TESCO Truck Spec

Now to me that’s a nice fleet truck, g/r420 that Asda use, just wish they would do 90 like everyone else & get rid of the DRLs…

They do, it’s only a hand full of the ex netto (p cabs I think they are called - the very small ones) that only do 83km. All other ASDA vehicles do 89kph, or should I say…“are capable of”.

I was told by Scania that ASDA used to have them restricted a lot more but the fuel costs went up (can’t verify if thats true though), which they would. When I’ve driven them 83km/h truckes the revs are running way below the green band.

I’ve had this arguement out with a few top drivers on here & I was told that I talk [zb]…!

Pimpdaddy:
I’ve had this arguement out with a few top drivers on here & I was told that I talk [zb]…!

Well I have first hand experience. Like I said, ASDA have a lot of the Salford Van Hire trucks and for instance they have a lot of DAF’s XF from there. I’ve never driven and of the Salford DAF XF’s in any company that do any less than 89kph, yet I regularly see them trundling down the motorway at 50mph on the ASDA work.

When working for ASDA I quite often pass other ASDA vehicles but there is a flip side to the coin.

For example, an early morning shift (2 or 3am) at the Skelmersdale chilled depot would usually see you only getting one run as everything tends to go out between 2 and 6am. It may be a full hit to a Manchester store for example. You drive there (you have plenty of time and a delivery window just like any haulier, ASDA measure their own transport deliveries as they have targets.). You deliver and collect the waste. Now the recycling centre is in Skem so unlike ASDA Wigan or Warrington, you are returning straight to base with the waste. You can’t bomb back to the yard as you will be just sitting there until your 8 hours 45 mins is up if you are agency, some of the ASDA own drivers do 9 or 11 hour shifts. (agency drivers are then put on them shunting with around 5 or 6 other lads and the 3 yard shunters just to move trailers from the recycling centre to the main lorry park once they are empty). The ASDA drivers will not go back out if they get back after 6 hours of their shift as they are paid to do 9 hours and there is not many jobs you can do in 3 hours of what is left of their shift. Sure they could do a local store but then they could end up getting to that store behind other ASDA vehicles from other depots so they don’t attempt it.

So summing up, you can be early for your delivery and take your time getting there so that you aren’t over early, there’s no rushing back so maybe have your 45 once you leave the store etc. The vehicles are tracked and managed by isotrak so you can’t park up for a few hours. Plus when you get back you don’t want to be sitting around for hours till your shifts end or shunting. You can be brought in to the office for a check at the end of your shift to monitor your driving for braking, mpg etc. So you may as well just take it easy, stroll back and do 50mph on cruise control. That’s another thing they look for, you need to have done between 30 and 50% of your driving for the day on cruise control for fuel efficiency. You can’t go the long way either as the routes are mapped !

Soldier z:

oman5:

Pimpdaddy:
It’s a hell of a prize considering places like Sainsbury give black axors to their ‘driver of the year’…#whataninsult

don’t get me wrong, it is a big deal getting your own truck that nobody else can use for a year, but until recently they gave the winner a v8 topline. cost cutting, I imagine.

What’s the point of having a wagon that’s not earning
I assume they don’t tramp away all week so normally the motor would be double shifted?
Why not just give the winner a nice check for £2k and get the wagon earning?

Supermarket driver of the year?
Do catagories include:
Driving at 40mph regardless of the road your on including motorways?
Telling everyone who much you earn? :slight_smile:

They get given the truck by scania. doesn’t cost them anything to have it sat there whilst the guy is off work.
categories include an inside out knowledge of tacho law, road rules and regulations then once you actually get behind the wheel, blind side reversing, very tight maneuvering and driving style. no, we’re only trolly dollies, not proper drivers.

iceland have a driver of the year unit too. grey rather than white with full air kit all over it and big letters under the windscreen saying DRIVER OF THE YEAR. its a renault premium :laughing:

[quote=“Soldier z”
Driving at 40mph regardless of the road your on including motorways?
[/quote]
this really gets on my nerves. i got stuck behind a tesco wagon doing 40 on the M8 last weekend when i was heading down south. with a start time of 1700 the traffic is still a problem when trying to overtake one of these…people! he might have been local but some of us arent and have to get the hammer down to get a drop done before 6 hours is up. including the tip using a tail lift!

looked like he was one of monarchs when i eventually got past with an indication of what i thought of him :imp:

scanny77:
iceland have a driver of the year unit too. grey rather than white with full air kit all over it and big letters under the windscreen saying DRIVER OF THE YEAR. its a renault premium :laughing:

Yeah but the Driver of the Year gets a Privilage, rather than the basic model with the black bumpers! That draw under the bunk really adds to the working experience.

scanny77:
this really gets on my nerves. i got stuck behind a tesco wagon doing 40 on the M8 last weekend when i was heading down south. with a start time of 1700 the traffic is still a problem when trying to overtake one of these…people!

Gets on my ■■■■ too big time, my conclusion is that tesco drivers are lacking in the trouser dept hence a small brain wich comprises mostly of turd…

Perhaps with all the tracking tacho etc they can see if they speed on any part of the journey. Why get a bollocking for breaking the law when there’s no need

kr79:
Perhaps with all the tracking tacho etc they can see if they speed on any part of the journey. Why get a bollocking for breaking the law when there’s no need

i dont have a problem with anyone sticking to the speed limit but doing 40 on a motorway is causing an obstruction

scanny77:

kr79:

i dont have a problem with anyone sticking to the speed limit but doing 40 on a motorway is causing an obstruction

Don’t think HATO would be interested in picking up such an “obstruction” but the police might!

scanny77:

I was in Sainsbury Stoke today and I saw their 2012 Driver of the Year motor a dark metallic Volvo FM Globetrotter…hmm :confused:

Last summer Mercs sent an Actros to Doncaster to make sure it matched up to all the trailers (8, 10, 12 and 13m) and deckers.
The transport manager said Tesco’s were swapping the whole fleet of about 1400 for the high cab specced Axor, even though the majority of ours were 60/61 plates…That was before Stobart came in though :laughing:

As for the 50 mph thing…it was terrible and dangerous. I totally agree that those who did 40 on the motorway needed ■■■■■■■■ :frowning:

Carlos Fandango:
Last summer Mercs sent an Actros to Doncaster to make sure it matched up to all the trailers (8, 10, 12 and 13m) and deckers.
The transport manager said Tesco’s were swapping the whole fleet of about 1400 for the high cab specced Axor, even though the majority of ours were 60/61 plates…That was before Stobart came in though :laughing:

As for the 50 mph thing…it was terrible and dangerous. I totally agree that those who did 40 on the motorway needed ■■■■■■■■ :frowning:

It’s looking like the Tesco unit of choice will be the DAF CF from now on, Mercedes I believe no longer produce the Axor therefor the new Actros will be to expensive, we took delivery of 12 or so CF’s a couple of weeks ago.

Heard they had got some DAFs in at Lichfield. How about the Antos? Or the narrow cab Actros?

sorry but Tesco in Belfast and Antrim are in the process of taking 28 new 410 FM Volvos . Some of the old Mercs and the old FM’s are going . Will leave us with 1840 Merc Axors with auto boxes ( most hatefull truck I’ve ever sat in or had the displeasure of driving )and the new FM 410’s with i- shift.

Sheer luck getting volvo fm, poland use actros i think…
Old 57reg CFs that Livingston had chucked out, nothing nice about that. They would be a cracking motor though for something like tesco but they are too stupid to get them to replace axors. They are also too tight to get high roof axors or even actros so it looks like it’d be a below bog standard antos(doing no more than 41.5 or something silly) as this is what they’ve been trialing/trialling lately.
Only sites that’d get axor/antos are what’s run by tesco or dhl I think, there are even 62reg knocking about so they’re still being made :frowning:
‘Mike68’ were those 12 CFs delivered brand new…?

Pimpdaddy:
Sheer luck getting volvo fm, poland use actros i think…
Old 57reg CFs that Livingston had chucked out, nothing nice about that. They would be a cracking motor though for something like tesco but they are too stupid to get them to replace axors. They are also too tight to get high roof axors or even actros so it looks like it’d be a below bog standard antos(doing no more than 41.5 or something silly) as this is what they’ve been trialing/trialling lately.
Only sites that’d get axor/antos are what’s run by tesco or dhl I think, there are even 62reg knocking about so they’re still being made :frowning:
‘Mike68’ were those 12 CFs delivered brand new…?

Obviously Stobrat sites get G-series scrapias.