Trucks or Lorries

I stole this whole quote from elsewhere, to start a new thread which has been covered before. Are they trucks? motors? lorries? wagons?

So after a pleasant bank holiday trip to Crich. I can try to pass on the lessons I learned.

harry_gill:
hiya,
i write as i feel fits the occasion without apologies to anyone though i do my damndest to offend no’one, and believe me no’one can upset me, as an old dude or whatever and lifetime wagon driver, yes wagon or lorry never truck they’re what you push parcels around on, i feel there’s not much i need to learn from the young uns of the present day most likely i’ve done more miles in reverse than the’ve managed forwards and if they plod on until retirement age they won’t cover the mileage i’ve achieved present day speed limits and the spy in the cab will make sure you can’t do it, PS all accident free,
thanks harry long retired.

So the photo above is at the Dundee workshops during an earlier time in history, the crane is needed to lift the home built tram body.

In the photo below, we can see the bit that is left behind with the wheels and electric motors.

That bit was called the TRUCK :laughing:

Tram drivers used to argue about the “truck” maker.

Not Volvo or Scania, but Brill or Brush :laughing:

I used to be reprimanded several times when I started work because I called things by the wrong name, boat or ship, yacht or dinghy,

I normally called the vehicles in my dad’s pub carpark a “lorry” because “wagons” were them things that the goodies had in Westerns :stuck_out_tongue:

I think, calling them “Trucks” came about after Convoy or maybe even DUEL.

Anorak mode off. Did I mention I had been to Crich Tramway Museum? :laughing:

HGV’s?

scottishcruiser:
HGV’s?

LGV’s :question: :question:

I drive a lorry, just like my Dad used to. Before that they had wagons - as drawn by horses!

The term ‘truck’ refers to an American pick-up such as a Nissan Navvarra or Dodge Ram! Also known as a ‘Ute’ in Oz!

Cruise Control:

scottishcruiser:
HGV’s?

LGV’s :question: :question:

Heavy Goods Vehicle
Large Goods Vehicle
Light Goods Vehicle
Private Light Goods
Heavy Locomotive
Special Types
Island Use
Disabled
Tricycle
Motorised Bicycle

They all belong in the tax disc section :laughing:

Jeremy Clarkson called us ‘LORRYISTS’ (amongst other things :laughing: ) so we must drive LORRIES - there, that was easily sorted :wink:

Then why do we have TRUCKSTOPS and not LORRYSTOPS :question: :question: :question: doesnt quite roll of the tounge… :confused: :confused: :laughing: :laughing:

my vote (for what it’s worth) is

LORRY :smiley: :smiley:
truck in english is slang for lorry,a truck is the wheels and chassis bit the lorry is cab and body bit :wink:

Goods conveyance facilitator. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

i either say, i drive a wagon or an artic

Cruise Control:
Then why do we have TRUCKSTOPS and not LORRYSTOPS :question: :question: :question: doesnt quite roll of the tounge… :confused: :confused: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe but “Hairy-arsed lorry driver” does doesn1t it :laughing: :laughing:

I prefer truck-driver but hate the Ozzie term “Trucky” :laughing: :laughing:

Cruise Control:

cos truckstop sounds better than lorrystop :unamused: at least in joe publics eyes, really it should be called “driver stop” but thats not right either
how about a joe public poll which would prob turn up as "scum of the earth place to live and eat but nimby " :laughing: :laughing:

Lorries

Truck is a modern term in this country,as one of thhe previous members said truck is an American word. As for Truckstops,thats a fairly modern thing also. Transport Cafe’s are what the lorry driver use. Everyone knows what a lorry is,as for truck it could be a fork lift,or a pick up.
Cheers Dave.

A bottle of wine, a program on the wireless or is it radio? :laughing: anyway, I went agoogling.

petergould.co.uk/local_trans … hdale1.htm
check out the 3rd column.

Hansard 1803 mentions the Truck Act after Richard Trevithick invented a steam carriage

It is interesting to see old photographs of the Associated Equipment Company of Southall, oh, was that AEC Buses and Trucks signwritten on the buildings?

Foden Trucks’ origins date back to 1856 when Edwin Foden began his career with a small engineering company near Sandbach in Cheshire that would become Foden Trucks,

How about Tilling Stevens buying Vulcan Trucks in 1937

truckle = A small wheel or roller; a caster.

truckle - a low bed to be slid under a higher bed

Even a truckle of cheese looks like a wagon, sorry truck wheel.

waggon - any of various kinds of wheeled vehicles drawn by an animal or a tractor

A wagon could be pulled by one animal or by several, often in pairs.

wagon is also used for railroad cars (non driven axles, on goods or passenger vehicles)

wagon is a colloquial term in the British army for any vehicle.

This wagonette was a favourite vehicle for an outing.

How about the TGWU. I don’t believe they would let a typo like that through even in the days of the telegraph and Morse code, so the original word was Lurry, used by a lot of people in the day until they merged fully in 1968

The Amalgamated Carters, Lurrymen and Motormen’s Union was a trade union in the United Kingdom. It merged with the Transport and General Workers’ Union in 1922.

Google is your friend

I call them all those names anyway :laughing:

It’s like eskimos having loads of words for Snow (although I believe the story is slightly hypocryful :smiley: and I can’t spell :laughing: )
We have loads of words for the vehicle we drive and as the English langauge is a living language pulling in new words and new uses for words all the time, all variations are justified. :smiley:

Truck for several reasons.

It ■■■■■■ off people who get all upset about Americanisms so it’s worth calling it truck for that reason alone. So truck it is, while watching them get all island monkey about it.

We don’t have publications called Lorry & Driver or Lorrying International, so truck it is.

Lorry sounds old fashioned and while it suits when referring to older/classic vehicles it doesn’t sit well with modern vehicles so truck it is.

London uses the term lorry for it’s various bans and restrictions and I am not going to side with London on anything, so truck it is.

more gobbledy ■■■■

Among horse-drawn vehicles, a lorry was a low-loading trolley. It was used mainly for the carriage of other vehicles, for example for delivery from the coachbuilders or returning there for repair.

Its very small wheels were mounted under the deck which had to be wider than the track of the vehicles to be carried. It had two ramps, stowed above the back axle and below the body. These were withdrawn from the lorry and one end of each attached to the back of the deck while the other ends rested on the ground. A winch, mounted on the headboard was then used to draw the load up the ramps and onto the deck. The winch cable, low fixed sideboards and a low hinged tailboard plus lashings retained it there.

The lorry was rather like a wooden version of the modern car-carrying trailer, intended for towing behind a car, except that the wheels were wooden, with iron tyres and were not close-coupled. The front ones were on a steering undercarriage. The driver’s seat was mounted on the top of the headboard.

Around 1900, the lorry developed a sturdier form for carrying the heavier motor cars. These motor car lorries were two-horse vehicles, partly because of the weight carried but also because the roll-resistance of the very small wheels had to be overcome. For the same reason, it was primarily an urban vehicle so that, on the paved roads, the small wheels were not an insurmountable handicap. In any case, the axles were sprung.

As in many fields, as time went by, people used the word perhaps without understanding its detailed meaning, so that it became applied less precisely and other configurations were given the name. By 1911, as the motor-propelled lorry (a kind of truck) developed, a pedant would have regarded it as being more the heir of the heavy trolley than of the horse-drawn lorry. However, the railway vehicles, first noted by the Oxford English Dictionary from 1838, were more like the horse-drawn road lorry. In these earlier years, it was also called a lurry. In Britain, “lorry” nowadays means any large powered truck.

hiya,
i’m English don’t have a ten gallon hat so can’t drive a truck, but i do have a flat cap so can drive a lorry.
thanks harry long retired.

zebadee:
I drive a lorry, just like my Dad used to. Before that they had wagons - as drawn by horses!

The term ‘truck’ refers to an American pick-up such as a Nissan Navvarra or Dodge Ram! Also known as a ‘Ute’ in Oz!

Oh you mean a Bakkie in Southern Africa :smiley: , a pick up truck that the natives prefered to ride on rather than in the front. As in, get in the Bakkie Gunga Din.

LorryNet, WagonNet or is it WaggonNet, let’s stay with TruckNet :smiley: .