Two truck crash M6

All lanes are now open on the M6 after a crash involving two heavy goods vehicles.

National Highways confirmed this afternoon that all lanes are now open after the HGVs crashed on the M6 northbound between J35 Carnforth Interchange (Carnforth, Morecambe A601(M), (A6)) and J36 Crooklands Interchange (South Lakes, Kendal, Barrow A590 (A591), Kirkby Lonsdale, Skipton A65).

The collision, which occurred at around 6am, resulted in one of the HGVs shedding its load, the spillage of diesel and oil and ‘significant damage’ to the central reservation barrier and road surface.

Two lanes (of three) were also closed southbound past the scene due to a spillage of vehicle liquids from one of the vehicles and also significant damage to the central reservation barrier, said Highways.

And Lancashire Police reported that a man was taken to hospital with ‘suspected serious leg injuries’ following the collision.

Westmorland Gazette
@gazettenewsdesk

A couple…

Of teeny tiny flimsy straps would have stopped that lot from coming out.

Must’ve lost his bottle.

Seeing it from a different angle it looks like the driver in the water bottle wagon had a very lucky escape.

truckcrash4_rs.jpeg

Resized the photos - Colingl

Bloody hell , took the last picture to work out how the cab had ended up like it was , 1 of your nine lives gone there , hopefully he’s ok

Do you reckon those pallets were strapped up?
Can’t see any internals anging down on side where curtain is still closed.
If not why tf would he not?.. :unamused:
Other than being in too much of a ■■■■ hurry to spend 10 to 15 minutes doing so.

robroy:

You can see…

All the straps stuffed into the headboard in the first pic, so no they weren’t strapped.

Only way to stop that lot coming out IMO would be solid walls.

Positive fit , no need to strap .

Internals aren’t gonna do anything for that load anyway.
Very lucky driver if he walked away from that one

drover:
Very lucky driver if he walked away from that one

He didn’t walk away but he was lucky.

Bottom of first post -
And Lancashire Police reported that a man was taken to hospital with ‘suspected serious leg injuries’ following the collision.

A tipper driver (truck) involved in a crash - no way, I don’t believe my eyes!

That DAF doesn’t look good, I hope the driver is ok.

If I am to die on the road one day (or rather night) I know it’s going to be a tipper/bulker that’s going to take me out in a head-on collision on one of the A-roads I frequent

drover:

That’s arguable, they could/would have suppressed movement to some degree, and if the curtains were of particular good quality and/or load bearing type, it may have been enough.

ETS:
That DAF doesn’t look good, I hope the driver is ok.

Bottom of first post -

One quite lucky driver to be honest given the state of the truck. Sad he’s got serious leg injuries. But on the positive side he’s escaped with his life so I guess you’d have to be thankful for that at least.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

No Hazard Warning signs either :stuck_out_tongue:

robroy:
Other than being in too much of a [zb] hurry to spend 10 to 15 minutes doing so.

Why need strap load if trailer have standart XL.And strap not so much help with load of still mineral water.This load very soft.

Andrejs:

robroy:
Other than being in too much of a [zb] hurry to spend 10 to 15 minutes doing so.

Why need strap load if trailer have standart XL.And strap not so much help with load of still mineral water.This load very soft.

There’s no such thing as XL curtains. It’s a system where all parts must be used to achieve the XL standard. That includes fitted internals, making sure the load is a positive fit etc etc. All those boxes must be ticked to achieve XL rating.

You know what?..I neither know nor care what ‘‘XL rating’’ is, :unamused:
I’m assuming it’s just more sound bite jargon ■■■■■■■■ no doubt.
I just make a decision about each individual load and what it needs, and consciously don’t drive like a ■■■■. …
Christ, I even strap up cardboard nowadays ffs, (but only to ‘‘please’’ those that know ■■■■ all about the job, but who make the rules, and just to stop getting robbed by fine.

robroy:
I just make a decision about each individual load and what it needs, and consciously don’t drive like a ■■■■. …
Christ, I even strap up cardboard nowadays ffs, (but only to ‘‘please’’ those that know [zb] all about the job, but who make the rules, and just to stop getting robbed by fine.

XL rating is what you see plastered on curtains usually in yellow boxes. It’s a load rating system which when used and certain criteria are met then it should prevent forwards, backwards and sideways movement of a load.

It’s often referred to as XL curtains and some seem to think that just having a sticker on them suddenly turns a curtain from a flexible curtain into an impenetrable fence of steel that no load can rip through :unamused:

The premise is that the curtain are reinforced normally with webbing built into them so that should hold some load, and the internals themselves (which would have strengthened roof support) would also do their bit plus with the load being a ‘positive fit’ (ie, no space between load curtain - this load of water would have been a positive fit) it would all combine to stop the load moving.

So basically, a TRAILER only becomes XL rated when it carries the XL number/label, internals are used, and the load is a positive fit. Miss one of them and its just a bog standard trailer.

robroy:
Christ, I even strap up cardboard nowadays ffs, (but only to ‘‘please’’ those that know [zb] all about the job, but who make the rules, and just to stop getting robbed by fine.

“Strap it like you’re going to race it and drive it like it isn’t strapped” [emoji106]

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk