Do you want to be called drive?

Some years ago I was doing a job where I had to fill up a form for strangers. The first question was, of course, Name?

I soon noticed how oddly people react to being asked their name. Some would say “Mr Smith,” some “Mr David Smith” and some “Dave Smith” (OK they weren’t all called Dave Smith but you get the point.)

For some strange reason there seemed to be an almost universal hesitation about saying their names. I did wonder if it’s because most of us have several different names. Darling (if you are lucky), Dad (or Mum), your first name, Mr, pet family names, nicknames at work and so on.

At an RDC I wonder which name you want to hear shouted out when you are wanted? When you are face to face you are just another one of a weary procession of drivers that the clerk has to deal with. Your paperwork probably has missing information, you are likely to be early or late, the goods you are delivering will be urgent or not really needed and so on. That clerk is probably badly paid and has very little job satisfaction, so it’s little wonder that they look for an inoffensive and universal name for all of us. It seems to me that “Drive” is as good as any other and I would be interested to hear a better alternative.

The comment about “low self esteem” seems to me to be totally false. In fact I suggest that anyone who has issues with being addressed this way has a few problems of their own.

Incidentally; I too hate being whistled or hooted at.

Agree with the above really. No problem for me. Better than some names we could be called.

Altho i also hate being hailed across a busy yard and then waved at. Not knowing at all what the shunter / manager is on about lol. For all i know hes landing a 747 on the place. :laughing:

Slight deviation off subject, I was tipping at ASDA Wakefield one xmas. There were about 10 of us stood in the booking in hovel. A driver walked, handed his paper work to the little pakistani man behind the glass. Upon finding out what he needed to know the driver cheerfully said " cheers ■■■■ " to which the little ■■■■ man replied " theres no need to call me a ■■■■■! " We roared! Couldn’t fault him, his sense of humour was spot on.

Like others have said it’s not a problem what you’re called, it’s how it is said!
definately never respond to a whistle or oi though!
Being local to Melton Mowbray i know a few of the lads in asforby storage depot, used to sub to Elddis pulling out of there, it was always a good feeling when a bunch of drivers were stood round and they’d call out their reg no and bay on the tannoy, then call me to the bay by name!

MR VAIN:
Slight deviation off subject, I was tipping at ASDA Wakefield one xmas. There were about 10 of us stood in the booking in hovel. A driver walked, handed his paper work to the little pakistani man behind the glass. Upon finding out what he needed to know the driver cheerfully said " cheers ■■■■ " to which the little [zb] man replied " theres no need to call me a ■■■■■! " We roared! Couldn’t fault him, his sense of humour was spot on.

I’m from Wakey Rob…there’s lots of ■■■■■ round here, I call people ■■■■ all the time, all round the country…never had any bother. Must be the menacing undertones of latent violence I exude, …or my strong Yorkshire accent and the fact that I’m quite clearly as mad as a fish :laughing: :wink:

Anyway, that post reminds me of when I was learning to speak Spanish. One of the 1st phrases I learned was “MUCHOS GRACIAS ■■■■■” which translated means “TA VERY MUCH ■■■■”.

I’ve had lots of fun with that one :wink:

bloodoodle:

The UK is the only place I’ve heard ‘drive’ being used, mainly by overweight chip eating menopausal women sporting bad haircuts

Have you looked at the state of who their addressing? :unamused: :unamused:

It was probably the proudest moment of my driving career the first time I was called ‘Drive’. I looked behind me to see who they were talking to but it was me :smiley:

In those days, as Lucy knows, for a woman to be called ‘Drive’ it meant we had
finally been accepted :smiley:

Pat

Gotta agree with that. It beats being greeted with “Babe”, “Darlin’” or “Sweetheart” as well. One that still irritates me is “Alright Driv…Oh. Sorry Love.” :confused:

When I run out of Teesport our paperwork has our name written on the top - in some cases a nickname to distinguise between two drivers when it gets sent to the yard. Which means that whilst I get called “Lucy”, we have other drivers who are known to complete strangers as “John Jock” or “Billy the Fish”. Tickles me whenever I hear it being shouted across a yard…especially when I know where the nicknames have come from… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I really did not think this thread would take off the way it has done so. After all…what’s the big deal? People at goods-in etc can spank my ■■■ and call me Suzi for all I care, as long as it polite :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :wink: :open_mouth: . (Whoever made the comment about not responding to a whistle is spot on…that is just rude)

As long as my pay goes in every fortnight, that’s all I care about.

Paul (Or should that be ‘Drive’? :sunglasses:

More good and persuasive points. I refer to my first post in that I have returned to part-time driving work…after 8 years doing other things. I mentioned in a further post that it was the context in which ‘drive’ was said that made it worse although I stand by the fact that I don’t like it as a moniker. As far as self esteem goes I’m sorry but I have seen a noticable change during my absence. I would not say, on the whole, that drivers are valued or that they show signs of high self esteem. More the case that they sit downtrodden in their trucks watching tv on some overpriced motorway service station car park with an ‘out of order’ sign plastered on the shower door-and can (and will) do nothing but accept it day in day out.

I’ve no problem with being called drive,10 yrs as a train driver you get used to it.I also refer to groups of people as ladies or girls (even management) never had any complaints.
The only thing that seems to throw people is if I call another driver Brother or Bro,must just be a railway thing I suppose.
Simon :sunglasses:

“Drive” or “Driver” does’nt really bother me at all as long as i’m treated with respect they can call me what they like,apart from “Jock”.
Just a pet hate of mine, although i dont here it so much around Yorkshire where i spend a lot of time, the further south I go the more I here it. :imp: :imp:

A good post this, with me it all depends on the way it is said. After all I live in Derbyshire and everyone calls me “Duck” Ive started doing it myself now.

I dont respond to Oi, whistles or Hey, nor to Drive or Driver, even Friend can be spoken with contempt :wink:

It helps if someone calls me Drive and I can call them Deskie or better still Ginge, Specs, or Baldy. :stuck_out_tongue:

To be honest, it doesnt really bother me. what bothers me is the way it is used.

David H:
(I will probably pay dearly for the above comment)

You actually think anyone will care :laughing:

David H:
my objection to the use of ‘drive’ occurs when ‘drive’ is obviously being used because of the stigma it carries

What’s this stigma you refer to, in spite of what the “they all hate us” brigade say, to the best of my knowledge I’ve never been looked down on or ridiculed for being a driver … for being old bald and short sighted yes :frowning:, but never for being a driver :unamused:

In case you’re not aware of it this country is fighting in two wars, we’re diving head first into global recession, in every town and city in the country the streets are over-run with yobs hooligans puffs crooks and conservatives, and you’re upset about being called “drive” :laughing:
I’ve deliberately left a coma out of the above paragraph just to upset you :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll tell you what I don’t particularly like though, when I go to an RDC (or anywhere else) and people call me “Mr ”, I feel that’s too formal for the job I’m doing and I don’t think it helps to create the right atmosphere, whilst calling me either by my first name or “drive” helps to create a much friendlier atmosphere :wink:

David H:
to me, ‘drive’ compliments entirely the traditional lay bye dossing burger bar scoffing fat gut image attributed to a wagon driver but It would appear that some people are happy to labeled as such.

And therin lies your problem Dave. You see to most of us ‘drive’ entirely emobidies the description of the driver of the truck, but with your negative stereotype attatched firmly in your head and the fact you are now after 8years a truck driver i can see that you have issues relating to what you see and what you are called. If you don;t like it you could always indulge ina burger or two and have a kip in a layby , surely? If for no other reason than not to let them down in their expectations?

Its been emotional. There is a definate polarization of values among people posting, and I must say their opinions have further peeled the scales from my eyes. I’m out and about this weekend so I did a straw pole and asked the guy (who I know) loading next to me about being called ‘drive’ and he replied that in his opinion it was condesending. But many people here think otherwise and I respect there feelings. What does suprise me is that so many posts appear to defend a ‘drive’ image that I have never felt compelled to relate to regardless of when and where I’ve worked.

As I know see it the problem, if I have one in this area, seems to be that I placed the (popular) topic on the forum and offered an explaination as to why I thought it offensive. In reply, for my pains, I get what is basically an invitation to accept being called ‘drive’ or be labelled a snob with issues if I don’t. It leaves me all empty and welled up with tears as so many post speak of strong gutsy opinions placed by drivers who firmly know there place and are proud to lie in it while being buffeted to sleep by passing wagins outside a potholed industrial estate.

Whats a wagin?

David H:
As I know see it the problem, if I have one in this area, seems to be that I placed the (popular) topic on the forum and offered an explaination as to why I thought it offensive. In reply, for my pains, I get what is basically an invitation to accept being called ‘drive’ or be labelled a snob with issues if I don’t. It leaves me all empty and welled up with tears as so many post speak of strong gutsy opinions placed by drivers who firmly know there place and are proud to lie in it while being buffeted to sleep by passing wagins outside a potholed industrial estate.

No, you’re right to query this Dave. Its a very valid topic. Its also very valuable and smart to know your role or place in life and where you are in the pecking order, it sort of helps civilisation get along. Although i wouldn’t know about being buffeted to sleep in potholed Industrial Estates because being a smart driver i aint ever put my self in that predicament !! :wink:

thegeordie:
Whats a wagin?

Sorry mate, some of forget that Geordies can use the Internet, its the same as a lorry or a truck.!!

alfa man:
“Drive” or “Driver” does’nt really bother me at all as long as i’m treated with respect they can call me what they like,apart from “Jock”.
Just a pet hate of mine, although i dont here it so much around Yorkshire where i spend a lot of time, the further south I go the more I here it. :imp: :imp:

AH NO WORRIES PADDY!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

MR VAIN:

alfa man:

AH NO WORRIES PADDY!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
A guess geography’s not your strong point then :wink: :wink:
could be a problem with you doing a bit of driving every now and again. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

alfa man:

MR VAIN:

alfa man:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
A guess geography’s not your strong point then :wink: :wink:
could be a problem with you doing a bit of driving every now and again. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nothing wrong with my geo, just knew you wouldn’t take to being called paddy either :laughing: :laughing: