m6 j1s closed

RIP to the driver.

Isn’t the root of the problem that this junction, which is effectively at the very heart of the UK’s road system (the major N - S route crosses the major E - W route), is actually a mini-roundabout? At anything other than quiet times, it can’t cope with the volume of traffic, so traffic queues build up on the motorway…and it is both dangerous and illegal to stop on a motorway.

martinviking:

Jamieg:
Hogging both lanes will just cause further problems and more drivers who are not paying attention will have accidents.

The root cause isn’t the road it is the people using it.

No road is safe if the people using it don’t use it safely or pay attention to what they are doing.

This accident like all the others at this junction will be have been caused by human error.

The only question is who made the error.

It is a bad piece of road, made worse by bad drivers.

I’d rather those drivers that are not paying attention were slowed down before I get to within 100 feet of the point of no return on that Poxy Sliproad,

Tough ! If they get held up by 15 seconds because I’m blocking their road & stopping them cutting me up. Sorry to the rest of 'em who are going down the M1, a few seconds on their day won’t hurt either !
At the end of the day I’ve been cut up on numerous occasions on these sort of junctions & I want to try & live until my last breath naturally, not by the hand of some Impatient Numpty.

All you will do is exasperate the problem because the queue will stretch further onto the M6 and into more lanes which will cause more brain dead car drivers to pull out in front of trucks.

If the powers that be won’t change the road layout now your actions won’t make a jot of difference except cause further accidents.

Remember a carving knife can kill someone as well as cut up a joint of meat. It’s not the tool that’s dangerous it’s the user.

And I’m not just talking about truck drivers, there are some atrocious car drivers out there who have little idea of what they are doing or what effect their actions have.

Dieseldoforme:
I would like to see an M6 / M1 North non-stop feeder link.

That’s not all that necessary. Traffic coming down the M6 for the M1 North will take the M69. Local traffic from Rugby etc wanting the M1 North could easily cross over the A5 and join the M1 at J20.

I think this is why there’s no plans to make M6 > M1 North possible even after the proposed upgrade. A non stop link both ways between the M6 and A14 is essential though.

Jamieg:

martinviking:

Jamieg:
Hogging both lanes will just cause further problems and more drivers who are not paying attention will have accidents.

The root cause isn’t the road it is the people using it.

No road is safe if the people using it don’t use it safely or pay attention to what they are doing.

This accident like all the others at this junction will be have been caused by human error.

The only question is who made the error.

It is a bad piece of road, made worse by bad drivers.

I’d rather those drivers that are not paying attention were slowed down before I get to within 100 feet of the point of no return on that Poxy Sliproad,

Tough ! If they get held up by 15 seconds because I’m blocking their road & stopping them cutting me up. Sorry to the rest of 'em who are going down the M1, a few seconds on their day won’t hurt either !
At the end of the day I’ve been cut up on numerous occasions on these sort of junctions & I want to try & live until my last breath naturally, not by the hand of some Impatient Numpty.

All you will do is exasperate the problem because the queue will stretch further onto the M6 and into more lanes which will cause more brain dead car drivers to pull out in front of trucks.

If the powers that be won’t change the road layout now your actions won’t make a jot of difference except cause further accidents.

Remember a carving knife can kill someone as well as cut up a joint of meat. It’s not the tool that’s dangerous it’s the user.
And I’m not just talking about truck drivers, there are some atrocious car drivers out there who have little idea of what they are doing or what effect their actions have.

Ok, sorry, you’re right !
I will carry on at full pelt/56 & stay in the middle lane, that way I won’t hold anybody up & no one will cut me up !!!

Terry T:
…A non-stop link both ways between the M6 and A14 is essential.

I would like to see ALL the routes at Catthorpe having non-stop links.

The M1 to M62 intersection is a good example of what can be done,
apart from M62 (W) to M1 (N).

martinviking:

Jamieg:

martinviking:

Jamieg:

I will carry on at full pelt/56 & stay in the middle lane, that way I won’t hold anybody up & no one will cut me up !!!

You are missing the point.

Doing nothing won’t help

Causing bigger queues won’t help

Changing the road layout will help but won’t happen tomorrow

Improving driving standards will help but won’t happen tomorrow.

What will happen is they will put a 40 mph or 50 mph speed limit in as a “speed kills” solution because that can happen quickly and will be politically popular.

Will that solve the problem? Probably not but the politicians will feel better because they will have done something.

Dieseldoforme:

Terry T:
…A non-stop link both ways between the M6 and A14 is essential.

I would like to see ALL the routes at Catthorpe having non-stop links.

The M1 to M62 intersection is a good example of what can be done,
apart from M62 (W) to M1 (N).

A free flowing intersection would be great and was considered I think at one point but they’ve gone for the cheaper option and M1 North to A14, A14 to M1 South and M6 to M1 North are off the table.

Blissy:
I can confirm that it was one of our (MRCT) drivers that lost his life yesterday , he worked out of the Flixton depot and did a run to West Bromwich every day.
I wont name him on here but would like to say that he was a thoroughly decent helpful and well liked guy and will be sorely missed
RIP Mate

RIP Drive :frowning:

Jamieg:

martinviking:

Jamieg:

martinviking:

Jamieg:

You are missing the point.

Doing nothing won’t help

Causing bigger queues won’t help

Changing the road layout will help but won’t happen tomorrow

Improving driving standards will help but won’t happen tomorrow.

What will happen is they will put a 40 mph or 50 mph speed limit in as a “speed kills” solution because that can happen quickly and will be politically popular.

Will that solve the problem? Probably not but the politicians will feel better because they will have done something.

I’m not missing your point, I know if I straddle the lanes, it will cause people to slow down behind me & probably cause bigger queues. But every one has got different opinions as to what should be done about this junction, continuous flyovers would stop some of the queues, but our wonderful government won’t spend the money (wasting it on out of date Aircraft carriers, or antique computer program’s instead !)

I’ve been using this junction since 1980 & i don’t remember it being as bad as it is now, after they put the A14 ‘Mini Roundabout’ in about 20 years ago, causing chaos every rush hour.

It was a friend of mine who was driving the HGV who was killed was travelling back to Great Yarmouth just done a Trailer swap in West bromwich RIP steve

Kerbdog:

Dieseldoforme:
UPDATED:

A lorry driver has died in a crash involving two lorries,
a van and a car on the M6.

Interesting… never saw a car but it was defo 3 trucks. 2 artics and a rigid. Artics at the back.

I was northbound about early afternoon, - there was a car at the front, A rigid in the back of it, an artic had hit that, his load of timber had pushed his cab up at about 40 degrees and fallen off both sides, the artic behind had hit the timber lorry & the cab was wrecked - the dash & steering wheel were up against the curtains - horrible sight, heart goes out to all involved. Police were standing around scratching their heads, not sure where to start to sort it out.

Came back from Birmingham about 4pm and went down the 45 (had a decker) - I knew it would be a nightmare around the whole area

Double post edited

Can i just put something to bed. This junction was supposed to have been upgraded. If you remember them putting the new bridge in a couple of years ago then you may remember there was to be another linkto the a14 to bypass the roundabout and bottleneck. When the conservatives got in the first thing they done was scrapped it as a cost cutting exercise and only the old worn out m6 to m1 bridge was replaced. Yet more deaths due to cost cutting then ?

The other thing you all may like to know is that if you have an abnormal load on a STGO movement order then you still cant use that new bridge. If you are on a movement order the police send you off the junction, up to j20 of the m1 and back on yourself if you want to head south on the m1… CRAZY. Its something to do with the fact that the bridge hasnt been officially weight tested even now. There is no need for it. Just adding to the traffic that is coming off on the slip from the m6 headed for the a14. That bridge needs building asap. People on here are correct though. You get people standing on their brakes to cut in to the queue or people pulling out into the m1 bound lanes from a standing start. Yestersay it was very very wet and dark and people were all over the place. I actually moved into lane 3 where the 1 and a half mile warning lines appear when normally id stay in lane 2. You could feel a potential accident probably due to the weather conditions.

weeto:

Silver_Surfer:
People die at that junction regular as clock work. Someone at HA or government level should hang their head in shame and say a prayer for all those who’ve died there.

People are getting killed at that junction, because they don’t take any notice of what they are being told!
The HA know its a dangerous junction so spent millions on matrix signs to warn drivers, drivers ignore matrix warnings at their peril.

Drivers ignore matrix signs because they’re often bollox.

Queue ahead, 60 - 50 - 40 - 30 - 20 - National Speed Limit.

You pass an accident, next matrix sign ‘Accident Ahead’ - no, not another 1, it’s just in the wrong place, stupid accident should’ve been further up the road .

My favourite… ‘Spray’ - No ■■■■ sherlock

Or when they are flashing at 40 when you are in stationary traffic. If only you could do 40! :unamused:

That’s awful Dj duck.

We have a name, RIP Steve. Will think about it. Another chap out for a days work who isn’t going home.

waynedl:

weeto:

Silver_Surfer:
People die at that junction regular as clock work. Someone at HA or government level should hang their head in shame and say a prayer for all those who’ve died there.

People are getting killed at that junction, because they don’t take any notice of what they are being told!
The HA know its a dangerous junction so spent millions on matrix signs to warn drivers, drivers ignore matrix warnings at their peril.

Queue ahead, 60 - 50 - 40 - 30 - 20 - National Speed Limit.

You pass an accident, next matrix sign ‘Accident Ahead’ - no, not another 1, it’s just in the wrong place, stupid accident should’ve been further up the road .

My favourite… ‘Spray’ - No [zb] sherlock

“Is your vehicle ready for winter”
Saw this just after the Easter bank holiday :laughing:

I ignore them to the upmost capacity, I just use my eyes.

weeto:

dar1976:
Injuries is one thing. But more oand more, when fatalilities occur, it’s on this junction. How many fatalities will it take before the DfT take notice? Hopefully zero. But I won’t be holding my breath.

In reality, the cost of altering that junction probably out weighs the cost of a fatal accident many times over, so will probably never get done, especially when most are avoidable accidents.

So it’s official then? “Cuts cost lives.”

Its the same on managed motorway stretches and one of the reason they dont work. People who go through the same stretch every day get to know which gantrys have cameras on and only slow down to the matrix for that particular gantry. The idea of managed motorways in part is that all traffic slows to the same constant speed which would infact help everybody and cause less queing but whilst people are all doing different speeds because they know they only get flashed at certain gantrys nothing will change. They cant be average speed cameras either as the speeds differentiate to the flow of the traffic and can also be changed. The only way it would work better is if they hid the cameras. Its easier to see the cameras in a car due to the angle of the gantry if you are lower down.

Kerbdog:

Its the same on managed motorway stretches and one of the reason they dont work. People who go through the same stretch every day get to know which gantrys have cameras on and only slow down to the matrix for that particular gantry. The idea of managed motorways in part is that all traffic slows to the same constant speed which would infact help everybody and cause less queing but whilst people are all doing different speeds because they know they only get flashed at certain gantrys nothing will change. They cant be average speed cameras either as the speeds differentiate to the flow of the traffic and can also be changed. The only way it would work better is if they hid the cameras. Its easier to see the cameras in a car due to the angle of the gantry if you are lower down.

All you have to do to see if the gantry on your side of the moterway has a camera is just check the other side of the road,if the gantry on that side has one then 9 times out of 10 you’re side has one too.