport on old road by lilleshall hall can’t remember the name,halfway house the old cafe was in two halves had a lean to on front with a pot bellied stove in,one next door to stormy petrel pub tern hill,the college cafe just before A442 turn [car sales] one half mile on l/h side the Anvil? oak tree stores corner of manor house lane[demolished] the Globe on l/h side by airfield[houses built] Raven and Midway still there but there was another where chip shop is next to garage,the cherry tree?

Cedar Cafe Pete, also the Breckland where the coaches stopped next to the Raven pub. at Prees Heath.
Cheers Dave.

Thats the one,thought it had sommat to do with trees! Pub whats shut down over road is the Cherry tree,used to have the lido out the back also the Breckland looked like it had not been open for a bit

pete smith:

Dave the Renegade:

pete smith:

Cheers Dave.

Thats the one,thought it had sommat to do with trees! Pub whats shut down over road is the Cherry tree,used to have the lido out the back also the Breckland looked like it had not been open for a bit

Last time I was at Prees Heath, the Breckland was an Indian restaurant.Probably is shut, I haven’t been that way for a while.

The kernals cafe at bloxwich now a old peoples home,and the orange tree at walsall.And chrissands at manchester this one going back 20yrs.

grahams at bridgewater

alfnat:
grahams at bridgewater

Now got industrial unit built on site and Orange tree been boarded up for few years

What about the Hogs’ Back on the A31? It was busy yesterday morning-I didn’t go in but used the layby. Not for it’s nocturnal usage I might add (not with my back) :blush:

Cotswoldcrunch:
What about the Hogs’ Back on the A31? It was busy yesterday morning-I didn’t go in but used the layby. Not for it’s nocturnal usage I might add (not with my back) :blush:

I dived in there to use the bog about 12 months ago. Was locked and I had the squits. Wouldn’t give me the key unless I ordered and paid for some food first.

Ethnicity of the owners available by pm only. :wink:

NOVE:

Cotswoldcrunch:

I dived in there to use the bog about 12 months ago. Was locked and I had the squits. Wouldn’t give me the key unless I ordered and paid for some food first.

Ethnicity of the owners available by pm only. :wink:

And the food was lousy

A couple i remember, trewint truckstop just past launceston on the A30. the white horse, also on the A30 at okehampton. the Green welly at chatteris, the rolling mill at widnes, the norwich cattle market, cant remember the name of that one.

i could keep on, used to do portman road, ipswich on a monday, norwich cattle market or the truckstop out on the A47 at swaffham on tuesday. then huntingdon truckstop or BP alconbury wednesday and either BP rugby or as far as (senile moment) the truckstp next to M5 Junction 5, droitwich on thursday, back home friday.

Done that for nearly 2 and a half years back in the late 90s/2000s. great times, great strippers, great pub food, and some good friends.

What was the derelict cafe called on the A47 on the Norfolk/Cambs border? It’s a large 3 storey white building with an also abandoned filling station on site, and all fenced off nowadays. Sorry for the vague location, but it just appears and there’s no village to pass through to identify it.

was it not the transportel,or transporthotel in perth■■?.. and the other one had a big open fire with the wifey filling up your plate as if you were a starving kid…then they built the bypass(before a child gets killed etc) and turned the town into a ghost town overnight…

Andy smg:
Silver Links Kincardine bridge. Can’t remember the name of the cafe that used to be in Aberuthven, or the one that used to be in the middle of Perth in the 70s.

Fleetmotor:
Seems to be a new Truckstop at Lesmahagow - next door to old truckstop - anybody tried it out? Only noticed it 'cos M74 night time closure for roadworks a couple of weeks ago.

called in here for a bite to eat yesterday (wed) very impressed :smiley: very smart and spotless . the beef madras , rice and poppodom (big crisp thingy ) with mint yoghurt was enjoyable . cost with a cup o tea was iirc @£7 , oh and the staff were pleasant too . not sure about parking costs (I wasn’t stopping ) but £14 seems to ring a bell ■■ I expect some one will be along shortly with the price list .

434mike:
Two I remember from times gone by;
Wychbold, off junction 5 M5 and one at Micklefied, (name escapes me) just off old A1 north of Ferrybridge, both had good food and always busy.

The one on the old A1 was the Hollybush or Hollies or Hazeltree or something tree or bush like.
It wasn’t much further north than Greasy Normans but was considerably cleaner !
Someone will come up with the right name soon I’m sure.
Jim

syramax:

Fleetmotor:
Seems to be a new Truckstop at Lesmahagow - next door to old truckstop - anybody tried it out? Only noticed it 'cos M74 night time closure for roadworks a couple of weeks ago.

called in here for a bite to eat yesterday (wed) very impressed :smiley: very smart and spotless . the beef madras , rice and poppodom (big crisp thingy ) with mint yoghurt was enjoyable . cost with a cup o tea was iirc @£7 , oh and the staff were pleasant too . not sure about parking costs (I wasn’t stopping ) but £14 seems to ring a bell ■■ I expect some one will be along shortly with the price list .

I live locally to the Lesmahagow truckstop,and went for lunch there today. It’s been open for a few months now and I have been in a few times,even took the wife for Lunch last Saturday. The food is good,quick and reasonably priced.
It’s good to see a truckstop here again,it’s got a fair few spaces & another parking area across the road above tesco’s,which should be open soon.
The new truckstop is owned by Patersons,the quarry people who run the burgundy tippers & skips.

JFC999:

434mike:
Two I remember from times gone by;
Wychbold, off junction 5 M5 and one at Micklefied, (name escapes me) just off old A1 north of Ferrybridge, both had good food and always busy.

The one on the old A1 was the Hollybush or Hollies or Hazeltree or something tree or bush like.
Jim

Woodlands :question:

JFC999:
Jim

I,m sure Micklefield was the Woodlands

beat me to it :smiley:

Cotswoldcrunch:
What was the derelict cafe called on the A47 on the Norfolk/Cambs border? It’s a large 3 storey white building with an also abandoned filling station on site, and all fenced off nowadays. Sorry for the vague location, but it just appears and there’s no village to pass through to identify it.

Sounds like Necton Diner to me what a dump ,well derelict now obviously ,but every time I went passed it was full of coaches .

Trukkertone:

rigsby:
tubby’s at braunston , potholes you could have floated a barge in

this is so i knew where i parked… the cone is on top of my trailer.

No Tone, that’s Normans Café (A1)- rumour has it that NASA used the lorry park as a test bed for the Lunar Rover to see if it could cope with the craters :slight_smile: , the place was a dive but they did some cracking home cooked grub- Long gone now

chaversdad:

JFC999:
Jim

I,m sure Micklefield was the Woodlands

beat me to it :smiley:

Its before i was driving ,but i went in with my dad when i was a kid,i remember it being a bit like a better version of kates cabin,big and cold with a dust bowl carpark :neutral_face: