Truckstop Nostalgia

Is Kates’ Cabin still going?

Muckaway:
Is Kates’ Cabin still going?

If you mean the on the A1 at Peterborough, yes I believe it is. I don’t stop there myself, push onto Colsterworth normaly :wink:

Dave the Renegade:

eddie snax:

GBD:
the truckstp next to M5 Junction 5, droitwich

It occurred to me as to wether you were talking about the transport café, whose parking area(now a hotel) backed onto the slip road. Or the truckstop about a mile up the road behind the garage :confused:

I was meaning the former :wink:

Wychbold transport cafe has now gone, and the newer one up the A38 past Webbs Garden Centre is called The Pitstop.

Ah yes, couldn’t bring the name to mind, don’t get over that way often. Looked like a hotel is on the grounds off the old one :unamused:

alfnat:
The kernals cafe at bloxwich now a old peoples home,and the orange tree at walsall.And chrissands at manchester this one going back 20yrs.

ahhh yes the kernels, the building may have changed purpose but the clientel are still the same :laughing:

Anybody remember the cafe on the a635 going towards barnsley from the a1,was really rough but the breakfasts were bang on and it was allways packed ,theres houses where it was now and near another boozer thats been turned into a indian :cry:

The Golden Arrow on the A4 has been mentioned on this thread briefly before but some of my memories that stick in my mind from the late sixties are the bloke behind the counter serving in a grubby white vest , the teapot with two spouts and the empty cups lined up on a metal grill with all the overspill going into the next pot beneath no doubt.The open air outside toilet where you had a pee and a free shower if it was raining hard enough and the place was like Toys R US at Christmas with all the goods of dubious origin for sale. I cant remember but I expect it had the regulation tea spoon on a metal chain.
The open road on high ground approaching Calne was lined by a large RAF camp in those days and as you dropped down towards Calne from this there is a white horse on the hillside. There is a bungalow at this point and this was the White Horse cafe , an alternative to the Golden Arrow.
Cheers Phil.

GBD wrote: the truckstp next to M5 Junction 5, droitwich

It occurred to me as to wether you were talking about the transport café, whose parking area(now a hotel) backed onto the slip road. Or the truckstop about a mile up the road behind the garage

I was meaning the former

Yeah eddie, it was the one where the hotel and maccy Ds is now.

At one time for ashort period of time i had to use the day cab truck, the firm paid a bit more night out dosh so you could get somewhere to stay.

Again, i cannot remember the names of most but there was one somewhere down on theA40 between oxford and high wycombe. it had a weird tv room with cinema style rising seating and the rooms were literally the size of a single bed and a gap to walk down.

as previously mentioned, the rolling mill in widnes had huge rooms, not the cleanest, but double beds and a nightclubby type thing in the back.

there was a truckstop with rooms on the M1 up alongside leeds/wetherby, i think it was micklefield??. they had nice on suite baths and sky tv.

And of course truckworld thurrock, had to book the room asap or the contractors would nab them up.

I think the worse thing about my memory is that i can remember most nigh out truckstops by the strippers that were the evenings entertainment (truckworld does spring to mind, and other parts of the body :smiley: )

also one at kingston upon soar, theres a haulage company running out of there.

GBD:

GBD wrote: the truckstp next to M5 Junction 5, droitwich

It occurred to me as to wether you were talking about the transport café, whose parking area(now a hotel) backed onto the slip road. Or the truckstop about a mile up the road behind the garage

I was meaning the former

Yeah eddie, it was the one where the hotel and maccy Ds is now.

At one time for ashort period of time i had to use the day cab truck, the firm paid a bit more night out dosh so you could get somewhere to stay.

Again, i cannot remember the names of most but there was one somewhere down on theA40 between oxford and high wycombe. it had a weird tv room with cinema style rising seating and the rooms were literally the size of a single bed and a gap to walk down.

as previously mentioned, the rolling mill in widnes had huge rooms, not the cleanest, but double beds and a nightclubby type thing in the back.

there was a truckstop with rooms on the M1 up alongside leeds/wetherby, i think it was micklefield??. they had nice on suite baths and sky tv.

And of course truckworld thurrock, had to book the room asap or the contractors would nab them up.

I think the worse thing about my memory is that i can remember most nigh out truckstops by the strippers that were the evenings entertainment (truckworld does spring to mind, and other parts of the body :smiley: )

also one at kingston upon soar, theres a haulage company running out of there.

The café between oxford and h/Wycombe would be chris,s at stokenhurch which I believe is still going.I stand to be corrected.
regards dave.

The cafe on the north bnd A74 opposite the quarry, I think it was a shell garage as well !
Remember stopping on there in the early 90s in my merc 1729, no night heater 1 sleeping bag and 2 quilts, jumped out to check it over next morning & the snow came upto my knees.
Happy days :smiley: