Unplanned night out

NewLad:

Big Roy:

bald bloke:

Euro:
I’m surprised by how unsympathetic some replies here have been.

Let’s be fair he’s on a run which could be a potential long day and add to that it was a Friday it would have been practical to put some night out gear in just in case the unfortunate was to happen, that’s why some folks are unsympathetic, as I said before I cab hop and I assess my run before going out and if there’s an element of doubt the night out kit comes with me which all fits nicely into a black bin liner so it’s easy to carry.

That’s fair enough but if you have spent the last year on doable runs to say Brum/Coventry for example and you go in in the morning and the spotty faced clerk says we’ve changed your run you are going to Romford today (and this has happened to me,) where are you going to suddenly get a night out kit? that is the point that the paperwork gets handed/thrown back over the counter and you saying I’m not doing that for all of the reasons already stated

You’ve got a mouth, tell the spotty little runt you’re a day driver and don’t do nights out so you suggest he finds you something else to do while you go and get a brew and read the paper.

that’s exactly what I’m saying

commonrail:

ROG:

commonrail:
Being stuck on the a1 for 4 hours is an unforseeable event.
Drive back to base and keep a record of why,when and where you where delayed.
Job done.

Can only do that if base was the first safe reasonable place to start the rest period - if the hold up ended 3 hours from base then its not going to wash legally

You’re talking about driving time…i’m talking about spreadover.

Makes no odds if a rest is due - if it was just driving time up but daily rest not due then it leaves the opportunity for a driver switch

ROG:

commonrail:

ROG:

commonrail:
Being stuck on the a1 for 4 hours is an unforseeable event.
Drive back to base and keep a record of why,when and where you where delayed.
Job done.

Can only do that if base was the first safe reasonable place to start the rest period - if the hold up ended 3 hours from base then its not going to wash legally

You’re talking about driving time…i’m talking about spreadover.

Makes no odds if a rest is due - if it was just driving time up but daily rest not due then it leaves the opportunity for a driver switch

Rog, what’s your view on my query to Coffee’s point??

robroy:

Coffeeholic:

scanny77:
Personally I would probably do the same thing. There is nothing stopping you from getting back to base providing it is not in a company vehicle and you are not being paid.

Not correct. Doesn’t matter on the mode of travel, or whether you are paid or not, if you go from where you left the vehicle back to base it counts as working time for the regulations and if you’ve reached your maximum it will put you over.

I’m setting myself up for the ‘that is what the CPC is for’ / ‘how long have you been driving’/ ‘you should know this’ /etc etc comments from a certain one on here, :unamused: but is that correct? or are you on a wind up looking for a mug (me :smiley: ) to bite.
I assumed (and still do really) when your time was up it was YOUR time to do what the hell you wanted as long as it did not involve a company vehicle, if what you say is true(still not convinced) the job is worse than I thought, it means you have no choices and you are basically a prisoner in your cab :open_mouth:

When on rest the driver can do what they want but the whole of the journey must be officially recorded

The journey starts and finishes at home or base

If a driver starts at A then drives from A to B to C to D and finishes using their own time to go from D to A that leaves the journey from D to A unrecorded = illegal

robroy:

Coffeeholic:

scanny77:
Personally I would probably do the same thing. There is nothing stopping you from getting back to base providing it is not in a company vehicle and you are not being paid.

Not correct. Doesn’t matter on the mode of travel, or whether you are paid or not, if you go from where you left the vehicle back to base it counts as working time for the regulations and if you’ve reached your maximum it will put you over.

I’m setting myself up for the ‘that is what the CPC is for’ / ‘how long have you been driving’/ ‘you should know this’ /etc etc comments from a certain one on here, :unamused: but is that correct? or are you on a wind up looking for a mug (me :smiley: ) to bite.
I assumed (and still do really) when your time was up it was YOUR time to do what the hell you wanted as long as it did not involve a company vehicle, if what you say is true(still not convinced) the job is worse than I thought, it means you have no choices and you are basically a prisoner in your cab :open_mouth:

You can do what you like in your own time and that includes going home, but you would have to go back to the vehicle to start the next shift you couldn’t have the vehicle recovered.

But if you’re 2½ hours from home would you really want to spend over 5 hours of your daily rest travelling home and back, personally I’d rather be prepared and carry a few essentials in my bag.

On the other hand if you’re only 30 or 40 minutes from base and your employer is prepared to recover you why not go for it regardless of how long you’ve been working, I know I would, in fact I have but I wouldn’t tell the DVSA about it :wink:

tachograph:
On the other hand if you’re only 30 or 40 minutes from base and your employer is prepared to recover you why not go for it regardless of how long you’ve been working, I know I would, in fact I have but I wouldn’t tell the DVSA about it

That is what I said a few posts back - illegal but the driver could be swapped with a car - drive to home or base then simply do a manual record for the journey afterwards

need to start 11 hour rest at 6pm with home/base 30 mins away
Another driver comes in car and does a swap
Original driver drives the 30 mins home (now 630pm) then simply does a manual entry for 5am to 530am

If no incident occurred then who is really going to find out?

robroy:

Coffeeholic:

scanny77:

Yep it’s true. It’s also stupid because you could go home or go anywhere you like except back to base as time travelling to if from a vehicle not at the regular base is other work. The regulations only say that the time spent travelling is other work, they do not specify the type of vehicle that can or cannot be used therefore even if you walked, cycled or rode a horse back that time us other work. Find if you’ve only ran out of driving time but if you’ve done your 13 or 15 then it’s a no go as far as the regulations go. Of course the real world is different and I know what I would be doing.

You could go home and then go back to the same point to start your next shift and that involves no travelling time as far as the regs go. You disposed of your time freely and you started from where you finished the last shift, no different to larking up and walking to a pub or restaurant then back to vehicle.

If you did go home then went back to base in the morning because the truck had been recoverd there would still be traveling time to be accounted for.

ROG:

tachograph:
On the other hand if you’re only 30 or 40 minutes from base and your employer is prepared to recover you why not go for it regardless of how long you’ve been working, I know I would, in fact I have but I wouldn’t tell the DVSA about it

That is what I said a few posts back - illegal but the driver could be swapped with a car - drive to home or base then simply do a manual record for the journey afterwards

I don’t really see the point of doing a manual record to be honest, in fact in the unlikely event that you got caught you could be making things worse for yourself, I just booked off where I was parked and booked the extra time on my time-sheet another day so I still got paid for it.

Obviously it’s illegal, but as long as you’re prepared to accept any consequences in the unlikely event the you get caught who’s being harmed.

The law protects a driver from prosecution,if he/she can’t legally finish their journey due to an unforseen circumstance.

tachograph:

ROG:

tachograph:

I don’t really see the point of doing a manual record to be honest, in fact in the unlikely event that you got caught you could be making things worse for yourself, I just booked off where I was parked and booked the extra time on my time-sheet another day so I still got paid for it.

Obviously it’s illegal, but as you’re prepared to accept any consequences in the unlikely event the you get caught who’s being harmed.

This^ best just to do it and accept the consequences in the unlikely event of being caught. I certainly wouldn’t be digging a bigger hole for myself by actually creating a false record. And these days with digital tachos the most accurate the start and finish places are is ‘UK’.

I’m glad when I read these posts that I don’t have to deal with the regs anymore. Working from 07:45 to 17:15 today, no break as short of staff so no one to cover my 30 minutes and I’ll get paid straight through, but it’s so quiet now that most of the afternoon will be a break just killing time, it’s why I’m on here at work now. Not many coming to a gym on the second to last weekend before Christmas. Also got 4 tellies all tuned to different channels so should be a pleasant shift really. :smiley: :slight_smile:

commonrail:
The law protects a driver from prosecution,if he/she can’t legally finish their journey due to an unforseen circumstance.

Only to a point. It doesn’t mean you can necessarily finish the journey, you can go over your hours to reach the first safe parking. And to be fair the M25 being a problen on a Friday in December when the weather is a bit crap is not really unforeseen, more like expected.

There have been cases In the past of VOSA not accepting as unforeseen circumstances a driver getting delayed by long term roadworks that regularly caused problems to traffic flow at certain times.

Coffeeholic:

commonrail:

Only to a point. It doesn’t mean you can necessarily finish the journey, you can go over your hours to reach the first safe parking. And to be fair the M25 being a problen on a Friday in December when the weather is a bit crap is not really unforeseen, more like expected.

There have been cases In the past of VOSA not accepting as unforeseen circumstances a driver getting delayed by long term roadworks that regularly caused problems to traffic flow at certain times.

Vosa ain’t as stupid as you think, commonrail is living in cloud cuckoo land :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Vosa certainly are’nt stupid.they’re also not unreasonable.
Sitting on the m25 for 6 hours because an illegal fell off the back of a lorry,is a scenario that nobody could have predicted.
The law does not expect you to roll up an old donkey jacket…and rough it for the night.

tango boy:

Coffeeholic:

commonrail:

Vosa ain’t as stupid as you think,

I never thought or suggested they were.

commonrail:
Sitting on the m25 for 6 hours because an illegal fell off the back of a lorry,is a scenario that nobody could have predicted.
The law does not expect you to roll up an old donkey jacket…and rough it for the night.

Still doesn’t mean you can complete the planned journey.First suitable parking and then you sort out your sleeping arrangements, if you’ve zero kit with you then its a hotel or make your way home if you don’t want to rough it

commonrail:

Agreed 100%
I just read your posts that it’s ok to run out of time, do a print out, explain it’s unforseen and crack on.
I agree with you to a degree but if they wanted to check it could go wrong!

commonrail:

You have more faith in the law and the people who uphold it than I do :wink:

I’ve never been one of the VOSA bashers but unless you’re involved in some traumatic event there’s only so much leeway you’re going to get, the regulations/law is quite on this, if you run out of time you can drive to the nearest safe parking place and that’s it.

OK if you’re talking about minutes because of an unforeseen hold-up I would hope and expect that you’re probably going to get away with it even if you did go past a parking place to get back to base, if you’re talking about going hours over you time and you get caught don’t be surprised if it costs you money.

tachograph:

commonrail:

You have more faith in the law and the people who uphold it than I do :wink:

I’ve never been one of the VOSA bashers but unless you’re involved in some traumatic event there’s only so much leeway you’re going to get, the regulations/law is quite on this, if you run out of time you can drive to the nearest safe parking place and that’s it.

OK if you’re talking about minutes because of an unforeseen hold-up I would hope and expect that you’re probably going to get away with it even if you did go past a parking place to get back to base, if you’re talking about going hours over you time and you get caught don’t be surprised if it costs you money.

He quoted earlier he’d go over 2 hours to get back :open_mouth:
Good luck :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Too right i would.

commonrail:
Too right i would.

LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: