What you pull?

We all go on about what’s the best truck,unit etc, but does anyone care about the make of trailer? Being a one truck,one trailer fleet i’ve had the same Montracon for 3 years now but i’m getting a new unit so a new trailer as well.
The boss has decided on Smitz Cargobulls but we have no experience of em at all! (Montracons too dear at the mo!)
I know a lot of drivers pull different trailers every day but do you still have your own favourite, preferences?

I have a Freuhauf flat,it’s gettin on now but never need’s a thing apart from brakes pulled and greased and a little welding at doe time.
We have new Dennisons but they don’t seem to be as sturdy.

The company that I sub for uses mainly Schmitz trailers on Euro-traction work so different day = different trailer. They seem nice to pull and no real problems as I have noticed but then again I dont get the repair bills. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

we pull euroliners and fridges mosltly

euroliners are all SDC cant fault em well built and hard wearing we also have flats and lowloaders from SDC flats are good but the loaders are crap

fridges are all G&A these are probably the best fridges out there for build quality in my opinion but my 1 major fault with them is the back door seals even when new are crap

also pulled lamberet and chereau in the past no real complaints about them as they were newish at the time i have seen some after a few years work and they are scrap

we pull lawrence david trailers - usually good trailers bar last years fleet - our 2007 ones are cheap nasty crap.

we have a few 2002 Montracons and they are really good for the job :wink:

What you pull?

how dare you ask such a personal question! :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tiger.

We mainly pull Dennison and SDC sliding skellies. The Dennisons are definately better built - you can tell the two makes apart by the amount of clanking and banging as they go down the road. The SDCs sound like they’re trying to commit harikari! :open_mouth:

Still miss the old Tinsley goosenecks we used to have, even though they were so much less versatile. Pulled like a dream.

Had several bad experiences with Montracon skellies a few years ago, although that particular design was so bad even the manufacturer eventually gave up and changed it. No idea what they’re like now.

Sorry but dont rate the cargobull things what so ever i wsas shuntin at a ndc so loaded for various hauliers using various makes and the worst trailers we had to load (bearing in mind they were all side loads so we had to pull the curtains) were cargo bulls have to admit the cartwright things that we use arnt much better would say the pre 2008 lawrence davids were prob the best!!!

What you pull?

Yellow ones with 4 wheels, and as they generally go where I want them to I can thoroughly recommend them.

mine is permanently coupled to my unit.
its a 2007 transporter engineering body(the best there is on the market at the moment) tri axle.it sits off the ground with around 3 inches clearance.on its own,not counting the unit,it can hold 7 /8 cars.it pulls like a dream,only criticism is that it wears out rear axle tyres like there is no tomorrow.i"ve had 4 sets on there for around 400000 kms.the rest have been renewed once.

me Plonker :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

jacko22:
‘…do you still have your own favourite, preferences?..’

Twin-axle, please …I’m a numpty on tri’s

I agree with lawrence davids no complaints at at all with our curtainsiders . We have some new ones unsure of make with no pole in the middle and they are ■■■■ you are always doin the bloody buckles up because they always come loose.

buck73:
mine is permanently coupled to my unit.
its a 2007 transporter engineering body(the best there is on the market at the moment) tri axle.it sits off the ground with around 3 inches clearance.on its own,not counting the unit,it can hold 7 cars.it pulls like a dream,only criticism is that it wears out rear axle tyres like there is no tomorrow.i"ve had 4 sets on there for around 400000 kms.the rest have been renewed once.

Don’t forget the 4 cars you can squeeze onto your unit! (or what my mum calls “the fronty bit”).

I never had the pleasure of a plus 11 or evo.

I used to pull a Transporter Engineering plus 9 van carrier…the best car transporter semi-trailer on the market! And like Buck, it was permanently coupled to the one unit.

We always bought Boalloy trailers but now there out the game dont know wot the new one will be(few years down the line yet) but no real complaints with the trailer , only real gripe is the “flush” back doors the internal frame is cra p have had to get them fixed a few times ! in boalloys defence they dont make them so not really at fault !

Pull one of these, Lawrence David 16’ high

OK except in high winds. The load we carry is only about 2 to 3 tonnes (seating foam) and thats up to the roof. Two went over last year; Woodhead and M1 J39.

according to the plate its a 1996 King DB18/2/19.5

in reality it’s a 22 foot tandem axle trailer that looks like this

we have montracon sliders and they seem ok… but to slide you have to climb up on the cat walk and change red air line over :imp: i would have thought in this day and age all trailers would be “lock and go” or like our 59 trailers pull the park brake on then push the locking button and slide away.

i pull skellies

my preferred make is Dennison, much better build quality that SDC or Montracon

i also have an RSG EcoSlider, heavier than a Dennison, but better fuel economy

We pull van ravenhost poultry trailers,they are the curtain side trailers you see with the curtain that run around the back of the trailer (no rear doors) and the roof raises about 4 ft to allow the poultry modules to be offloaded,very expensive pieces of kit,got 3 new ones last summer at a cost of £65000 each :open_mouth: Expensive but so much better than the wilson versions we had before