Unsecured load in a Tipper?

How would you stand with this then if you got a pull, i,ve never had anything to do with tippers but surely if you can get a bollocking for not strapping 26 pallets of bog rolls in a curtainsider then this must be an offence as well, Or is it ok as its classed as a loose load and the tipper walls retain it?

Btw , i,m not trying to upset the tipper men amongst us, its just an area of load security i,ve never had anything to do with

Good question that. I would say it wants strapping but I don’t know.

I don’t think a few straps would hold those rocks if it went over.

i used to do bog rolls out of skem double deck loads and i dont remember using straps on them ?

dont tell me that its now a law as i am sure even today they dont strap them down but i could be wrong as its been a couple of years since i last did it

bobbya:
I don’t think a few straps would hold those rocks if it went over.

No mate not a chance

If the wagon goes over straps will do ■■■■ all to hold them in. :smiley: And I dont think theres much chance of the load shifting either. :smiling_imp:
I bet the “strap everything in sight” brigade are creaming their pants at this one! :smiley:

Last I heard was if it was over a certain size of stone it did not require sheeting but it may have changed now, but anybody in their right mind will understand those big lumps are going nowhere but out the back when its tipped. Eddie,

Question: How would you tip them?

Would you just tip and hope for the best that the truck doesn’t get smashed up. Or would you chain them up and drive away from them one by one?

I’m asking as I’d like to know

If tipping it wants to be on flat level ground that’s for sure. It could be grabbed out.

tango boy:
If tipping it wants to be on flat level ground that’s for sure. It could be grabbed out.

Not at the top of a hill then, with a pretty little village at the bottom. Doesn’t bear thinking about does it. Watching a giant marble heading down a hill thinking: “I’m gonna be in trouble for this!”

Evil8Beezle:

tango boy:

Not at the top of a hill then, with a pretty little village at the bottom. Doesn’t bear thinking about does it. Watching a giant marble heading down a hill thinking: “I’m gonna be in trouble for this!”

In slow motion

i,ve carried them big rocks on a flat before and obviously they where strapped, i think i would have been tempted to throw a couple across the above load as well, I thought the whole VOSA thing with strapping was to stop things moving in the event of an accident or avoidance of an accident, cant see those rocks staying put if emergency/avoiding action had to be taken

erfguy:
Last I heard was if it was over a certain size of stone it did not require sheeting but it may have changed now, but anybody in their right mind will understand those big lumps are going nowhere but out the back when its tipped. Eddie,

Think that in ‘my day’ it was anything over 8 inches except at our quarry where, being in a National Park, everything had to be rugged up. Tippers carrying those size rocks are running through Matlock in convoy daily taking stone for cutting near Chesterfield and they never strap, sheet etc. Some gets taken away from the area on flatbed artics and they put a couple of straps across them.

Pete.

Evil8Beezle:
Question: How would you tip them?

Would you just tip and hope for the best that the truck doesn’t get smashed up. Or would you chain them up and drive away from them one by one?

I’m asking as I’d like to know

If you look the rear door is hinged at the nearside like some of the skip doors so that once opened there is no obstruction for the load to catch on well that’s the theory. Eddie.

These loads aren’t “tipped” they are unloaded with a grab, also the trailers are skellys, with purpose built rock armour bodies, they are on a 3 year sea defence job up in Fleetwood, hope this helps. :grimacing:

There was a job up this way a while back and they were scow end or hinged rear doors and just tipped them out, nae bother as the saying goes. Eddie.

so the general consensus then is they are “secured” ? seems a tidy job if thats the case, 3 or 4 rocks in the back and away you go, no work involved at the other end either, steady away

Chuck a net over it,couple of ropes . . you have made the effort - jobs a goodun.
As for tipping it,looks a swing door :bulb: .

Tip on level ground , as you start to tip handbrake off, gravity pull rocks off wagon pushing wagon forward away from load, bit of a bounce but away you go…

id be tempted to chuck a chain and tensioner over the really biguns, but other than that happy days, Crack on!

B…