2012 the year of the troll

Rikki-UK:
You know and I know …
Oh I Iook, and never cease to be amazed at the immaturity of some folks who claim to be adults- but hey hoy if it swings your boat

I quite enjoy immature stupidity of all kinds it makes the world a brighter place.

Good grief Rikki are you having a meltdown? Certainly looks like it. Have you never heard the phrase ‘rise above it’? You run the site you’ve nothing to prove so why get into ■■■ for tat fights with the members? You say criticism is like water off a ducks back but it clearly bugs you. You should just concentrate on your own website and ignore all the rest. Thats why I try to do and my website is tiny in comparison.

Anyone got a link to this anti trucknet Facebook page?! :wink:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

switchlogic:

Thats the problem! There isn’t one Luke! :neutral_face:

dessy:

switchlogic:

Thats the problem! There isn’t one Luke! :neutral_face:

Oh, I’d best go and create one then while I undermine this one with my two secret trolling accounts :wink:

Rikki-UK:
There is no way of avoiding it 2012 was the year of the troll, where a small number of people (some with multiple identities) created an atmosphere that the majority of posters disliked. The admin team at the request of members had backed off on the level of moderation, no two ways about this, it backfired and let the trolls run riot for a while.

A little too late we cracked down, a process that is still ongoing, but slowly and surely the trolls individually are overstepping the mark and finding it more difficult to post freely. It will always be impossible to eliminate trolling completly and our best advice is to not feed the trolls.

Rikki, If you put as much effort into actually dealing with the trouble-causers as you do writing long essays about it, the site would run itself just fine. :bulb: The problem you have Rikki - and as I’ve said countless times before - is that you don’t know your arse from your elbow when it comes to forum moderating and administration. Someone put it far more succinctly than me many years ago - you have a nuclear bomb style of moderating, ie. you either do absolutely ■■■■ all, or you go completely to town with all guns blazing and lock or remove entire perfectly good discussions/debates that have run for many pages just because ONE person in the thread is acting like a [zb].

And the same thing applies to the handful of trouble-causers behind the FB troll pages. You know who’s behind them and you’ve known this for probably a couple of years now, yet instead of dealing with it and outright banning them you just keep on and on making empty threats about it and then get into long drawn-out petty arguments with them, as evidenced in this very thread. To coin a well used phrase from another site, just MTFU (man the ■■■■ up) and deal with it! And don’t give me the usual flannel about them just coming back with a new moniker, you can spot them a mile off and as soon as the trolling starts up again you hit the ban button and keep on hitting it until they get the ■■■■■■■ message that this site is for people to discuss/debate/argue about all things truck and road transport related, NOT for people that just want to get a rise out of other member and generally cause grief.

I really do not understand why you seemingly have so much difficulty applying this. It’s pretty easy to differentiate between the trouble-causers and those members that just get drawn into an argument with someone and it all gets a bit heated and some insults are thrown around. The first one needs the ban button applying but the second one just needs a friendly post inserting in the thread telling them to cool it and it usually works as they can see that an ‘authority’ figure isn’t happy with their recent posts and it focuses their attention that they need to cool down or risk a 24/48hr “break” from the site if they don’t.

Contrary to your assertions that “backing off with the moderation back-fired”, this is not true at all. The largely ‘self-moderating’ style that has been in place for the past decade works just fine for the most part but the obvious-troll(s)-is-obvious that have joined with the past 2 years should have been identified and dealt with quickly because the self-moderating style isn’t going to work for people that have joined solely to cause trouble. :bulb:

Of course I fully expect all of the above to be ignored and receive the standard “these are the rules you signed up to, if you don’t like it here blah blah blah” but my 2p (again) fwiw. :neutral_face:

Rob K:

Rikki-UK:
There is no way of avoiding it 2012 was the year of the troll, where a small number of people (some with multiple identities) created an atmosphere that the majority of posters disliked. The admin team at the request of members had backed off on the level of moderation, no two ways about this, it backfired and let the trolls run riot for a while.

A little too late we cracked down, a process that is still ongoing, but slowly and surely the trolls individually are overstepping the mark and finding it more difficult to post freely. It will always be impossible to eliminate trolling completly and our best advice is to not feed the trolls.

Rikki, If you put as much effort into actually dealing with the trouble-causers as you do writing long essays about it, the site would run itself just fine. :bulb: The problem you have Rikki - and as I’ve said countless times before - is that you don’t know your arse from your elbow when it comes to forum moderating and administration. Someone put it far more succinctly than me many years ago - you have a nuclear bomb style of moderating, ie. you either do absolutely [zb] all, or you go completely to town with all guns blazing and lock or remove entire perfectly good discussions/debates that have run for many pages just because ONE person in the thread is acting like a [zb].

And the same thing applies to the handful of trouble-causers behind the FB troll pages. You know who’s behind them and you’ve known this for probably a couple of years now, yet instead of dealing with it and outright banning them you just keep on and on making empty threats about it and then get into long drawn-out petty arguments with them, as evidenced in this very thread. To coin a well used phrase from another site, just MTFU (man the [zb] up) and deal with it! And don’t give me the usual flannel about them just coming back with a new moniker, you can spot them a mile off and as soon as the trolling starts up again you hit the ban button and keep on hitting it until they get the [zb] message that this site is for people to discuss/debate/argue about all things truck and road transport related, NOT for people that just want to get a rise out of other member and generally cause grief.

I really do not understand why you seemingly have so much difficulty applying this. It’s pretty easy to differentiate between the trouble-causers and those members that just get drawn into an argument with someone and it all gets a bit heated and some insults are thrown around. The first one needs the ban button applying but the second one just needs a friendly post inserting in the thread telling them to cool it and it usually works as they can see that an ‘authority’ figure isn’t happy with their recent posts and it focuses their attention that they need to cool down or risk a 24/48hr “break” from the site if they don’t.

Contrary to your assertions that “backing off with the moderation back-fired”, this is not true at all. The largely ‘self-moderating’ style that has been in place for the past decade works just fine for the most part but the obvious-troll(s)-is-obvious that have joined with the past 2 years should have been identified and dealt with quickly because the self-moderating style isn’t going to work for people that have joined solely to cause trouble. :bulb:

Of course I fully expect all of the above to be ignored and receive the standard “these are the rules you signed up to, if you don’t like it here blah blah blah” but my 2p (again) fwiw. :neutral_face:

'kin 'ell :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i have actually found myself in total agreement with Rob K :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:
And the same thing applies to the handful of trouble-causers behind the FB troll pages. You know who’s behind them and you’ve known this for probably a couple of years now, yet instead of dealing with it and outright banning them you just keep on and on making empty threats about it and then get into long drawn-out petty arguments with them

I agree to the rest but this bit is sort of different. This is Trucknet and the other page is Facebook, so why would the owner from this site give a hoot about what happens on FB?

That’s my two quids worth (Price of fuel etc)

mickyblue:
I agree to the rest but this bit is sort of different. This is Trucknet and the other page is Facebook, so why would the owner from this site give a hoot about what happens on FB?

That’s my two quids worth (Price of fuel etc)

when those pages are used to direct people to come here and troll deliberatly !!, you are all correct that what happens elsewhere is none of our business , however when it is used to orchestrate attacks on individuals here it needs noting we are aware of it happening, and will take action on those taking part.

Contrary to popular belief I actually do very little moderating here, I simply dont have the time, the vast majority is done very well by the admin team, Where I do step in with the big boots is when complaints are recieved.

There is tiny proportion of members who have taken it on themselves to form, away from TruckNet, a little clan devoted to chasing certain members here and annoying them as much as possible. In this thread they have had their “shot across the bows” warning… either they decide to act like adults and not bullies or they will find we will restrict as far as we can their use of this site.

And to the nuclear bomb comment, I think it more of pest extermination- the Bomb will be to shut up shop completly :wink:

Rob K:

Rikki-UK:

Rikki, If you put as much effort into actually dealing with the trouble-causers as you do writing long essays about it, the site would run itself just fine. :bulb: The problem you have Rikki - and as I’ve said countless times before - is that you don’t know your arse from your elbow when it comes to forum moderating and administration. Someone put it far more succinctly than me many years ago - you have a nuclear bomb style of moderating, ie. you either do absolutely [zb] all, or you go completely to town with all guns blazing and lock or remove entire perfectly good discussions/debates that have run for many pages just because ONE person in the thread is acting like a [zb].

And the same thing applies to the handful of trouble-causers behind the FB troll pages. You know who’s behind them and you’ve known this for probably a couple of years now, yet instead of dealing with it and outright banning them you just keep on and on making empty threats about it and then get into long drawn-out petty arguments with them, as evidenced in this very thread. To coin a well used phrase from another site, just MTFU (man the [zb] up) and deal with it! And don’t give me the usual flannel about them just coming back with a new moniker, you can spot them a mile off and as soon as the trolling starts up again you hit the ban button and keep on hitting it until they get the [zb] message that this site is for people to discuss/debate/argue about all things truck and road transport related, NOT for people that just want to get a rise out of other member and generally cause grief.

TLDR :wink:

shuttlespanker:
7/10 for the rant, could do better :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seems to have got a decent response any chance of marking up to an 8/10 :wink:

switchlogic:
Good grief Rikki are you having a meltdown? Certainly looks like it. Have you never heard the phrase ‘rise above it’? You run the site you’ve nothing to prove so why get into ■■■ for tat fights with the members? You say criticism is like water off a ducks back but it clearly bugs you. You should just concentrate on your own website and ignore all the rest. Thats why I try to do and my website is tiny in comparison.

I read criticism of myself , and while I do note some, in this case it is people choosing to troll other members here - not me. While we give virtually free reign to give me grief, and as you say most of the time its water of the ducks back, we dont allow attacks on other members, especially not co-ordinated deliberate trolling that amounts to cyber bullying.

Rikki-UK:

switchlogic:

I read criticism of myself , and while I do note some, in this case it is people choosing to troll other members here - not me. While we give virtually free reign to give me grief

The grief you get is mostly self-caused. You are going to struggle to earn yourself any respect as community manager from the members when you ignore and refuse to address issues that have been going on for the best part of 2 years. :bulb:

, and as you say most of the time its water of the ducks back, we dont allow attacks on other members, especially not co-ordinated deliberate trolling that amounts to cyber bullying.

Really? Are all the “co-ordinated deliberate trolling” posts and threads from the past 2 years that still remain on the forums (including the perpetrators) just a visage of my imagination then? Or don’t those count because the affected member(s) are not on your personal favourites list? :unamused:

I dont have a personal favourites list, if i did I would have approved the posts on this thread that were personal attacks on you,
I understand it may be a difficult concept for some, but over 5000 unique users have accessed the forum so far today , all very happily, thats who we concerntrate on… not the tiny few that shout the loudest- sorry guys but your not that important to us, the huge majority are.

It is also fun for us to see the entry points to the site for various members and see if they use the truck related forums or just come straight here to get involved in the latest dirt- gives us a heads up as to those that want to use the forums and those that want to muck rake… just saying, if the cap fits etc :wink:

Rikki-UK:

shuttlespanker:
7/10 for the rant, could do better :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seems to have got a decent response any chance of marking up to an 8/10 :wink:

no, because the original rant was ■■■■ poor, and i was being very generous in giving it 7/10

you can’t count the subsequent discussion that emanated from the original post, as that was not your rant :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

■■■■ - your a hard man Rob :wink: would a bribe help?

Rikki-UK:
■■■■ - your a hard man Rob :wink: would a bribe help?

how much■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
how much■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Negotiate with my agent- Lucy- good luck :slight_smile:

Rikki-UK:

shuttlespanker:

Negotiate with my agent- Lucy- good luck :slight_smile:

in that case, NO :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: