Gears 2 go brakes 2 slow

Only up to a point, the length of the pushrod determines whether the slack adjusters take up enough slack

So as an untutored newbie… this whole debate seems to hinge on a balance of risk, which is greater…

Risk of brake fade because you brake and block change…
or
Risk that white van man behind you becomes part of your load because sequential downshifts show no brake lights…

Just a thought

newmercman:
Only up to a point, the length of the pushrod determines whether the slack adjusters take up enough slack

I think you should start proving your point with real life scenarios that prove your point, and disprove my point, because this subject is getting very boring without hard evidence!

weeto:

newmercman:

I think you should start proving your point with real life scenarios that prove your point, and disprove my point, because this subject is getting very boring without hard evidence!

It’s the laws of physics mate, they haven’t changed in quite a while.

If you understood how an air brake system worked you definitely wouldn’t be relying on your automatic slack adjusters to keep you safe from brake fade.

I do understand it, which is why I use my gears and engine brake to slow me down and my brakes to stop.

Carryfast:

weeto:

newmercman:
No, same rules apply today, unless the laws of physics have changed.

Technology changed the laws of physics, especially between a truck from the 20th and a truck from the 21st century!!!

That’s what the captain of the Titanic thought when he decided to maintain full speed into an ice field safe in the knowledge that he was driving an unsinkable ship. :open_mouth: :unamused:

Meanwhile such total bollox just helps to devalue a UK licence to the point where it is not surprisingly increasingly considered as worthless in most parts of the civilised world. :unamused:

1st, the captain wasn’t driving, he was apparently getting ■■■■■■ in the bar.
2nd, they did that by letting them pass in an auto.
3rd, what other countries apart from the eu, could you drive an HGV?

newmercman:

weeto:

newmercman:

It’s the laws of physics mate, they haven’t changed in quite a while.

If you understood how an air brake system worked you definitely wouldn’t be relying on your automatic slack adjusters to keep you safe from brake fade.

I do understand it, which is why I use my gears and engine brake to slow me down and my brakes to stop.

I just let the truck do what it wants when I press the brake, and as I said never had the problem, nor have I heard any one who has, so don’t worry about it, even when going down windy hill at 100ks at 44 tonnes.

Carryfast:

weeto:

newmercman:

I’d be up for a brake fade/loss test involving multiple approaches from the M1 to Dewsbury with a fully freighted 44 tonner and see who takes out the town hall first. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

I think you worry too much.

Carryfast:

weeto:
I just let the truck do what it wants when I press the brake, and as I said never had the problem,

If that isn’t a damning indictment of where the training regime has got driving standards in the industry then nothing is.On that note where has Albion gone being that he kicked the argument off then obviously couldn’t decide which side he is actually on. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Not really, just learnt that it isn’t really something to worry about in this country.

weeto:

Carryfast:

weeto:
I just let the truck do what it wants when I press the brake, and as I said never had the problem,

If that isn’t a damning indictment of where the training regime has got driving standards in the industry then nothing is.On that note where has Albion gone being that he kicked the argument off then obviously couldn’t decide which side he is actually on. :smiling_imp: [emoji38]

Not really, just learnt that it isn’t really something to worry about in this country.

On a properly maintained and functioning lorry that’s not a problem, but if things go wrong then that’s when it’s going to end in tears.

I think expecting car like performance, both in stopping and going from lorries is a bit silly really, the stresses things like kingpins and 5th wheels are now under must be hundreds of times higher than it was when they were designed.

Right ! Once and for all, gears to slow, brakes to stop. End of !!! :wink:

Seriously though, no matter how much people try to change the laws of physics, it just ain’t gonna happen. Drums expand and linings overheat because the drums have overheated and can’t dissipate the heat caused by the friction. If the heat can’t be got rid of, you get brake fade.

With discs, the discs can’t get rid of the heat, end result ? exactly the same.

You should always keep your brakes as cold as you can by using gears, engine or exhaust brake, retarders. Never having driven an auto in a lorry, I can’t argue with those that have, but reading comments on here, it seems that a decent system downshifts and applies the previously mentioned systems.

It seems like carryfast and albion are talking at cross purposes, just as someone else has mentioned.

One more thing: Why is that geezer in the borderer using the clutch ? that squeak would drive me ■■■■■■■ nuts. :slight_smile:

I have yet to come across a driver who has experienced brake fade on a modern vehicle in normal driving conditions

Perhaps someone can give an example where this has happened ?

Carryfast:

weeto:

If that isn’t a damning indictment of where the training regime has got driving standards in the industry then nothing is.On that note where has Albion gone being that he kicked the argument off then obviously couldn’t decide which side he is actually on. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

I have been catching up on a bit of kip at odd times I might add.Very interesting views all round.Carryfast I know exactly what side I am on. :smiley:

Any chance of you answering my questions?

youtube.com/watch?v=hO9GeFAIy1Y

Anyone read the description of the video " Moving on from the rigid lorry and upgrading to an articulated lorry license "

Don’t wanna be funny but think he needs to learn how to use a bloody gearbox properly… … quite a few times where he’s on top of manoeuvres in the wrong gear…Oh but wait he’s a rigid driver, so this should gears shouldn’t be an issue… and well Im gonna say it…dont seem to much in the way of much forward planning going on…

When I saw this I thought it was in response to the article is Commercial Motor.
Now I agree with Albion about the hgv test being a basic level to be improved upon, but according to the Commercial Motor article drivers aren’t taught to use gears or auxiliary braking systems, but are expected to slow down purely on service brakes. So unless told or shown at a later point how can they develop good hill driving techniques, and if they are shown at later point would this new information not just be confused with what they were taught during their initial training?

They recalled a Safed course they did about 10 years ago, the instructor not only wouldn’t allow them to use gear changes to help retardation, but also wouldn’t allow them to use the auxiliary brake system on the principle that it increased the engine revs, thus using more fuel, even though a modern diesel engine doesn’t use fuel on the over run and that using auxiliary brakes lead to extra ware and tare to to gearbox and clutch, even though Commercial Motor pointed out to him that the components are made to do the job.

They finally wished him “Good Luck” is he ever had to drive a fully loaded truck across the alps, using the techniques he taught.

But this doesn’t seem to be the manufactures point of view, I had a “familiarization drive” with an instructor from Volvo when we got our first Ishift truck. he was very keen that we used the VEB in conjunction with the auto gearbox. And the same seems to go for the Renault Trucks judging by the video posted by Carryfast about using the Voith retarder in their trucks.