m6 j1s closed

I’ve been harping on about this junction for years now.
the fact that hgv’s can run at 56mph next to stationary traffic is bizarre.
in my opinion junction 1 needs a complete redesign,linking all the roads from there.
a cheaper alternative may be close the s/b entry sliproad at junction 1,local traffic can get to the M1/A14 via lutterworth easy enough.
segregate the s/b M1 traffic and A14 traffic beginning under junction 1 to eliminate cutting in with a wide hatch section then use all 4 lanes with a managed section like on the M42.
another area which needs attention is M40 GAYDON at 7am queing traffic for 1 mile on the hard shoulder is the only thing saving a similar situation arising there.

wrecktech100:
I’ve been harping on about this junction for years now.
the fact that hgv’s can run at 56mph next to stationary traffic is bizarre.
in my opinion junction 1 needs a complete redesign,linking all the roads from there.
a cheaper alternative may be close the s/b entry sliproad at junction 1,local traffic can get to the M1/A14 via lutterworth easy enough.
segregate the s/b M1 traffic and A14 traffic beginning under junction 1 to eliminate cutting in with a wide hatch section then use all 4 lanes with a managed section like on the M42.
another area which needs attention is M40 GAYDON at 7am queing traffic for 1 mile on the hard shoulder is the only thing saving a similar situation arising there.

Well put, that’s what I was thinking, segregate the traffic further back & put proper barriers in. That would give them a lot more room to queue & hopefully stop the last minute brakers (won’t stop the Numpty’s from leaving it until the last minute to switch from the 3rd lane though, although at least the traffic would be moving when they did it !)

Winseer:

weeto:

dar1976:
Injuries is one thing. But more oand more, when fatalilities occur, it’s on this junction. How many fatalities will it take before the DfT take notice? Hopefully zero. But I won’t be holding my breath.

In reality, the cost of altering that junction probably out weighs the cost of a fatal accident many times over, so will probably never get done, especially when most are avoidable accidents.

So it’s official then? “Cuts cost lives.”

That’s been official for a long time.
They wont do anything about the roads, but they do put warning signs up, but drivers choose to ignore them!!

I favour the approach they use in Thailand. I went several years ago and red traffic lights mean green traffic lights, maybe they’re all colour blind.

To alleviate this problem at major intersections they have armed guards sitting in a booth. Oddly enough, no one jumps the lights at these places :smiley:

They could do with segregating the inside lane further back but then they’d just be crashing in to the barrier.

when going south what i do
is just after going past J1 on the M6 i get in the middle lane
and if i see traffic queueing for A14 or M6 north i get in the outside lane
as it is now a 2 lane motorway in my eyes
that way you avoid the idiots who get fed up of queueing
who then change lane unable to see the lorry hurtling down at 50 odd mph

as has been mentioned if its too expensive to build new junctions and slip roads
i would build a solid concrete barrier from just past junction 1 all the way down
the queues rarely reach junction 1
and i would put get in the correct lane signs well before junction 1

That won’t stop the collisions from traffic going around the ?-shaped junction across the outcoming traffic from the same slip road…

You raise the current exit slip off M6sb towards the ? roundabout into a flyover that merges with the eastbound A14.
The slip road from A14wb now turns a corner across the former ? junction (now oblitterated) to join the M1 northbound.
The existing recently-replaced Catthorpe bridge can stay as it is.
The Northbound M1 before this junction now has an exit slip swinging right (like M11nb Stanstead onto the A120eb) to join the other new slip road eastbound onto the A14.
The sliproads are built all at once with no access from the A14 onto M6wb, and M1sb onto A14eb and vice-versa throughout the construction process.

The catthorpe bridge could remain open as usual, with disruption comparable to last year when they changed this bridge.

Whoever devised a ? shaped junction as ‘a good idea’ on a major LGV shipping route needs to be taken out and shot! It might look like a bow tie, but anyone coming down the sliproads could easily mistake having right of way over those swinging across their path. Might as well have put in a full-blown roundabout if Farmer Giles wasn’t prepared to sell off the land required! :imp:

Building a concrete barrier from j1 would make things worse as all trattic for the à 14 and the traffic for m6 j1 are now all needing to come off at j1. It will just make a bigger problem and cause a bigger queue 2 miles earlier. Considering the amount of traffic that junction has to deal with it does cope well considering. There at least needs to be a bridge from the m6 to the a14. Today i done my first delivery before coming west on a14 to go to tesco at crick. It is a pain having to circum navigate either j1 of the m6 or j20 of the m1 to head south.

No, he means start the barrier just after j1 south kerb dog.

It would be a good idea but wouldn’t stop the reason for deaths here which is hgv’s cannoning in to the back of stationary traffic in lane 1.

Came down to this abortion of a junction yesterday around 15.30 & they were queuing for about a mile. So I put my plan into action & straddled lane 2 & 3, low & behold there was a car in front of me ■■■■■■■ about, eventually around quarter of a mile before the junction he tried to push in, I was ready for his cunning plan & just moved over into lane three giving him a blast on the horn !
Then to my amazement- there was a DFT Artic being driven by a ‘Proffesional’ Class One Driver pushing in just yards from the top of the slip road.
I reckon this is a prime place for a Mobile ‘Scamera’ to nick anybody for pushing in as its Dangerous Driving, bearing in mind only 4 days ago one of our own got killed at the same junction !

M5 northbound is just the same jn 16/15. M5 M4 plus traffic joining M5 to go either m5 nth m4 east /west.

What don’t help is traffic queuing to exit j 16 then you get ■■■■ Driver cut from lane 2 and 3 to exit jn15 to join the M4 and whilst watching the traffic coming up onto the jn some wanting to cross to head north on the M5 whilst negotiating the muppet’s that cant read the route sign’s…

I’ve said for years at the half mile marker they should just turn up on odd days AT ANY JUNCTION in the country and cone through lane one so if you aint in lane one tough your going on to the next jn and police it fining Anyone £100 cutting in at the last moment , It can be done as they use to do it in Johannesburg