Unplanned night out

commonrail:
Too right i would.

Hotel would be significantly cheaper than the potential fine. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

The whole point of the travelling back regs etc is to stop transport companies making drivers swap with another driver to keep the Lorry moving. People would be doing a 15 then driving back to base and starting again

Coffeeholic:

commonrail:
Too right i would.

Hotel would be significantly cheaper than the potential fine. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

all the hotels will be full of shift driversā€¦and the lorry parks will be full of retail based trucks whose drivers are in said hotel. :bulb:
Iā€™ll bet south mimms was chocka with supermarket trucksā€¦all on daily rest,when that truck went through the central resā€¦the other day :smiley:

Furthest dodgy I ever did was frankly services to Cwmbran started to wonder if it was a good idea when still on the M5ā€¦ :frowning:

Contraflow:

yorkshire terrier:
To be honest if I were heading to Warrington from the m25 Iā€™d be going up the m6 and no where near trowell

Good point.

Indeedy, even if he was thinking A50 he shouldnā€™t have been north of Nottingham! Come on o/p, what was your intended route?

Iā€™ve had a few unplanned nights out, really messy ones.
All were caused by my mates calling at my house mob handed and kidnapping me and force feeding me beerā€¦ So unfair :wink:

jjmorris1960:
Hi all,
At 0400 this morning because of the problems on the M25 i reached my 15 hour limit so had to park up on Trowell services for 9 hours, even though two hours previous i was told that i would be picked up in the van but later the office sead they could not as i was out of driving time, At this I contemplated running back reguardless of the law of the land, but sorry to say I chickened out, and paid the Ā£21 parking charge. However i did get a full breckey out of it and about a half hours sleep, so I have lost todays pay because i am to tired to work.
Now the point in all this woffel to all the driving taco experts on here is that I think i am far more dangerous on the road after spending 9 sleepless hours in a cab although legal, than i would driving 2 and half hours above the 15 hour limit, and i would like to know if i could of got away with driving back to warrington due to lack of facilities. i.e. no pillow, bedding,and pee vessal.Also do the company for which i work not have a duty of care to there staff reguarding making sure that drivers are picked up and returned to base.
Thanks for any forthcomming advice and comments.

if it was the last shift I would be coming home whatever

Kaistar:
All were caused by my mates calling at my house mob handed and kidnapping me and force feeding me beerā€¦ So unfair :wink:

Yes but theyā€™re the unplanned night outs we like just make sure sheā€™s fast asleep when you get home, although saying that theyā€™re pretty good at sleeping with one ear open !!

bald bloke:

Kaistar:

Yes but theyā€™re the unplanned night outs we like just make sure sheā€™s fast asleep when you get home, although saying that theyā€™re pretty good at sleeping with one ear open !!

they soon wake up when they realise your ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  in there wardrobe :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: ,and zb me you never hear the end of it ,and then when she realises the dry washing in the wash basket is wet and stinks of ā– ā– ā– ā–  :blush: :blush: ,you often find then when you go out on the ā– ā– ā– ā–  the back doors locked when you get home :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

To be fair on this lad, who never had his night out gear.

If you work for a company and never done a night out and cab hopped everyday. Why would you have night out gear with you.

Its ok for guys that expect a night out every now and then.
Use the same cab everyday so your night out gears all ready there.

Think the problems is he should av told the office to stick the run up there arse.

Themoocher:

If you work for a company and never done a night out and cab hopped everyday. Why would you have night out gear with you.

Think the problems is he should av told the office to stick the run up there arse.

For all of my driving career an ex army kitbag with everything in came with me regardless. It may not get opened some weeks (rare occurrence ) but it was always with me. And I bet lots of older drivers are the same and have a similar bagā€¦Especially in winter . Itā€™s a sense of security and comfort, and a plug in kettle and bickies along with a 24 hr ration pack for those days stuck in the snow that I remember well.
Itā€™s part of being a professional driver not a bloody amateur.

Themoocher:

why tell the office to stick it up their arse?

itā€™s really simple! anyone doing decent distance day runs, need to accept that itā€™s going to go wrong every now and then.

everyoneā€™s different, but youā€™ll know what you need with you to make a night out bearable, so take it. if you like all your creature comforts, but canā€™t be arsed to lug it in and out of a truck all the time for the 1% you might need it, then thatā€™s the choice you make. but donā€™t whinge about it afterwards!

but does a cheap compressed sleeping bag, wash bag with wet wipes, socks, duds and a T shirt really take up that much space?

sleeping bag change of clothes baby wipes and drivers tenner in your pocket the office donā€™t care if your down the road get your self prepared :question:

At Arla (all shift work), drivers on the tanker trunks were expected to be prepared for the occasional unexpected night out, but some took that to ridiculous lengths. To see a (agency )driver lug a bag with spare clothing, a sleeping bag or duvet, cooker, food and a frigging cookbook to his or her cab EVERY shift, was hilarious.

And they didnā€™t look like they would starve if not fed one night either.
Thereā€™s nothing more pathic than the soft whining of a driver complaining about a possible, night outā€¦

Grow a pair

3 wheeler:

Themoocher:

For all of my driving career an ex army kitbag with everything in came with me regardless. It may not get opened some weeks (rare occurrence ) but it was always with me. And I bet lots of older drivers are the same and have a similar bagā€¦Especially in winter . Itā€™s a sense of security and comfort, and a plug in kettle and bickies along with a 24 hr ration pack for those days stuck in the snow that I remember well.

Iā€™m the same mate.
I wonā€™t leave the yard without my gear.
But if your not use to that type work and nights out then itā€™s a different situation.

stevieboy308:

Themoocher:

why tell the office to stick it up their arse?

itā€™s really simple! anyone doing decent distance day runs, need to accept that itā€™s going to go wrong every now and then.

everyoneā€™s different, but youā€™ll know what you need with you to make a night out bearable, so take it. if you like all your creature comforts, but canā€™t be arsed to lug it in and out of a truck all the time for the 1% you might need it, then thatā€™s the choice you make. but donā€™t whinge about it afterwards!

but does a cheap compressed sleeping bag, wash bag with wet wipes, socks, duds and a T shirt really take up that much space?

I tramp and out 5 or 6 nights a week so Iv always got my gear no matter what.
But if I was in a job 9 till 5 with no nights out As part of the job Description I wouldnā€™t carry night out gear everyday cab hopping.

If I went in on an morning and knew I wouldnā€™t make the run.
I would have pair baws and tell the office it ainā€™t happening.

cliffystephens:
Furthest dodgy I ever did was frankly services to Cwmbran started to wonder if it was a good idea when still on the M5ā€¦ :frowning:

started in algeciras stopped at Hull only stopping to get on the ferry + my 45ā€™s :wink: :laughing: many years ago

3 wheeler:

Themoocher:

same as, people still laugh at me when they see the food in my truck always have water, i have the lot, 99% of the time im home everyday, but you just never know whats going to happen

Contraflow:

yorkshire terrier:
To be honest if I were heading to Warrington from the m25 Iā€™d be going up the m6 and no where near trowell

Good point.

Matrix sign on m1 sead m6 shut at j12 to 13 so i was originally heading for the A50 before realising i was so far into my 15 hours.

I made the mistake of not having any night out kit once. Now I always carry my sleeping bag with me regardless of day or not work. If the wagon has a sleeper then my sleeping bag is coming too. May not need it but its always best to have something and not need it then want something and not have it. If its a day cap though then iā€™ll stay in a hotel and bill the company.

Sleeping in a tin can with no heater at what felt like -20ā€™C was not a happy experience.