Unplanned night out

You work in and industry where the amount you can actually drive is highly regulated, at the same time there are a huge amount of variables you cant control that may impact on your working time. yes maybe carrying a sleeping bag to your truck is a pain , but as you have found out not having one is a fair greater issue. A drivers job has so many things out of his control that can lead him to run out of time then not planning for the worst possible scenario is foolhardy at best.

Sorry the person at fault here is you for not planning for the worst. Its part of the job.

What do day cab drivers do in this same event? If it’s illegal to exceed driving time and its illegal for the driver to be recovered for the reasons given earlier in this thread, and the company refuse to provide a motel or such like, where does that leave the driver? Is it even legal to have a daily rest period in a truck with no bed or does the law make no mention of such things?
I’ve always had jobs where I had my own truck on tramping work so this type of thing has never been an issue but I also don’t think its right to just abandon a driver down the road with no facilities either and while it is possible to prepare for such eventualities if you do have a sleeper cab, I imagine the same must happen an awful lot on rigids etc when they head back for base with 2 or 3 hours left for example on what should be an hours drive when out of nowhere there’s an accident and the road is closed long enough to see him run out of time. What happens in reality in those situations? Surely with the traffic in the UK and the incredibly restrictive drivers hours legislation, this type of scenario must happen on a fairly regular basis?

How is it impractical to keep a holdall in your car? That’s all you need to do and if you get a long run you just grab the holdall. If you dont need it then no big deal but if things go wrong then you are prepared. At this time of year any run over 3.5 hours each way can be a risk. Too many idiots out there who don’t know how to drive in adverse weather conditions. A skid pan course is worth the investment

The op stopped at a motorway services, they all have hotels on them, if the boss will not pay for it then YOU pay for it! I’d rather take the financial hit myself and sleep in clean fresh sheets with a shower in my room than spend 8 hours sulking in an emprty truck!

If your finances won’t stretch to self funding a hotel room I respectfully suggest that your 50 inch plasma screen with full Sky package were a bit of an uneccessary purchase. It’s all about priorities.

Big Roy:
When you’re on day work and driving different units each day it’s not practical to take night out gear to work with you every day. I’ve been driving for 9 years and never done a night out yet and only come close to it on 2 occasions.
I have to agree with others that Warrington to the M25 area and back is pushing it a tad, personally if I had been given that run to do I would be telling them to shove it on the grounds that if there were to be a slight hold up I would not make it back.
If I did get caught out like you did I would be booking into a hotel for the night at the company’s expense, I’m [zb] ed if I’d be spending the night in a truck with no facilities

unfortunately you can’t do that at STOBRATs :unamused: as its refusing a REASONABLE request :open_mouth: " you know as a DAY man! " :grimacing:

robinhood_1984:
What do day cab drivers do in this same event? If it’s illegal to exceed driving time and its illegal for the driver to be recovered for the reasons given earlier in this thread, and the company refuse to provide a motel or such like, where does that leave the driver? Is it even legal to have a daily rest period in a truck with no bed or does the law make no mention of such things?
I’ve always had jobs where I had my own truck on tramping work so this type of thing has never been an issue but I also don’t think its right to just abandon a driver down the road with no facilities either and while it is possible to prepare for such eventualities if you do have a sleeper cab, I imagine the same must happen an awful lot on rigids etc when they head back for base with 2 or 3 hours left for example on what should be an hours drive when out of nowhere there’s an accident and the road is closed long enough to see him run out of time. What happens in reality in those situations? Surely with the traffic in the UK and the incredibly restrictive drivers hours legislation, this type of scenario must happen on a fairly regular basis?

A mate of mine did find himself in this situation. His answer was jump on a train, give the keys in and told them where the truck was parked then went home and got banned from working there :laughing:

Personally I would probably do the same thing. There is nothing stopping you from getting back to base providing it is not in a company vehicle and you are not being paid. The law made a total arse of this since there is no difference between a taxi or company owned passenger seat. Even better if you can reclaim the cost of a taxi which I once did with tesco

Martin:
If your base is Warrington and the run takes you as far South as the M25 then a night out should be expected and you should have had overnight kit with you.

Are you new to the job? Its 175-200 miles and all motorway so easily feasible in 10hrs which is what our Runcorn drivers do it in every day.

7415963:
hi ,
i’d like to throw in a question regarding an unplanned night out.

i currently drive an artic with a day cab and have come close to needing a night out. where do i stand with being collected or put up in a hotel as the vehicle has no bunk to take a rest break on and if i end up in a layby in the middle of nowhere after some event like this latest m25 incident, can i legally take a daily rest in a day cabbed vehicle.

matthew

Good question - back in the day I have slept in a day cabbed vehicle on a regular basis, but that was when I was a real man.
Although I presume the breach in regs for sleeping in a day cabbed vehicle would be less severe that breaching drivers hous regs, if this was a possibility then I would know about it early on (not the minute my hours ran out) and plan round it, perhaps find somewhere with a motel or truckstop to kip for the night. Driving is all about giving yourself options if ■■■■■ go ■■■■■■ tips skyward.

Easier said than done but if it helps I normally have 3 night out options in my head and choose one of them based on my driving working time / time of day/ next days delivery time / chances of getting a decent tug in without any interuptions. Doesn’t always work but like I said its all about ‘options’ in this job.

The OP by not having any night out gear (or a map by the look of it) has sacrificied his options due to naivety, some light trolling or more likely not being able to empty water from a wellington boot if the instructions where written on the bottom. He will learn though and perhaps a little trip to ‘go camping’ (other camping stores are available) would do well to purchase a sleeping bag, those rolled up ones don’t take up much room. As for a ‘pee bottle’ well he could just use a loo or the bushes / wheels of someone elses truck like the rest of us.

Sleeping bag, holdall, wash kit, pee bottle etc … aren’t really necessary just for 1 unexpected night out, doesnt anyone rough it any more?? pull the curtains, fire up the night heater, roll up your coat (clean side out) and use it as a pillow, Im sure the OP could manage without a shower for 1 night, as for taking a pee in the night, just pull your coat on and walk to the toilets in the services if your require a dump, or climb over the seat, open the door & stand on the step and pee. Just make sure which direction the wind is blowing and adjust the trajectory accordingly.

yorkshire terrier:
To be honest if I were heading to Warrington from the m25 I’d be going up the m6 and no where near trowell

Good point. Even going up the M1 to miss Brum he’s passed the A50,
Which route would you use to Warrington?

scanny77:
Personally I would probably do the same thing. There is nothing stopping you from getting back to base providing it is not in a company vehicle and you are not being paid.

Not correct. Doesn’t matter on the mode of travel, or whether you are paid or not, if you go from where you left the vehicle back to base it counts as working time for the regulations and if you’ve reached your maximum it will put you over.

Dipper_Dave:
chances of getting a decent tug in without any interuptions?

What’s a decent tug in? :confused:

peirre:
open the door & stand on the step and pee.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

If the OP was in a day cab then he could have stopped at LFE or Markfield and booked into a Motel with the company footing the bill

instantKarma:

Dipper_Dave:

Its an ancient chinese type of self release aka… Nip One Off. :slight_smile:

peirre:
Sleeping bag, holdall, wash kit, pee bottle etc … aren’t really necessary just for 1 unexpected night out, doesnt anyone rough it any more?? pull the curtains, fire up the night heater, roll up your coat (clean side out) and use it as a pillow, Im sure the OP could manage without a shower for 1 night, as for taking a pee in the night, just pull your coat on and walk to the toilets in the services if your require a dump, or climb over the seat, open the door & stand on the step and pee. Just make sure which direction the wind is blowing and adjust the trajectory accordingly.

i had to rough it one night back in the '80s,in the lake district when my SedAtki 400 broke down.no night out gear,no jumper, coat, or anything,just had to sleep with the remains of an old donkey jacket as a pillow.night heater…in a day cabbed 400? :laughing: you just got on with it in those days.mind you…i was just a young lad then

Dipper_Dave:

instantKarma:

Dipper_Dave:

Its an ancient chinese type of self release aka… Nip One Off. :slight_smile:

get one of these [Link Removed]

sorry to hear that you had a miserable situation.
I’m surprised by how unsympathetic some replies here have been.
If you are an agency driver, jumping from cab to cab, it is impractical to carry survival equipment for every eventuality
In your situation, I too would have been disenchanted by your employer who could at least have offered to pay for a hotel for the night
Regarding he company-van lift home, driven by a company employee, and you, presumably being paid at your standard rate, would be judged to be “working” thus contravening drivers regs.
I hope you conveyed your lack of amusement to your planner.

Conor:

Martin:
If your base is Warrington and the run takes you as far South as the M25 then a night out should be expected and you should have had overnight kit with you.

Are you new to the job? Its 175-200 miles and all motorway so easily feasible in 10hrs which is what our Runcorn drivers do it in every day.

10 hours every day? :open_mouth:

No not new, retired! A few years ago I reached 10 hours driving time and never actually left the M25, hit the 15 hours and was parked up by the police on the hard shoulder. (They did bring tea and biscuits to all the drivers!)
It really depends where on the M25 and the traffic conditions at the time, on a good day getting from Sevenoaks to Warrington and back (468 miles) will be just about ok but any delays and your on a night out, and delays do happen on the M25!

Tachograph pointed out the regulations.

shall not be counted as a rest or
break unless the driver is on a ferry or train and has access to a
bunk or couchette.

Why can’t a company utilise a camper van. It serves the same purpose. All modes of transport are moving. And the regulation only stated to have access to.

Motorway work staff now have a welfare van to allow them to have access to food and somewhere to rest.

I understand his situation and ten years ago on my first week I had the same predicament .

I chose to go home