Retro rob:

animal:

Fatboy slimslow:

Retro rob:
Lesmahagow
The Quernhow
The Comfort Cafe A11 Fourwentways
The Horse and Groom on the A505

Bp immingham, one at godmanchester where aim hire used to be and redbeck cafe used to be my favourites! Shep shed early 90s and truck world Thurrock if shipping out / in for the craic and the obligatory ten pints! :grimacing: :grimacing:

Quernhow is still there

How do u get to it now?

As said Quernhow is still open … come off ( new ) A1M @ Jnc 50 ( just up from the old Rainton Little Thief ) … don’t take A61 to Ripon … take the next exit off the R/about … this is the L.A.R ( Local Access Road ) … can’t remember what No it is - signed Masham / Bedale … cafe about 2 miles on left.
Same Jnc if coming South.

To get back on the A1M … you either come back to Jnc 49 OR follow L.A.R all the way up to Leeming and follow signs A1 Scotch Corner. L.A.R is only single carriageway think there’s 2 R/abouts … but dead straight road.

Don’t think Querhow is any better than it was :unamused:
Londonderry Truck stop have just been given “Green light” for NEW Truckstop as have ( I think ) Leeming :question:

Think it is sign posted as well from there but yep

Thought Londonderry was closing & Exelby was moving closer to A1

Londonderry is closing … but moving nearer A1M (not sure where ) … see this (last week’s ) Commercial Motor … been given Govt permission for NEW site … also Leeming Bar Services are to move.

Twoninety88:
What was the place at Crick where the BP truckstop used to be? bloody minds going and cant think, stayed there a lot in the eighties■■?

BP Truckstop was/is Nightowl now, before that, the cafe was called the Rendezvous.When that shut I went further up the A5, top of the hill where the dc starts and run across the road to a cafe I’ve forgotten the name of :blush: The owner was John, I think - had a wood burner in the cafe :slight_smile:

3 that have had a big part in my life are JJ’s (Liverpool), West Brom Truck Stop and Truckworld @ Thurrock !

taylors cafe brownhills

taylors2.jpg

Way before I was driving there was Lodge cafe on the A34 at Talke (Stoke on Trent), 4 or 5 big houses on there now.

rward:
dave is it still good food 20 years sinc i been in there regards rowly

Haven’t been in there for three years Rowly.It was brilliant food when Jean and Mick Farmer ran it.
Will have to pay it a visit and report back.
The Raven and the Midway at Prees Heath are still good.
Cheers Dave.

Gentlemen, remember Margaret’s on the A5 at atherstone, always received excellent man sized sarnies :smiley: :smiley:

was Margarets the black hut by the big laybys
now its a modern ish sit in porta kabin

The site of the Windrush cafe on the A40 is up for sale; Planning permission for filling station, shop and cafe apparently. Not sure if the half built hotel will be demolished though.

The ‘Aviary’ at Hinkley on the A5, back in the day, used to leave crewe area at 5, first stop…the Aviary…still in there after 8 on the way down to the smoke…just couldn’t get away…every time a driver walked in it was more teas all round…no tachos…no mobiles…no worries…proper LORRY DRIVING!!

The Mayphil (latterly Redbeck) near Boothferry Bridge at Howden/Goole. I spent much of my childhood and early teenage years in their on my bike in summer taking pictures of trucks!

Suedehead:
Can anybody remember a cafe on the Swindon - Wootton Bassett road?
It would have been roughly where J16 of the M4 is now,can remember going in there with the old man . . think it was called Days cafe?

I sort of remember it in the back of my mind somewhere ( old age :laughing: ) it will come back on a good day… watch this space…

Colonels? If that’s how it was spelt, night club on site, had a few good nights in there, heard they built an old folks home on the site when they knocked it down.

JFC999:
Greasy Normans A1Ferrybridge , real gourmet food in salubrious surroundings!

by 'eck, ive had some good scran in theer.

mutley:
Colonels? If that’s how it was spelt, night club on site, had a few good nights in there, heard they built an old folks home on the site when they knocked it down.

Grab a Granny on Thursdays :smiley: Used to stop on The Island on the East Lancs Road - housing estate now…

mutley:

The Kernels, walsall rd near cannock, night club next door, thursdays was the night :wink:

Ones I can remember using in my early days (early 80s)are …
Checkley Truckstop on the old road before the A50 at Uttoxeter.
Calveley cafe between Nantwich and Tarporley.
Bodelwythen? Cafe just past the marble church
BillieJeans just off A55
Cafe behind LittleChef at top of A2 before you got onto M2
Several others locally to me that we’re off the beaten track

Dave55:
the cafe was called the Rendezvous.When that shut I went further up the A5, top of the hill where the dc starts and run across the road to a cafe I’ve forgotten the name of :blush: The owner was John, I think - had a wood burner in the cafe :slight_smile:

Thanks! thats the one.

Muckaway:
The site of the Windrush cafe on the A40 is up for sale; Planning permission for filling station, shop and cafe apparently. Not sure if the half built hotel will be demolished though.

The Windrush, pulled in there one really bad winters day about 1980-81 and there we all stayed for the next 16 hours due to very heavy snow. The phone on the wall was broken and couldnt inform anyone what had happened.No mobiles then.
My young wife was going frantic after the firm phoned her up later that night and asked if she had heard from me!