Which do you prefer latest actros or latest scanina

At my old place I had an S500 with high spec which got replaced by an Actros - a well specced one too in fairness with fancy camera things for mirrors.

Scania every day. Not even a question.

Now I’m a supermarket plobber and drive poverty spec motors, but we have poverty spec gas volvo at my place. I swapped it for a shift in a poverty spec Merc (one of a couple we still have) fot old times sake and regretted almost instantly and even more so after the full shift. I think it took around a week for my bones to crunch back into place.

So I guess my answer is anything but a Merc

I’d rather set fire to myself than drive a craptros. Although I’d actually set fire to the craptros so I couldn’t drive it, and subsequently any others they tried to give me in its place.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Haven’t drove a latest Actros so can’t comment on them. Drove a latest gen Scania, was alright nothing special stood out to me.
I’ve always liked Mercs, probably a bit biased as I served my time on spanners with them and my old man had his own unit when I was growing up.
They should have stayed with the v engines in my opinion. The inline 6s they have in them now just don’t look like a merc engine, they look very Mitsubishi.
Saying that, as someone has already mentioned… the 457 engine in the Axor was a great motor, don’t know if they still produce it?

Think their cars went offline after 2005/2006 personally.

dozy:
I’ve always be a Ford person so I’d like to try one of there new lorries , see them more & more , look like a Volvo to be honest , Is there a tie up there somewhere
Like one in that metallic lime green they did focus rs mk2 in , stunning

i’ve had several in here to load , i asked one of them if it was any good ’ turkish volvo’ was the reply funnily enough.i asked a pole the same question last week, answer this time couldn’t get a scanny for love nor money , got a ford in a couple of weeks .

Juddian:
Once you get over the first day or two in a new gen Scanny, they really are quite intuitive and driveable, the switches might seem odd at first but you’ll soon come to realise they are all grouped together logically.
My only issues with them is the mirrors are the wrong way up, wide angle should be underneath, and the standard exhaust brake is poor, otherwise probably among the best of the bunch to drive.

Can’t abide newer Mercs, last decent Benz i drove was an 06 plate 2543 Axor mid lift with manual box, a simple robust underrated working wagon which pulled like a train from tickover revs, the newer they get the more they seem like a computer game to me, i want well grouped robust switches not menus, i’d pack the job in if issued with one.

i was going to say about the mirrors being upside down but thought i was being a little soft. But tell me why do you need 3 buttons to level the susspention? and god knows how many to turn on the interior lights

robroy:

Juddian:
Once you get over the first day or two in a new gen Scanny, they really are quite intuitive and driveable, the switches might seem odd at first but you’ll soon come to realise they are all grouped together logically.
My only issues with them is the mirrors are the wrong way up, wide angle should be underneath, and the standard exhaust brake is poor, otherwise probably among the best of the bunch to drive.

Can’t abide newer Mercs, last decent Benz i drove was an 06 plate 2543 Axor mid lift with manual box, a simple robust underrated working wagon which pulled like a train from tickover revs, the newer they get the more they seem like a computer game to me, i want well grouped robust switches not menus, i’d pack the job in if issued with one.

I’ve only shunted one of those latest model things around the yard one day.
It had the mirror cams,.and all the electronic touch screen dog [zb] on the dash, …once around the yard was enough.
I have an utter and absolute zero tolerance with unnecessary electronic tech.
For example I was once threatened by an attendant with calling the Police, (at the wife’s embarrasment,) for trying to get out of a car park at Newcastle airport late at night,.with an impatient queue of traffic behind me,.after losing my cool.with the electronic [zb] pay at exit machine and thumping the [zb] thing (and also bleeding my knuckles :blush: :smiley: ) and telling the guy to go and [zb] himself. :blush:

The first time I got on the road and tried to do something that SHOULD be simple like turning on the wipers or something,.I’d be turning the [zb] thing round and coming back…I know what I am like.

i know you think it was a silly question but how would you of got on with this lot dreamstime.com/editorial-st … ge81218738 its a generic photo not of the one i drove

None

robroy:

largebloke1969:

Yorkielad:
I would rather drive a bus chassis up the M74 in the middle of winter with no clothes on then an Actros…

You used to see them regularly on the motorway once over, even in the ■■■■■■■ rain and all the resulting spray…not naked btw :laughing:
I always thought ‘Who tf would do that job, it would have to be well paid’'.

Seen very regularly on the M6 coming out of the Leyland plant. Drivers used to wrap up trenchcoats, scarves and wear motorcycle goggles. Am going back to the seventies.

I always thought that them bus chassis must be an awful lot of fun to drive actually. None of the electronic aids, sod all weight and loads of torque. What’s not to like? I’d probably get sacked for getting through a set of drive axle tyres in 200 miles though.

cooper1203:

robroy:

Juddian:

It had the mirror cams,.and all the electronic touch screen dog [zb] on the dash, …once around the yard was enough.
For example I was once threatened by an attendant with calling the Police, (at the wife’s embarrasment,) for trying to get out of a car park at Newcastle airport late at night,.with an impatient queue of traffic behind me,.after losing my cool.with the electronic [zb] pay at exit machine and thumping the [zb] thing (and also bleeding my knuckles :blush: :smiley: ) and telling the guy to go and [zb] himself. :blush:

The first time I got on the road and tried to do something that SHOULD be simple like turning on the wipers or something,.I’d be turning the [zb] thing round and coming back…I know what I am like.

i know you think it was a silly question but how would you of got on with this lot dreamstime.com/editorial-st … ge81218738 its a generic photo not of the one i drove

Obviously as someone as needy as you could never cope with a left ■■■■■■

Socketset:

robroy:

largebloke1969:

Yorkielad:
I would rather drive a bus chassis up the M74 in the middle of winter with no clothes on then an Actros…

You used to see them regularly on the motorway once over, even in the ■■■■■■■ rain and all the resulting spray…not naked btw :laughing:
I always thought ‘Who tf would do that job, it would have to be well paid’'.

Seen very regularly on the M6 coming out of the Leyland plant. Drivers used to wrap up trenchcoats, scarves and wear motorcycle goggles. Am going back to the seventies.

some crowd from that neck of the woods transport them on trailers now 2 at a time can’t remember their name, green motors

Least it does not have an electric handbrake. I hate those ■■■■■■■ things.
There is something quite reassuring about putting your handbrake on that you just do not get with an electric one.

adam277:
Least it does not have an electric handbrake. I hate those [zb] things.
There is something quite reassuring about putting your handbrake on that you just do not get with an electric one.

This! Truly a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

We have 68/69 R450’s, 4 step actros, Mirrorcam Actros, 18 plate Daf CF 450’s and 16 plate Daf XF 440’s.

Scania is by far the best as a user experience. Everything just works as it should. I love that the rear air can all be done on the dash unlike the others. It doesn’t excell at anything but just does everything well.

The only thing worse to drive than the Actros is the old pre facelift XF’s. I am constantly switching them to manual as they just shift up way too early in eco mode. It is almost dangerous how slow they can be.

Nothing is perfect though. Mercedes column adjust is by far the best as an example and the infotainment is fantastic on the new Actros. I love the sunblinds on the XF and the three wipers give the best coverage.

My main gripes with the Actros isn’t the drivetrain really but the start stop button, electronic handbrake and Mirrorcam. The 4 step actros (flat floor) is a fav of mine but that is mainly as they will do 56/57 on the motorway :stuck_out_tongue:

cooper1203:

robroy:

Juddian:

Looks fine to me tbh.
What I said was I ain’t keen on… as Juddian put it ‘‘Computer game electronics’’ type features,.touch screens where switches should be, mirror cams etc etc …
What I didn’t say was that I was inept and thick. :smiley:

I’d rather drive the Scania because they feel a lot more conservative than the Actros. The Actros feels like I’m driving an ipad. The Scania feels like I’m driving a lorry.

cooper1203:

Juddian:

i was going to say about the mirrors being upside down but thought i was being a little soft. But tell me why do you need 3 buttons to level the susspention? and god knows how many to turn on the interior lights

Up, down, level. And it’s all on the dash, no reaching down behind your seat for the little lead that has at least 3 buttons on. Magic!

How do you adjust the suspension on the Actros with one button?

AdamST205:
Nothing is perfect though. Mercedes column adjust is by far the best as an example and the infotainment is fantastic on the new Actros.

mine hasn’t worked for months! The volume buttons just don’t work [emoji24]

My main gripes with the Actros isn’t the drivetrain really but the start stop button, electronic handbrake and Mirrorcam. The 4 step actros (flat floor) is a fav of mine but that is mainly as they will do 56/57 on the motorway :stuck_out_tongue:

What can you possibly not like about the ignition button? Press and forget until it starts, no keys required in the ignition.
I’ve grown to like the mirror cams, don’t have much of a choice short of getting a different job.

The more I read on here about new motors with all the buttons and other ■■■■■ the more I realise I would be totally lost in the new tackle. I doubt I could even get the thing out of the yard :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
The last motor I drove was a 51 plate 420 Scania with gear lever and disc tacho, and before that a R reg 420 Scania.
( I retired a little early almost 6 years ago).