m6 j1s closed

speedyguy:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Silver_Surfer:
People die at that junction regular as clock work. Someone at HA or government level should hang their head in shame and say a prayer for all those who’ve died there.

Ridiculous junction.

Just for the thick amongst us, a truck hits stationary traffic (a pretty regular occurence) and it’s somebody else at fault other than the driver :question:.

Just after the logic nothing else as it is a frequent occurence at many locations not just there.

I’m not talking about the accident itself and not any other accidents either, I’m talking about the state of the out of date junction.

Here we are in 2013 with 3 major trunk routes all meeting up at a poxy ■■■■ poor roundabout that goes down to just a single lane (if you are going A14, M6 for example)

How and why is there not just one big intersection with slip roads going where ever you want?? It’s the M1/M6/A14 for Christ sake!!!

UPDATED:

A lorry driver has died in a crash involving two lorries,
a van and a car on the M6.

The collision on the southbound carriageway near junction one, close
to Rugby, happened just before 11:00 BST.

The man was confirmed dead at the scene, the ambulance service said.
A woman travelling in the car was taken to University Hospital Coventry.

The southbound carriageway between junction one and the
Catthorpe Interchange remains closed. (2100)

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “It quickly
became apparent that nothing could be done to save one of
the lorry drivers.”

He added: "The second lorry driver, a man believed to be in his 50s,
received treatment at the scene but did not require further hospital treatment.

"The woman travelling in the car, believed to be in her 40s,
suffered neck injuries and received treatment at the scene.

"She was immobilised using a spinal board and neck collar and transferred
by land ambulance to University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire.

“The occupant of the van was uninjured in the crash.”

The Highways Agency said traffic heading for the M1 was advised to leave at junction two and take the M69 if travelling north, or the A46 for the south.

I was on the way back from the “Smoke” this afternoon when I heard about it on radio 2.
As I came up to Crick junction the matrix warned,“Queue after next junction”,that was n/b.
I left at Crick and went up the A5,I could see the s/b traffic stationary on the M6 as I went under, but s/b traffic was coming off the M6 at J1,up to the A5 then south back the way I had come,but it caused no end of tailbacks and hold ups in both directions.
I finshed up going up the A5 to the M69 then down to the M6 to find the Highways/police had closed the M6 at J2 and was directing traffic up the M69 to Leicester to get on the M1 s/b! according to radio 2.
With the rain and spray on the M6 plus the chaos on the M25 earlier,it took me 6 hours to get back to Stoke from Edmonton.

Dieseldoforme:
UPDATED:

A lorry driver has died in a crash involving two lorries,
a van and a car on the M6.

Interesting… never saw a car but it was defo 3 trucks. 2 artics and a rigid. Artics at the back.

Are they calling a rigid “A van” by any chance?

Winseer:
Are they calling a rigid “A van” by any chance?

It wouldn’t be the first time :confused:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
it aint just people hitting stationary traffic at this junction, it’s idiots pulling out of the queueing traffic coming off for the M1 North and A14 when they realise they are in the wrong lane to carry on down the M1 South even though there are signs telling them for about 2 miles to stay in the right hand lanes. Most of them don’t bother looking in their mirrors when they pull out either,just tootle along without a care in the world even though they nearly end up with 44 tonne of artic up their arse! There must be at least 8 fatals on this junction every year and yet the Highways agency or the powers that be don’t do naff all about it :confused: RIP to another driver :frowning:

its people who cant be bothered to queue in lane 1…so then try and push in,further along from lane 2.

Silver_Surfer:
People die at that junction regular as clock work. Someone at HA or government level should hang their head in shame and say a prayer for all those who’ve died there.

It has led to MP Mark Pawsey calling for the redesign of the junction to be sped up.

"On Friday I met with local Business representatives at a meeting organised with the Federation of Small Businesses to consider transport issues affecting the town.

"Everyone present agreed on the need for urgency of improvements at the Catthorpe junction.

"The current position is that a public enquiry was held and concluded on March 15, but at this stage there are no indications of the outcome or when work may be started.

"The fact there has been a further major accident today, causing traffic to divert through the town and causing extended journey times for many businesses in my constituency means that improvements should be carried out sooner rather than later.

“I have written to the transport minister asking for him to speed up the outcome of the enquiry, the final proposals for the scheme and getting construction work under way.”

Read more: Serious crash causes Catthorpe chaos as MP demands action | Rugby Observer

"Police would like to thank those motorists who were unfortunately
caught up in the congestion for their patience. The closure was
necessary to allow for the vehicles to be recovered and officers
to carry out a full investigation at the scene. Police would urge
anyone who was travelling along the M6 yesterday (28/5/13) to
contact them if they witnessed the collision or events leading up to it.

The M6 fully reopened late last night (28/5/13) after the fatal crash.
Three lorries were in collision with a car between M6 junction 1 and
the sliproad to the A14. The driver of one of the lorries died at the scene.
The southbound carriageway of the M6 at junction 19 of the M1 was
reopened just before 2230."

Yeah, it’s totally A drivers fault each time someone dies here but it’s the frequency of people dying here and over so many years that’s the issue.

Why they didn’t sort the junction when they replaced that huge steel bridge is beyond me, all the kit would have been in place.

It is slated to be done but this surely must be the most dangerous stretch of motorway in Britain today. It’s purely down to trucks polling in to the back of stationary traffic in lane 1 queuing to get on the a14 whilst lanes 2 & 3 of the m6 flow free.

Another sad day on the road.

Another driver not gonna make it home.

Another accident where someone got it wrong.

Another day of debating an incident.

Like many, I use that junction every working day.

Like many, so far so good.

Back off and junction 1, pay attention and expect the un expected.

Rest in peace driver.

Take care all.

Winseer:
Hog both lanes coming into it.
Let the buggers behind in their 4x4s hoot away. I’m not killing myself or anyone else today thanks very much, and the 4x4 tailgaters should be grateful that their lives got saved into the bargain. :frowning:

Totally agree, if they’re queuing & you are going down the M1, straddle the middle & outside lane, knock the cruise control off, be ready to brake (because some Impatient Numpty ‘WILL’ jump out of the que) Reduce all the risks as much as possible (someone will still be tailgating, it’s difficult to account for ‘Amoeba’s’/single cell Pond Life)

I video this section of road on my IPhone ‘Black Box App’ after a van cut in front of me, 100 yards before the junction (the que was about 2 miles long) & stopped dead, I was about 40 tons gross & a Renault Premium/class 1 HGV 'Amoeba’Driver locked up all 6 axles behind me. (Because he was tailgating) Luckily we got away with it.

If we all start straddling the lanes at this Abortion of a junction, when its busy ( I know we’ll be ‘Bloody Lorry Drivers’) perhaps some of the general public will start to get the message & it might just save a life !

R I P to the driver involved & condolences to the family.

Silver_Surfer:

People are getting killed at that junction, because they don’t take any notice of what they are being told!
The HA know its a dangerous junction so spent millions on matrix signs to warn drivers, drivers ignore matrix warnings at their peril.

Injuries is one thing. But more oand more, when fatalilities occur, it’s on this junction. How many fatalities will it take before the DfT take notice? Hopefully zero. But I won’t be holding my breath.

dar1976:
Injuries is one thing. But more oand more, when fatalilities occur, it’s on this junction. How many fatalities will it take before the DfT take notice? Hopefully zero. But I won’t be holding my breath.

In reality, the cost of altering that junction probably out weighs the cost of a fatal accident many times over, so will probably never get done, especially when most are avoidable accidents.

Silver_Surfer:
Why they didn’t sort the junction when they replaced that huge steel bridge is beyond me, all the kit would have been in place.

Money Money Money :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Plans to improve traffic flow at junction 19 of the M1 were put on hold in 2010 due to government spending cuts.

freeradio.co.uk/news/uncateg … ry-starts/

martinviking:

Winseer:
Hog both lanes coming into it.
Let the buggers behind in their 4x4s hoot away. I’m not killing myself or anyone else today thanks very much, and the 4x4 tailgaters should be grateful that their lives got saved into the bargain. :frowning:

Totally agree, if they’re queuing & you are going down the M1, straddle the middle & outside lane, knock the cruise control off, be ready to brake (because some Impatient Numpty ‘WILL’ jump out of the que) Reduce all the risks as much as possible (someone will still be tailgating, it’s difficult to account for ‘Amoeba’s’/single cell Pond Life)

I video this section of road on my IPhone ‘Black Box App’ after a van cut in front of me, 100 yards before the junction (the que was about 2 miles long) & stopped dead, I was about 40 tons gross & a Renault Premium/class 1 HGV 'Amoeba’Driver locked up all 6 axles behind me. (Because he was tailgating) Luckily we got away with it.

If we all start straddling the lanes at this Abortion of a junction, when its busy ( I know we’ll be ‘Bloody Lorry Drivers’) perhaps some of the general public will start to get the message & it might just save a life !

R I P to the driver involved & condolences to the family.

Hogging both lanes will just cause further problems and more drivers who are not paying attention will have accidents.

The root cause isn’t the road it is the people using it.

No road is safe if the people using it don’t use it safely or pay attention to what they are doing.

This accident like all the others at this junction will be have been caused by human error.

The only question is who made the error.

It is a bad piece of road, made worse by bad drivers.

I can confirm that it was one of our (MRCT) drivers that lost his life yesterday , he worked out of the Flixton depot and did a run to West Bromwich every day.
I wont name him on here but would like to say that he was a thoroughly decent helpful and well liked guy and will be sorely missed
RIP Mate

I would like to see the A14 at Catthorpe become part of the M6 East.

I would like to see an M6 / A14 Eastbound / Westbound non-stop connecting flyover.

I would like to see an M6 / M1 North non-stop feeder link.

I would like to see an M1 South / A14 East non-stop feeder link.

Cost ■■? Less than human life and less than fuel duty.

Jamieg:
Hogging both lanes will just cause further problems and more drivers who are not paying attention will have accidents.

The root cause isn’t the road it is the people using it.

No road is safe if the people using it don’t use it safely or pay attention to what they are doing.

This accident like all the others at this junction will be have been caused by human error.

The only question is who made the error.

It is a bad piece of road, made worse by bad drivers.

I’d rather those drivers that are not paying attention were slowed down before I get to within 100 feet of the point of no return on that Poxy Sliproad,

Tough ! If they get held up by 15 seconds because I’m blocking their road & stopping them cutting me up. Sorry to the rest of 'em who are going down the M1, a few seconds on their day won’t hurt either !
At the end of the day I’ve been cut up on numerous occasions on these sort of junctions & I want to try & live until my last breath naturally, not by the hand of some Impatient Numpty.