Unplanned night out

Euro:
I’m surprised by how unsympathetic some replies here have been.

Let’s be fair he’s on a run which could be a potential long day and add to that it was a Friday it would have been practical to put some night out gear in just in case the unfortunate was to happen, that’s why some folks are unsympathetic, as I said before I cab hop and I assess my run before going out and if there’s an element of doubt the night out kit comes with me which all fits nicely into a black bin liner so it’s easy to carry.

If a company used a campervan then it could be used to swap over and as long as the driver recorded the journey from the swap over point to the yard after taking the required rest then its legal

Of course in reality, unless an incident occurred, there is really nothing to stop the driver using the campervan or any other vehicle under 3.5 tonnes GVW from driving home and then making a manual entry claiming that journey was made after the required rest period … legally naughty though

In my 4 year driving career I’ve only had one night out after being sat on the A1 for 4 hours after a truck decided to have a lay down across all three lanes, luckily it was one of the very few occasions I did have some night out kit with me. Some are saying “how difficult is it go have a kit bag in the boot of your car?” Well yeah it’s not difficult but I cycle to work so it’s not an option, I do have a locker at work but it’s not really that big and it’s already full. But I really doubt I would bother anyway (I do have a winter kit bag, gas stove, sleeping bag, soup, water etc) but I simply feel that for a single night out there’s not much you actually need, as already said just roll up something to make a pillow and you’re sorted, I usually have extra water and I don’t think anyone has ever starved to death in a day.

Why is it the drivers fault for not taking night out gear if he’s a day driver it’s the companies fault for sending him, are you all saying every day driver should all carry gear to be away maybe days.

Being stuck on the a1 for 4 hours is an unforseeable event.
Drive back to base and keep a record of why,when and where you where delayed.
Job done.

commonrail:
Job done.

Can only do that if base was the first safe reasonable place to start the rest period - if the hold up ended 3 hours from base then its not going to wash legally

bald bloke:

Euro:

Let’s be fair he’s on a run which could be a potential long day and add to that it was a Friday it would have been practical to put some night out gear in just in case the unfortunate was to happen, that’s why some folks are unsympathetic, as I said before I cab hop and I assess my run before going out and if there’s an element of doubt the night out kit comes with me which all fits nicely into a black bin liner so it’s easy to carry.

That’s fair enough but if you have spent the last year on doable runs to say Brum/Coventry for example and you go in in the morning and the spotty faced clerk says we’ve changed your run you are going to Romford today (and this has happened to me,) where are you going to suddenly get a night out kit? that is the point that the paperwork gets handed/thrown back over the counter and you saying I’m not doing that for all of the reasons already stated

mac12:
Why is it the drivers fault for not taking night out gear if he’s a day driver it’s the companies fault for sending him, are you all saying every day driver should all carry gear to be away maybe days.

Because he should have realised it was potentially a night out especially as it’s a Friday and add the M25 into the equation, it wasn’t the company’s fault he hit bad traffic was it, add he had the sense to put his gear in he might have tolerated his unplanned night out better.

Martin:

Conor:

Martin:
If your base is Warrington and the run takes you as far South as the M25 then a night out should be expected and you should have had overnight kit with you.

Are you new to the job? Its 175-200 miles and all motorway so easily feasible in 10hrs which is what our Runcorn drivers do it in every day.

10 hours every day? :open_mouth:

Yes, every day. Start of shift duties, 7-8hrs driving, 45 minute break, trailer swap and check and end of shift duties. 10hr duty.

Big Roy:

bald bloke:

Euro:

That’s fair enough but if you have spent the last year on doable runs to say Brum/Coventry for example and you go in in the morning and the spotty faced clerk says we’ve changed your run you are going to Romford today (and this has happened to me,) where are you going to suddenly get a night out kit? that is the point that the paperwork gets handed/thrown back over the counter and you saying I’m not doing that for all of the reasons already stated

That’s transport for you, I’m not a firm’s man but I do like to be prepared for the unexpected.

bald bloke:

Big Roy:

bald bloke:

Euro:

That’s transport for you, I’m not a firm’s man but I do like to be prepared for the unexpected.

Yes but let’s face it planners and clerks do like to “try it on” so there comes a point where you have to stand up for yourself and say no I’m not doing that, it’s always worked for me

commonrail:
Job done.

That’s what Russ and Peter said, maybe you spent too much time there :grimacing:

instantKarma:

Dipper_Dave:

instantKarma:

Dipper_Dave:
chances of getting a decent tug in without any interuptions?

What’s a decent tug in? :confused:

Its an ancient chinese type of self release aka… Nip One Off. :slight_smile:

get one of these [Link Removed] :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley:
Its now on my crimbo list, going to make a great stocking filler…

ROG:

commonrail:
Job done.

Can only do that if base was the first safe reasonable place to start the rest period - if the hold up ended 3 hours from base then its not going to wash legally

You’re talking about driving time…i’m talking about spreadover.

Darb:

commonrail:
Job done.

That’s what Russ and Peter said, maybe you spent too much time there :grimacing:

In those days i would have just pressed the blue button :wink:

Coffeeholic:

scanny77:
Personally I would probably do the same thing. There is nothing stopping you from getting back to base providing it is not in a company vehicle and you are not being paid.

Not correct. Doesn’t matter on the mode of travel, or whether you are paid or not, if you go from where you left the vehicle back to base it counts as working time for the regulations and if you’ve reached your maximum it will put you over.

I’m setting myself up for the ‘that is what the CPC is for’ / ‘how long have you been driving’/ ‘you should know this’ /etc etc comments from a certain one on here, :unamused: but is that correct? or are you on a wind up looking for a mug (me :smiley: ) to bite.
I assumed (and still do really) when your time was up it was YOUR time to do what the hell you wanted as long as it did not involve a company vehicle, if what you say is true(still not convinced) the job is worse than I thought, it means you have no choices and you are basically a prisoner in your cab :open_mouth:

the maoster:
The op stopped at a motorway services, they all have hotels on them, if the boss will not pay for it then YOU pay for it! I’d rather take the financial hit myself and sleep in clean fresh sheets with a shower in my room than spend 8 hours sulking in an emprty truck!

If your finances won’t stretch to self funding a hotel room I respectfully suggest that your 50 inch plasma screen with full Sky package were a bit of an uneccessary purchase. It’s all about priorities.

+1
In the event as described by the OP, stopping at Watford Gap would have provided a nice bed for the evening and a good rest so a full days pay wasn’t lost the next day. Perhaps even a longer rest or an earlier start and theres also the slim chance the OP may have found out the best way to Warrington from the M25 is not via Nottingham, thus saving the company even more money in fuel.

I can understand the OP being annoyed if the compnay was planning to collect them, but the cost involved would be better spent on getting the driver to a Hotel / Motel and in a nice comfy bed for the night. He could even buy a toothbrush from the services if things where that desperate.

Some times unforseen events occur and when employed in a profession that is subject to many unforseen events its surely a drivers duty to be prepared for these unforseen events. We may be entering into the realms of common sense here but the OP has not said he was in a day cab and could easily rough it for one night and the whole unforseen event would have turned into a non event and just one of those occasions that may lead us to consider an additional item to our kit bag for any unforseen events.

I too have learnt from unforseen events and now carry a lot of wetwipes in case of any spectacular unforseen events. [reckon thats my yearly limit on the phrase unforseen event].

bald bloke:

mac12:

Because he should have realised it was potentially a night out especially as it’s a Friday and add the M25 into the equation, it wasn’t the company’s fault he hit bad traffic was it, add he had the sense to put his gear in he might have tolerated his unplanned night out better.

It may not have been the companies fault he hit bad traffic but they should have known about it just the same has he should after all they planned the run for a Friday.

Should day drivers for Tesco and Sainsburys who have a sleeper cab carry night out gear.

Never during any of my time spent as an agency driver working for supermarket type firms have i ever seen anyone loading night out gear into a cab.
If you go over your time due to an unforseeable event…you will not get done by vosa…provided you have records to show why.

Big Roy:

bald bloke:

Euro:

You’ve got a mouth, tell the spotty little runt you’re a day driver and don’t do nights out so you suggest he finds you something else to do while you go and get a brew and read the paper.