Truckstop Nostalgia

There used to be a good cafe in front of a big scrapyard at Walsall.It was run by a woman who was part of the family who owned the scrapyard.Can’t remember the name or the road,it wasn’t far off the M6.

Dave the Renegade:
There used to be a good cafe in front of a big scrapyard at Walsall.It was run by a woman who was part of the family who owned the scrapyard.Can’t remember the name or the road,it wasn’t far off the M6.

It was Hill’s scrapyard Dave, just off J10, went past there today , the scrapyard has gone, the cafe still stands but is closed up.

Trev_H:

Dave the Renegade:

It was Hill’s scrapyard Dave, just off J10, went past there today , the scrapyard has gone, the cafe still stands but is closed up.

Thanks Trev,it would be back in the late 1980’s when I stopped there with a mate that used to live in Willenhall and knew the family.
Cheers Dave.

5 Ways Cafe was run by a guy named Sam, a right laugh.

Pulled in to fill up next to Bob’s on the A45 today and it’s being turned in to a car lot.

Two I remember the old Lymm truckstop that used to be across the other side of the road from the new place and (■■■■ me Im showing my age now)the silver wheel on the old A50.

I was there the day it closed Another one was the truckstop on the A59 at Longton in Lancashire which was next to the old Caladonian depot (BRS) think its some bloody builders merchants now.Once called in one on the A38 near the old airfield(great bear distribution place) and stayed in the place.Bloke who owned it had a mini bus and would run you into Lichfield and pick you up at midnight,■■■■ me was I shi*faced when I got back in that bus!!!

Happy days.

Thanks to never running many nights out over my 15 years trucking I only have limited Truckstop knowledge.
The 2 that jump out having not been mentioned are Greasy Lils on the A5 between Cannock and Gailey, and Woodside just off the M62 J36 heading away from Goole. Both, I believe, are still open.

Anyone remember The Lavender Blue on the A50 at Husbands Bosworth. They had a lot of regulars there and it was often party night in the bar.
Briggs of Drighlighton or Brays Transport Cafe in Islington, Beds never got cold with night trunkers staying there in the daytime. Lastly, Silvertown Transport Cafe on Silvertown Way in Canning Town, pub with strippers next door. All Gone now.

gunnerheskey:

mutley:
Colonels? If that’s how it was spelt, night club on site, had a few good nights in there, heard they built an old folks home on the site when they knocked it down.

The Kernels, walsall rd near cannock, night club next door, thursdays was the night :wink:

Yeah used it a few times on a Thursday :wink:

Bking:
Two I remember the old Lymm truckstop that used to be across the other side of the road from the new place and ([zb] me Im showing my age now)the silver wheel on the old A50.

I was there the day it closed Another one was the truckstop on the A59 at Longton in Lancashire which was next to the old Caladonian depot (BRS) think its some bloody builders merchants now.Once called in one on the A38 near the old airfield(great bear distribution place) and stayed in the place.Bloke who owned it had a mini bus and would run you into Lichfield and pick you up at midnight,[zb] me was I shi*faced when I got back in that bus!!!

Happy days.

The Ribblesdale was the name of the one at Longton a really good stopover in its day ran by a chap called John Weet from Liverpool. Eddie.

The one on the A59 next to the Caledonian was the Silent Seventh at Much Hoole, now Henry Altys builders merchants.
There was also the green wooden hut by the Rams Head at Tarleton traffic lights, and Nansons and The Oasis in Rufford, all gone now.

Who remembers Jack Saunders cafe at Long Itchington

or The Ceders ( Spelling) A45 at Canley, Coventry, loved those fried spuds.

Aroud here we had the Golden Arrow A4 Marlborough-Hungerford closed early 90,s now a very expensive indian -The Ridgeway nr Avebury A4 again,closed late 80,s,Smoky Joes A4 outside Calne burnt down…early 80,s & remember stopping in a cafe when I was a kid riding shotgun called Blue Rig…Newbury area,I remember they sold shed loads of trucker stickers & flags etc.

The Quiet Woman on the old A34 (now A3400/A44) at Chipping Norton. It’s an antique shop now but still serves teas but the yard area is fenced off. Still looks like a cafe though.
Near the station bridge in Oxford there’s Micks’ Cafe (If you can park near it-common to see drivers’ mate dashing across to get food if the traffic’s bad). It used to be the loco crews’ mess when Oxford station had a loco shed.

What about Lesmahagow I used to use that a far bit on a Monday night, they would park you up in some kind of order to what time you were departing in the morning. I used to be out fairly early so would be at the front opposite the doors to the building.
I believe it’s shut now is that correct ?

Perhaps we should all stop at a traditional cafe if and when we come across them, even just for a cuppa. I mean proper as in Macs on the A4, not your rat van in a layby full of bulgarian turds.

Mungo:
Smoky Joes A4 outside Calne burnt down…

He didn’t see that coming then? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bald bloke:
What about Lesmahagow I used to use that a far bit on a Monday night, they would park you up in some kind of order to what time you were departing in the morning. I used to be out fairly early so would be at the front opposite the doors to the building.
I believe it’s shut now is that correct ?

It`s Tossco now, has been for a few year.

ShroudedKnight. You are are right I remember John Weet for some reason changed the name from the Ribblesdale to
The Silent Seventh it was a busy cafe in the 60/70s I dont know about later years. Eddie.

Muckaway:
The site of the Windrush cafe on the A40 is up for sale; Planning permission for filling station, shop and cafe apparently. Not sure if the half built hotel will be demolished though.

I went passed there last week Nathan and wondered what was going to happen, I guess that someone ran out of money?

Used to use the Tower cafe at Beenham on the A4 when taking trucks to Newbury test station from Reading, garage foreman always used to catch us out when we got back by saying we had some egg around our mouth’s and of course we used to wipe it even though there was nothing there! :blush: Another on the A4 was Macs cafe and one just outside Marlborough, the Ridgeway at a guess?

Pete.

mutley:
Colonels? If that’s how it was spelt, night club on site, had a few good nights in there, heard they built an old folks home on the site when they knocked it down.

Yes I remember the Colonel’s Cafe. A34, Bloxwich?

Also remember the Carlisle & Alconbury BP’s.

Another from my trade plating days in the 90’s that had rooms: The Rookery. Where was that? Somewhere north of South Mimms?

Used to stay at Jack’s Hill about 9 years ago when doing agency work for Tesco NDC at Milton Keynes.