TESCO Truck Spec

Saw a Tesco Mercedes unit today with high roof cab,metal panels in the sleeper rather than glass and just generally looked more of a general haulage truck than a basic fleet spec motor.
Wasn’t a subbie or hired motor IMO as it had TESCO written on the unit.
Have they started upping the spec of their units or are there some that do nights out maybe?

Stranger things have happened :laughing:

Davnic:
Saw a Tesco Mercedes unit today with high roof cab,metal panels in the sleeper rather than glass and just generally looked more of a general haulage truck than a basic fleet spec motor.
Wasn’t a subbie or hired motor IMO as it had TESCO written on the unit.
Have they started upping the spec of their units or are there some that do nights out maybe?

As tight & ■■■■ as they(tesco) are I doubt it. There are some ex Irish motors knocking about in some depots with grey wind deflectors & a high roof, are they the ones you’re talking about?
If they are they must have been shipped over when stobart took over as stobart don’t make a habit if running poor quality kit…
Out of all supermarkets I think Asda run the best fleet/motors(scania). That topline looks like either a pr stunt, driver trainer, rental for peak, freebie from scanny or for their ‘driver of the year’ like Sainsbury have…except Asda don’t seem a tight bunch to get them crappy axors in black!

Asda have always ran the odd topline. I remember a couple of years ago I would always hide it in the yard hehehe

Topliners for top drivers… :smiley:

Sainsburys have a few also. They are a high roof and have no windows side/rear of the bunk. The also do not have wind deflecters behind the cab.

The couple I know of were the very first of a batch of 61 plates that arrived months before the rest. Maybe they were demonstrators to try and get a higher spec sale?

Asda’s Dave is driver of the year

A NEWPORT delivery driver has triumphed in a gruelling test of lorry drivers from across the UK’s skill.

Dave Smith, 46, from Newport, was crowned ASDA driver of the year, beating off competition from more than 50 other heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers from the supermarket’s depots around the country.

Mr Smith, who has been based at ASDA’s Chepstow depot since 2007, first had to tackle 32 questions on European and UK highway’s law in just 20 minutes, before heading out to take on tests such as navigating through cones, breaking into a specified area and reversing his lorry down an incredibly narrow alleyway. To test whether the drivers had reversed accurately there was a piece of paper stuck to the wall which they had to be able to collect from the cab window.

As a result of his win, Mr Smith will now enjoy use of a brand new Scania lorry for a year.

Mr Smith’s success in the final meant the Chepstow team have now won the competition for the second year in a row, after Steve Morgan was victorious in last year’s event.

Mandy Chambers, event co-ordinator at the depot, said: “Everybody is absolutely delighted with Dave’s win. We would like to thank Trevor Harris the depot trainer and instructor and all the volunteers who give up their own time to make the event possible.”

Source South Wales Argus
[/quote]

Could be something as simple as a cancelled order that Tesco happened to pick up on.

just because they are sign written doe’snt mean they are not subbies , its common knowledge that morrisons motors pull TNT trailers on night trunk but they aint morrison motors even though they are fully sign written they are subbies .

i cant remember the name of the firm just now but im sure someone will … :wink:

dew:
Could be something as simple as a cancelled order that Tesco happened to pick up on.

Like someone came to their senses & went to scania instead… :smiley:

bowser:
just because they are sign written doe’snt mean they are not subbies , its common knowledge that morrisons motors pull TNT trailers on night trunk but they aint morrison motors even though they are fully sign written they are subbies .

i cant remember the name of the firm just now but im sure someone will … :wink:

Seen a Morrisons Foden pulling a tipper before today, so either subbies or they’ve found a way to half the time spent unloading :laughing:

Pimpdaddy:

dew:

Like someone came to their senses & went to scania instead… :smiley:

Personally I’d call that a punishment, not an upgrade!

Why…? I’d have a scania over an axor any day…

billybigrig:

A NEWPORT delivery driver has triumphed in a gruelling test of lorry drivers from across the UK’s skill.

Dave Smith, 46, from Newport, was crowned ASDA driver of the year, beating off competition from more than 50 other heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers from the supermarket’s depots around the country.

Mr Smith, who has been based at ASDA’s Chepstow depot since 2007, first had to tackle 32 questions on European and UK highway’s law in just 20 minutes, before heading out to take on tests such as navigating through cones, breaking into a specified area and reversing his lorry down an incredibly narrow alleyway. To test whether the drivers had reversed accurately there was a piece of paper stuck to the wall which they had to be able to collect from the cab window.

As a result of his win, Mr Smith will now enjoy use of a brand new Scania lorry for a year.

Mr Smith’s success in the final meant the Chepstow team have now won the competition for the second year in a row, after Steve Morgan was victorious in last year’s event.

Mandy Chambers, event co-ordinator at the depot, said: “Everybody is absolutely delighted with Dave’s win. We would like to thank Trevor Harris the depot trainer and instructor and all the volunteers who give up their own time to make the event possible.”

Source South Wales Argus

[/quote]
Big deal. :unamused:

Pimpdaddy:
Why…? I’d have a scania over an axor any day…

If I was buying it’d be an XF 510 Superspace, no contest. If it’s provided, I’ll drive anything thats legal to be on the road.

Dafs are lovely, always wanted me a cf sc but nobody local operates them…

right reply in the wrong place - moving now

billybigrig:

Source South Wales Argus

[/quote]
Woow!

Truckulent:

billybigrig:
Dave Smith, 46, from Newport, was crowned ASDA driver of the year, beating off competition

Ewww! Better him than me!!!

billybigrig:

xxxxxxxxbreaking into a specified areaxxxxxxxx

Source South Wales Argus

[/quote]
Please tell me that wasn’t copied and pasted from what loosely passes for a newspaper these days.

Tea breaks in a specified area?

This thread and lots of others shows just how many badge and image obsessed people there are attending the steering wheel these days.
Should give comfort to the type of fleet operator who use these people…give 'em a big motor with the right badge and they’ll be happy, don’t need to pay them proper.

i saw these (3 R560S and 2 440s) in Asda Magna Park Lutterworth when the 60 reg’s came out. Dont know if they were just storing them there for someone, but they hadnt been worked when i saw them.