Trucks or Lorries

annitram:

Cruise Control:
Then why do we have TRUCKSTOPS and not LORRYSTOPS :question: :question: :question: doesnt quite roll of the tounge… :confused: :confused: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe but “Hairy-arsed lorry driver” does doesn1t it :laughing: :laughing:

I prefer truck-driver but hate the Ozzie term “Trucky” :laughing: :laughing:

I liked being called Forky, when I was a Trucky and I had to offload myself :slight_smile: .

I used to be a lorry driver but now i am a long haul trucker!

Sign on M way for Old tebay…

TRUCK STOP

bla bla

LORRIES ONLY :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
Truck for several reasons.

It ■■■■■■ off people who get all upset about Americanisms so it’s worth calling it truck for that reason alone. So truck it is, while watching them get all island monkey about it.

We don’t have publications called Lorry & Driver or Lorrying International, so truck it is.

Lorry sounds old fashioned and while it suits when referring to older/classic vehicles it doesn’t sit well with modern vehicles so truck it is.

London uses the term lorry for it’s various bans and restrictions and I am not going to side with London on anything, so truck it is.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hiya,
if someone shouted to me “hey trucker” i would retort “truck off”
thanks harry long retired.

I think you’ll find that the word ‘Truck’ came in to use in this Country after Truck Magazine came out in 74 followed by Convoy in 76, later on in life I can remember the shop keeper saying to me, that I buy alot of lorry Mags,not the usual top shelf stuff, yes I said, I was HGV Positive!!!

Lorry

GN54CYO is a lorry when I drive it in the UK and a truck when I drive it on the continent.

I use the term wagon. I hate the word truck.

That is all.

the truck acts have been abolished
they allowed you to demand cash of the realm for payment for work done
as opposed to tokens which were redeeemed in the company store

this was done by the Labour party
they didnt replace the cash thing with a right to be paid weekly
hence many companies saving pennies by paying you monthly

i’m a lorry driver

mushroomman:
‘… Oh you mean a Bakkie in Southern Africa … a pick up truck that the natives prefered to ride on rather than in the front…’

Three months ago whilst in Cape Town on voluntary work I rode front & back in a ‘bucky’. So, I’ve just sniffed out Wikipedia to get informally clued-up:

‘…Bakkie … A vehicle like the Holden Ute … colloquially called a ute or utility (from “Coupe utility”), in Australia and New Zealand, is known in South Africa as a bakkie (pronounced “bucky”),in Romania as “slipper”, in Egypt as “half truck” … in Israel as a tender. Panel vans … in Australia during the 1970s … in Egypt as “box”…’ etc, etc.

Am now feeling smugly informed - but lorries are either lorries (me) or big vans (the bird).

Must be my age, I drive a “rulley”.

Les zizis des routiers sont sympas

I don’t like “lorry”. Looks like worry, sounds like sorry.

If anybody asks its usualy Lorry Driver sometimes Wagon Driver sometimes hairy arsed trucker, Getting confused now must be my age :confused: :confused: :confused:

Harry Monk:
‘…I don’t like “lorry”. Looks like worry, sounds like sorry…’

I like lorry because because knobbers worry about them when they’re sorry through their ignorance of not having a clue about what’s in the Highway Code.