Do you want to be called drive?

really doesnt bother me as long as im unloaded & loaded quickly :laughing:

tyler4164:

me i couldn care less either way.

Back in the old days of steam railways, the drivers of same were treated with respect, and when addressing them they were referred to as “Driver Smith” or whatever. This was, I think, also the practice in a lot of haulage companies, especially those where the TM was an ex-military man.

I’d like to think that this practice continues today, so I really can’t see what David H. is getting so anally retentive about. If the warehouseman doesn’t know your name (and let’s face it many have trouble remembering their own :wink: ) then personally I’d sooner be addrerssed as “Driver” or “Drive” (which is only a corruption of same) than “Mush”, “Mate” or whatever.

I take it as a term of respect for my trade.

As for being called “Sir”; courteous yes but why should he portray himself as your inferior, which that would imply?

Certainly. If you read my earlier posts you’ll see that it’s the way in which ‘drive’ is said that people (not just me) find offensive. Bye the way…what trade? What respect? There isn’t any, and thats just it. People post replys that project them as being shoulder shrugging couldn’t care less nothings…that wants to get tipped quick to be a nothing at the next place. Get lives. You’re being sold short but there again none of you appear to know what self respect is anymore. As for your precious trade or whatever you want to call driving these days, it doesn’t amount to much does it? Try talking to another driver, pallet this…booking time that…phoned the boss blah blah…office knows nothing boo hoo… PS: The older drivers were the ones to let it slip a little me thinks. As for ■■■■, pull you own curtains!

Right, I’ve been reading this and biting my tongue long enough.

David H, have you never realised that you only command respect if you give it?

Your initial post was instantly derogative to Goods In ‘Female’ staff, why on earth would they treat you with any respect?

I have been doing this job for 28 years as a female tramper, I give AND GET, respect, it’s the way I work, the way I was tought and the way to get the job done quickly and efficiaently :unamused: :unamused:

You David, are being sold short, not us older drivers.

We realised that it was pie in the sky when the Unions promised us £10 an hour when the WTD came in, along with a massive shortage of lorry drivers.

We’d heard it all before, and it was the younger drivers, like you, who thought it would become reality and now spend their days hating the fact that they are in a job that otherwise wouldn’t have appealed to them :smiling_imp:

As for letting it slip, I think you need to understand that as far as we’re concerned it is a trade, a profession, and we’re proud of the knowledge we have. ( Maybe you haven’t yet gained that knowledge) :exclamation:

If you don’t feel the same way then can I respectfully suggest you get out of it, and allow more room for the youngsters who do care…there are plenty of them about :unamused:

Pat

just out of interest when i was on the electrics i was called " sparks " by other trades and that didnt bother me either. :wink:

I actually got called “Mr xxxxxx” at chep[stow the other day, by a security bod as well :open_mouth:

Seriously I don’t mind being called “drive”, because as has been said they don’t know my name. Like wise I call everyone “chap” for the same reason.

“Stick it on bay 17 drive”

“OK chap”

easy isn’t it

I think this should be on the " For the tarts among us " thread.

God you must have a real bad life if you get upset by being called " drive ". Get a life or if it really upsets you that much get a different job, Tarts.

It dont bother me one bit wether I’m called drive, mate chap etc etc at least your being acknolwedged, some places ive been the closest thing to speech has been a grunting from the goods in desk and a load of swearing from the warehouse

And it goes on. Lots more opinions, mostly written while sat on an outside toilet by the sounds of them (oi loik beeyin’ cawled droive…). Lets face it, the only reason ‘drive’ is accepted so readily is because people arn’t prepared to call you anything else. Sorry I’m not as macho as you real drivers (male and female) but I can’t get a life if I’m having so much trouble living this one. I’m getting the opinion that if some of you wern’t called ‘drive’ everywhere you went you’d forget yourself, wonder what you were doing there and catch the bus home.

Ok then¨´Mr H´ what would you like to be called? but please bear in mind that the person speaking to you probably sees a huge amount of strangers just like you every day of his life and do you know his name?

OK, good call. In my first post I mentioned Tesco and Morrisons as being the two main places where ‘drive’ is used. On arrival, I press a button to alert the staff (with a bleep bleep etc) 99% of the time the response is 'Ello drive. Who are you drive? Whats your reference number drive? Reg drive? Booking time drive? Bay 14 drive? In other words ‘drive’ is used at every opportunity. On one occasion I was greeted by ‘Good afternoon. Can I have your name please’, I gave it and during the conversation it was used once and the job got done. My point is that when the possibility of asking for a name arises, why not take it. Using ‘drive’ at the end of every sentence can grate. As it goes, at one location a female regular receives an appology when staff realise they are talking to her.

I can see how meeting faceless people poses a problem when communicating, but I often find myself in that situation too. Next month I’m attending an exhibition in the Middle East where delegates don’t wear name tags. I get round it by being polite and nobody yet has pulled me up and said call me a such and such and get a life if you don’t.

I started this post purely to voice an opinion and gauge the reaction. I stick by what I said at the start, I think calling people ‘drive’ is cheap. The second person to post agrees, and he stated why. I find that a lot of people in this industry roll there eyes in mock tedium at anything that crosses their radar regardless of how they really feel about it-as is the culture.

David H:
And it goes on. Lots more opinions, mostly written while sat on an outside toilet by the sounds of them (oi loik beeyin’ cawled droive…).

I’m getting the opinion that if some of you wern’t called ‘drive’ everywhere you went you’d forget yourself, wonder what you were doing there and catch the bus home.

Mr. H., you started this thread by complaining that being called “Drive” was disrespectful.

Assuming you are actually an HGV driver yourself (and not a newly-commisioned subaltern doing a bit of moonlighting :wink: ) then I’d suggest that the tone of your comments above denotes a serious lack of respect for your peers; or should that be social inferiors? :wink:

whooshwhoosh:
so the 2 makes arent daf/merc as in your signature pics then? :wink: :laughing:

The DAF was my first decent motor after a Mk 2 Atki 40 years ago.A few years later I got into Volvos and have never found a more reliable truck,the same goes for my cars,I’ve had only Volvo cars for the last 30 years.
The Merc is the one I HAVE to drive when working for Fedex.

didnt get called “drive” today only had 5 drops which had never been to before and i got called all these names at the different drops…

darling
lovey
sweetie
love
sweetheart
trouble :open_mouth: :blush:
petal :imp: :imp:
honey
and one or two more i cant remember

can only think it was the aftershave i put on this morning :wink: :wink: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

And before for smart arse asks yes they were all women :wink: :grimacing: , must be something in the water where i delivered, still beats “drive” i suppose, dont mind it from the ladies at all but if men calling me those names they’d meet the business end of my clipboard :exclamation: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

anybody else get called these sort of names when delivering to customers :question: :question:

Oh in case any ones wondering i was delivering a load of long plastic white sticks to all these customers… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

it depends on the manner in which it is said.

1. “alright drive, have you got your notes? thanks, i’ll be with you shortly.” now that’s ok.
  2. "Drive, got yer notes? then looks at you as if you are scum. now that’s not ok.

the answer to senario number 2 is. “Call me Sir and i’ll let go of your throat”. that one always works, it’s become like a calling card. :laughing:

If somebody wishes to call me ‘drive’ that’s fine, I politely call them ‘■■■■’. If they want to know why I call them ■■■■, I tell them I thought that was their name like they thought my name was ‘Drive’.

Tiger.

tyler4164:

Me too :laughing:

Personally im not bothered, its kinda like an ice breaker, theyre not gonna know your name (unless theyre psychic) and not many people like being called mate by a stranger. If you visit the same place a few times your soon on first name terms :slight_smile:

I called “drive” by a “forkie” the other day - I actually thought thats cool :blush:

after all the other posts which i have read i can honestly say that being called "drive/driver/etc " is fine by me as long as its not in a derogatory way .i.e. “can’t you back on the bay then drive”…“how much room do you need drive” (which i offer keys and ask forkie to show me )… latest one from a “FORKIE”
“NO ONE TOLD ME WE WAS TESTING A NEW FORK TRUCK SO PARK ROUND THE BACK AS FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN” and yes he was shouting so i parked at the exit gate blocking everyone trying to leave :wink: he was very rude in manner and also adressing me so he got it back (politely) by me doing what he said. after awhile a manager asked me what i was doing and i told him “your forkie said park here till im told different”
nough said!!!
being called " DRIVE…DRIVER…TRUCKIE,whatever is not a problem as long as it’s said in right context i.e with politeness /courtessy etc, if not reply in same manner of rudeness.
i do find alot (not all) shunters are rude especially to agency/new drivers :wink:

hat coat taxi and plane