Four people dead in Bath after truck incident [Merged]

renaultman:

ROG:
Are there any mechanics on here who can explain how a brake failure can occur on a LGV :question:

The only thing I know is that if it looses the air then the brakes lock on but that’s the limit of my knowledge …

More like ‘cooked’ the brakes (using them so much they overheat and become massively inefficient)

Otherwise known as Break fade

nick2008:

renaultman:

ROG:
Are there any mechanics on here who can explain how a brake failure can occur on a LGV :question:

The only thing I know is that if it looses the air then the brakes lock on but that’s the limit of my knowledge …

More like ‘cooked’ the brakes (using them so much they overheat and become massively inefficient)

Otherwise known as Break fade

Brake, not a 45 min Break :wink:

Is it just me who things it’s nothing more that downright disrepctful to those that die/suffer injury in a accident when people make assumptions about the cause or what happened?.

ckm1981:
Is it just me who things it’s nothing more that downright disrepctful to those that die/suffer injury in a accident when people make assumptions about the cause or what happened?.

Not just you. I feel the same way. But back in January I got involved in debate about people posting jokes online about the the Glasgow bin lorry crash. Apparently it’s “freedom of speech” to be allowed to make jokes and insult people who have only been dead 10 minutes. So by that way of thinking there will be plenty people who wont think twice about dissecting what happened and pointing blame.
Having said that though,as someone else said you can have a reasoned discussion and maybe pick some things up to use in your own day to day life to maybe prevent this sort of thing happening to you.

ckm1981:

It’s human nature to dissect the causes of accidents and tragedies after the event. It helps people come to terms with it and learn how to best avoid it happening again.

It’s no different than a debrief after an SAS mission, or a debrief at a factory after an accident.

If you don’t like it, don’t read the thread titled “four people dead after truck accident.”
Everyone here feels sorry for all those who are involved, but we are also truck drivers, some of whom also use that road frequently, so I for one, want to discuss it and it’s causes as much as I can, as one day it could be me in that situation.

I don’t see anyone who has contributed to this thread being disrespectful.

There’s been some speculation about possible causes, but that’s what you’d expect from a forum where most people who take part drive trucks for a living.

IMO there should be far more attention paid to what causes these accidents and how they might be prevented. the current system is devoted to discovering who was to blame and deciding how they should be punished.There’s very little thought given to how to stop it happening again in proportion.

A really good DCPC module might be “Three serious RTAs involving trucks and how they might have been avoided.”

You could have one insecure load, one driver error and one mechanical defect incident. Take people through what happened and then discuss at what point an accident became unavoidable and what the driver could have done to
a) Avoid it
b) Make it less serious.

109LWB:

ckm1981:

It’s human nature to dissect the causes of accidents and tragedies after the event. It helps people come to terms with it and learn how to best avoid it happening again.

It’s no different than a debrief after an SAS mission, or a debrief at a factory after an accident.

If you don’t like it, don’t read the thread titled “four people dead after truck accident.”
Everyone here feels sorry for all those who are involved, but we are also truck drivers, some of whom also use that road frequently, so I for one, want to discuss it and it’s causes as much as I can, as one day it could be me in that situation.

This is a common problem on the world of Internet,people gloss over someone’s post and write an angry reply.
Where exactly did I say people shouldn’t disscuss it?,I simply stated people shouldn’t make assumptions as to what actually happened.
A discussion based on facts is completely different to a discussion where posts start with the word “apparently” it “I bet” or “my cousin Fred told me” ect ect.
I very much doubt a de-brief by the SAS is based on assumptions,I dare say it’s based on factual information,they are kinda picky like that.

Would this type of eight wheeler Scania run on discs or drums anyone know?

switchlogic:

raymundo:
The MAIB (marine accident investigation branch) do that when any incidents happen at sea, they investigate the event, come to a conclusion as to why/when/how it happened and without naming the people/company they then publish their findings in a regularly published document available to any one.

That’s the sort of thing I was thinking of, they do it for air traffic too. At its simplest form the investigation results could be distributed to operators by DVSA and then passed on to drivers. We can all learn from these these accidents and the mistakes and/or failures that led up to them.

They also do on the Railways through the RAIB who’s reports are posted on line for all to see and learn from

moomooland:
Would this type of eight wheeler Scania run on discs or drums anyone know?

I just looked at the spec sheet, and it didn’t say!

ckm1981:

109LWB:

ckm1981:

This is a common problem on the world of Internet,people gloss over someone’s post and write an angry reply.
Where exactly did I say people shouldn’t disscuss it?,I simply stated people shouldn’t make assumptions as to what actually happened.
A discussion based on facts is completely different to a discussion where posts start with the word “apparently” it “I bet” or “my cousin Fred told me” ect ect.
I very much doubt a de-brief by the SAS is based on assumptions,I dare say it’s based on factual information,they are kinda picky like that.

By that logic then, we can’t talk about It. Because no one on here knows the facts.

So all lets just sit in silence and never dare speak u til we have the full police enquiry in front of us.

I remember having a brake hose burst on a loaded Sed Ak 400 and the spring brakes came on with such force that it threw me across the steering wheel and the car following (our manager as it happened!) nearly went under the truck! That was on the level though and not downhill. Somebody mentioned that spring brakes only worked on the drive axles, but on Fodens etc it was only the rear axle that didn’t have them as they got in the way of paver rollers so the first three axles were on spring brakes.

All totally irrelevant of course if the linings/pads were cooked. :confused:

Pete.

Has the operator been revealed? The colour of the load and the livery of the truck remind me of a Wiltshire operator.

The lorry driver is reported to be only 19.so lack of experience could of been a factor here.

jediknight:
The lorry driver is reported to be only 19.so lack of experience could of been a factor here.

Do you no longer have to be 21 to have a license then? :confused: Just wondering, that’s all.

Pete.

No some companys have the apprenicship scheme where they train younger drivers to get them into the industry.

jediknight:
No some companys have the apprenicship scheme where they train younger drivers to get them into the industry.

Thank you for that explanation. I listened to it all on the BBC news this morning and there was no mention of a width or weight limit on the road so maybe they are keeping things under wraps until more is learned? There was a service at the local church around 10 am this morning and the road and school were both closed.

Pete.

After looking at a close up of the tipper, it’s not either of the two firms I was thinking of.

windrush:
I remember having a brake hose burst on a loaded Sed Ak 400 and the spring brakes came on with such force that it threw me across the steering wheel and the car following (our manager as it happened!) nearly went under the truck! That was on the level though and not downhill. Somebody mentioned that spring brakes only worked on the drive axles, but on Fodens etc it was only the rear axle that didn’t have them as they got in the way of paver rollers so the first three axles were on spring brakes.

All totally irrelevant of course if the linings/pads were cooked. :confused:

Pete.

Scania has spring brakes on axles 2 & 3: but not enough to hold that truck with that load on that hill.

Looking at the wider picture…I think some types of truck, including tippers, should have an additional gvw allowance for a retarder…ie if the retarder weighs 300kg you should be allowed to gross at 32,300 kg. That was the system in Spain years ago…they even used to have Telma retarders on trailers…with what looked like drive axles connecting them.

windrush:

jediknight:

Thank you for that explanation. I listened to it all on the BBC news this morning and there was no mention of a width or weight limit on the road so maybe they are keeping things under wraps until more is learned? There was a service at the local church around 10 am this morning and the road and school were both closed.

Pete.

I use that road sometimes and its exceptionally long and steep even in a city where steep hills are the norm.

You approach it on several steep hills too, so a truck’s brakes might well be quite hot even before the descent.

Minimum driving age for all classes of LGV is now 18 years old.

The ‘modern’ truck driving technique which trainee drivers are told is ‘Gears to go, brakes to slow’. No doubt this works well enough driving a semi-laden truck around an urban test circuit, but it’s hardly proper truck driving.

If the wheel brakes are sufficient, why do trucks have exhaust brakes, engine brakes and at least the option of a retarder? And why aren’t theses secondary braking systems included in the truck-driving test, which is now 4 parts and includes searching your vehicle for illegal immigrants…which is handy if you are driving a tipper truck in the Mendips.