Lorry 'hanging out back of ferry'

Well boss, you said you were transferring me to the hanging garments wagons, thought I’d get in some practice with a hanging wagon…

That is quite a normal position to find a Turners truck in. We had Milk tankers going of road on a regular base ( first name terms with Ashley Wood recovery, frequent user discount etc… :wink: , not kidding, we needed a serious recovery for stuck trucks on a virtual weekly basis, and had three serious roll-overs in three years), and the roads to Newmarket are signposted with bits of Turners trucks…

This is going to be an expensive mistake, as Turners are self insured… I would not like to be the driver of that truck…

hello by the way, just found this forum, looks like I might become a regular.

I bet his employment status at turners could be best described as how the truck was in the pictures… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :astonished:

hopeloos:
That is quite a normal position to find a Turners truck in. We had Milk tankers going of road on a regular base ( first name terms with Ashley Wood recovery, frequent user discount etc… :wink: , not kidding, we needed a serious recovery for stuck trucks on a virtual weekly basis, and had three serious roll-overs in three years), and the roads to Newmarket are signposted with bits of Turners trucks…

This is going to be an expensive mistake, as Turners are self insured… I would not like to be the driver of that truck…

hello by the way, just found this forum, looks like I might become a regular.

Welcome Hopeloos our resident banner man (AKA ROG) will be along shortly once he’s had his dinner and afternoon nap, to give you a proper welcome. Welcome along to the mad house any way. :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pecjam23:
I bet his employment status at turners could be best described as how the truck was in the pictures… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :astonished:

Would that be ■■■■■■?

If you look at the picture its a good advert for Fieldbinder tanks !!! Proves the build quality is good if you look how it is hanging

willie_mac:
If you look at the picture its a good advert for Fieldbinder tanks !!! Proves the build quality is good if you look how it is hanging

The Feldbinder tankers we used for milk collections (from farms, both twin and tri axle trailers) were bounced around bad roads and potholed farm tracks, and in the three years I worked there, I don’t think one of them needed a structural repair, other than ‘driver error’ incidents. Clayton trailers on the other hand are complete rubbish. The road-only re-load trailers which are only about a year and a half old need constant welding, because they keep springing leaks… :unamused:

Watched a video there and a Stena spokesman said that they make sure every vehicle is safe and secure and this was the case this time aswell.

Cover ups already started as heads will roll at Stena aswell.

I’ve been on the HSS loads of times and I can never recall ever seeing my lorry being chained down. Was ALWAYS chained down on the Fleetwood crossing. I never trusted those chains 100% when I was parked on the ramp. Always pulled the trailer button and applied the spring brakes too… to be sure to be sure :smiley:

Things will change on those crossings now. Always noticed that there wasn’t many went upstairs on the late crossings from Belfast. The dockside would be full of Lorries but only a handful of men in the drivers lounge.

The only thing that was holding that lorry in place was the cab locking mechanisim. If it had failed the whole lot would have been in the drink.

willie_mac:

It would be but that tanks a Spitzer.

I know i’ve used that tank and used to drive that unit

Gat:

willie_mac:

It would be but that tanks a Spitzer.

I know i’ve used that tank and used to drive that unit

did the handbrake work when you used it■■? :open_mouth: :wink:

Breaker One-Nine:
I’ve been on the HSS loads of times and I can never recall ever seeing my lorry being chained down. Was ALWAYS chained down on the Fleetwood crossing. I never trusted those chains 100% when I was parked on the ramp. Always pulled the trailer button and applied the spring brakes too… to be sure to be sure :smiley:

Things will change on those crossings now. Always noticed that there wasn’t many went upstairs on the late crossings from Belfast. The dockside would be full of Lorries but only a handful of men in the drivers lounge.

The only thing that was holding that lorry in place was the cab locking mechanisim. If it had failed the whole lot would have been in the drink.

I’ve been on that a few times and as you rightly say,. I never once have had the motor chained down.
I have however noticed that they throw a rubber chock under the wheel of the 1st car in every lane.

If you park on a ferry, and they don’t chain you down, do you pull the trailer brake, or rely on the hand brake in the cab?

On a ferry I prefer to sit next to the life jacket station, close to an exit, and I familiarise myself with the layout/emergency way out. :wink: Remeber that a ferry usually topples over and sinks in less than a few minutes.

I think the reason for not chaining the trucks down on the HSS is because it’s an aluminium structure and the anchor points would bust out after a bit of use??!! Plus all this talk of the handbrake not being on, does anyone know that for sure? Or is it just the whole ‘my mate said so saga’.

Looks like we may have got the job of going to get it anyhow in the early part of next week. Been to get one of turner’s earlier today. They haven’t had anything major happen for a while. It’s a good company run by decent people so i’m sure they’ll get it sorted.

I think it’s the captains fault.

1. He didn’t check his load.
  2. He let th clutch out too quick and his load slipped. :laughing:

Rusty Nail:
I think the reason for not chaining the trucks down on the HSS is because it’s an aluminium structure and the anchor points would bust out after a bit of use??!! Plus all this talk of the handbrake not being on, does anyone know that for sure? Or is it just the whole ‘my mate said so saga’.

Looks like we may have got the job of going to get it anyhow in the early part of next week. Been to get one of turner’s earlier today. They haven’t had anything major happen for a while. It’s a good company run by decent people so i’m sure they’ll get it sorted.

What other logical explanation can you think off if it wasn’t the handbrake !!! :confused:

thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol … 188342.ece

scottishcruiser:
Driver had stayed in cab when the ship set off, which is ILLEGAL

Don’t be on Stena, mainly P&O, but last time I was on HSS, you were secured and headed upstairs to the passenger deck and couldn’t get to vehicle deck until the boat docked. Did he hide in the cab, or do the loading crew let you have a kip in the cab until you dock?

Had to be an E.R.F did’nt it■■?

I go on the cairnryan to larne regular and have only ever been strapped down once . they only strap you down when they are expecting a rough crossing . If the driver was asleep in his cab i bet he ■■■■ himself.

Peter said: “It was frightening. If the boat had taken in water, it could have been a tragedy.”

What a load of bull, have you seen how high up them doors are!! I can’t see any danger to anyone on the ship.