Truckstop Nostalgia

I think the reason for the half built hotel on the old Windrush cafe was planning issues. A local farmer said the builder could do a like for like replacement of the cafe, but thought Nationak Trust and Glos CC wouldn’t notice the hotel there.
:wink: :laughing:

pip2209:

bald bloke:
What about Lesmahagow I used to use that a far bit on a Monday night, they would park you up in some kind of order to what time you were departing in the morning. I used to be out fairly early so would be at the front opposite the doors to the building.
I believe it’s shut now is that correct ?

It`s Tossco now, has been for a few year.

That’s a shame I liked it there.

Cant believe Lesmahagow is now a Tescos…i used to stop there regular…in fact to regular i was seeing a lass from behind the cafe counter…single mother, she had a face you could take ratting…but f…k me wot a body.

Retro rob:
Lesmahagow
The Quernhow
The Comfort Cafe A11 Fourwentways
The Horse and Groom on the A505

I love the Quernhow; wen I used to go to Scotland I always took my night out there. My boss was always moaning about it, cos I have had 40 minutes left of my driving time and he wanted me to drive till the last minute…

Soredian:
Anyone remember The Lavender Blue on the A50 at Husbands Bosworth. They had a lot of regulars there and it was often party night in the bar.

The Lavender Blue is now a very large, very nice house. What was the car park is nicely laid out paddocks & gardens. Am I jealous? You bet I am.

Deputy Dogs :slight_smile: 45-- (now 14),
many a new rookie were initiated via a stage appearance on a Thursday night :laughing: :laughing:

Dave the Renegade:

rward:
dave remember that parrot in there regards rowly

:slight_smile:
I remember the Mynah bird that used to curse and swear Rowly. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

hi dave .the mynan bird was called skipp . bacon eggs beans toms fried bread and hallo skipp. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: .

otto194242:

Dave the Renegade:

rward:
dave remember that parrot in there regards rowly

:slight_smile:
I remember the Mynah bird that used to curse and swear Rowly. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

hi dave .the mynan bird was called skipp . bacon eggs beans toms fried bread and hallo skipp. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: .

The health & safety blokes would have a fit,if they walked into a cafe and saw a mynah bird these days Otto. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Does anyone know there was an old cafe on the roundabout where the old A34 (now A3400) meets the Fosseway between Shipston and Newbold on Stour? The building I’m thinking of is now a hairdressers but looks like an old cafe.

Nobody remember The Rookery, Wellham Green?

Ah, a bit more research… seems it might still be going, looks like it was in 2008 anyway and its still listed on the URTU site.

goo.gl/maps/t7Gxu

Seems to be a new Truckstop at Lesmahagow - next door to old truckstop - anybody tried it out? Only noticed it 'cos M74 night time closure for roadworks a couple of weeks ago.

I like Stibbington, for the baps behind the counter. :wink:

No body remember the rosebank at Gretna? also the copper kettle on the a5 Nuneaton area, an old caravan in a big lay bye run by a farmer and his wife,good grub and a bloody good laugh as well when the wife got going,big lass think her name was Margret. Happy days.
regards dave.

Bking:
Two I remember the old Lymm truckstop that used to be across the other side of the road from the new place and ([zb] me Im showing my age now)the silver wheel on the old A50.

I was there the day it closed Another one was the truckstop on the A59 at Longton in Lancashire which was next to the old Caladonian depot (BRS) think its some bloody builders merchants now.Once called in one on the A38 near the old airfield(great bear distribution place) and stayed in the place.Bloke who owned it had a mini bus and would run you into Lichfield and pick you up at midnight,[zb] me was I shi*faced when I got back in that bus!!!

Happy days.

That was the Poplars

Dieseldog66:
Who remembers Jack Saunders cafe at Long Itchington

or The Ceders ( Spelling) A45 at Canley, Coventry, loved those fried spuds.

DD66 You must be as old as me or older both have been long long gone, JS cafe was I think called Rye Hill

DD PM me pls as i might know you from way back

What’s the one down below the A47 level at Guyhirn? Last week was the first time I’ve ever seen it open, and looks “weathered” shall we say. :wink:

enterprise cafe between st neots and cambridge on roundabout good food nice people

Two I remember from times gone by;
Wychbold, off junction 5 M5 and one at Micklefied, (name escapes me) just off old A1 north of Ferrybridge, both had good food and always busy.

Fair few on A41 between Wolverhampton and Prees Heath,spiders web[open],cosford grill[caravan sales now],one just before newport on old road by lilleshall hall can’t remember the name,halfway house the old cafe was in two halves had a lean to on front with a pot bellied stove in,one next door to stormy petrel pub tern hill,the college cafe just before A442 turn [car sales] one half mile on l/h side the Anvil? oak tree stores corner of manor house lane[demolished] the Globe on l/h side by airfield[houses built] Raven and Midway still there but there was another where chip shop is next to garage,the cherry tree?

Lesmahagow and Dalwhinnie were favourites from my old Toleman days and stopped once at Trafford Park…strippers were the nightly entertainment and loads of taxis arriving at night with young ladies plying their trade!! :blush: