Trucking....Do you love it?...or is it just a job?

robroy:

kcrussell25:
I only started driving in August and in my first couple of weeks on my own I got a couple of calls how am I getting on/when will I be there. After a couple of weeks when they can see I can get on without being checked on they leave me alone and only call if my collection changes.

Maybe your “reputation” makes them want to chase/check on you a bit more and if you gave it a little more time they would stop?

Yeh agreed, that’s the case always.
Any firm is going to check more on a new driver until they get used with him.
It’s what happens after the settling in period, and how you react and deal with it, that determines if you have either a reasonably easy work life or a stressed to hell one. :bulb:

I’ve gone through wagon companies faster than a dodgy curry mate, and trust me, it means [zb] all.

If like Beetlejuice and a couple of others on here, you are not willing to be treated like a slave, you WILL end up with a good number

It’s not a complicated formula. Simply decide what you want and what you do not. Don’t get frightened and lose your bottle, there will ALWAYS be a job for a CE driver, just keep ploughing through them until you get a good one.

You come into this world with [zb] all, and you sure as hell end up in the soil or the oven with [zb] all, it’s what you do inbetween what counts, so why put up with a crap job?

Double post :blush:

mrginge:
He might have made the fatal error of repeatedly applying for jobs at blue chip firms which are in fact all the same…

Not according to Roymondo.

Roymondo:
I’ve only ever (apart from a couple of weeks early on when I was on the Agency) driven for “Blue Chip Logistics” companies, … I’ve been doing it over 10 years now and simply don’t get any of it - I turn up in the morning, pick up notes and keys and simply go do the day’s run. No-one ever rings or hassles me unless there’s a very good reason. No-one tells me what route to take, …

Maybe the fact he or She has been doing the job for 10 years and we assume knows what he or she is doing, those in the office don’t feel the need to check on him or her, I’m sure they’ve got plenty of other drivers that need checking on.

My brief experience of working in a transport office, although it was a small company, it that you soon find out which drivers need checking on and which you can leave alone.

Plenty to do without constantly phoning a driver who you know will do the job or if they have a problem they can’t deal with, will call you, but it takes a while before you really know if a driver is going to be one type or the other, so a new driver will get more attention than somebody whose been there for years and can be relied upon.

Of course the other thing is not everbody fits into Blue Chip type operations and maybe for them it would be better to work for a smaller outfit where you talk direct to your boss, but then don’t expect the carefully worded management speak so it cannot offend, expect to be told straight. :wink:

kcrussell25:

robroy:

Beetlejuice:
I gave most of them more than an inch of rope .I don’t stay if I feel it’s a waste of my time,I give them three or four weeks, if it is obviously not my cuppa tea i move on .I just need the right firm ,And after 7 in the last 14 months it’s not looking like a career I’m staying in.

Bloody hell mate, and I thought I had no patience. :smiley:
That averages 1 job every 8 weeks, take off the weekends and that is 40 days or just over 5 weeks to make a name for yourself (in a good way)
I was made redundant from a job I loved,.I.then started a job I discovered that I hated in comparison, for a lot of reasons including some of the ones you pointed out.
I stuck at it, let them see I would not be treated like most of the others.
I tactfully and politely answered back, and set my own pace and parameters…I have now been there over 8 years, after sorting myself a nice little niche job within that firm,.and I’m fairly content with it now.

Not being funny mate, and not meaning any offence here, but if I had done it your way I would now be on my 48 th job by now. :smiley:
Just don’t let the bastds win or get to you, and stand your ground.

Have you considered how getting through that many jobs looks to a new employer? It doesn’t look like your the kind to stick around or maybe don’t for a reason?

I would never tell anyone to stay in a job they don’t want or like but I’m not sure your giving them a chance.

I can understand 1 or 2 dodgey jobs but 7 starts to sound like your the issue. That or your applying to the wrong places. I would suggest giving them a bit longer to settle down.

I only started driving in August and in my first couple of weeks on my own I got a couple of calls how am I getting on/when will I be there. After a couple of weeks when they can see I can get on without being checked on they leave me alone and only call if my collection changes.

Maybe your “reputation” makes them want to chase/check on you a bit more and if you gave it a little more time they would stop?

I have read many of your replies previously and notice you always pick the negatives out.,And you come across as if you are a right know all .Are you a TM or planner by any chance ?
You did not read where I have had many long term jobs before haulage, yet you picked out the bad stuff .Your rep on here is of a negative condescending bore .To me anyway .sorry .

eagerbeaver:

robroy:

kcrussell25:

Yeh agreed, that’s the case always.
Any firm is going to check more on a new driver until they get used with him.
It’s what happens after the settling in period, and how you react and deal with it, that determines if you have either a reasonably easy work life or a stressed to hell one. :bulb:

I’ve gone through wagon companies faster than a dodgy curry mate, and trust me, it means [zb] all.

If like Beetlejuice and a couple of others on here, you are not willing to be treated like a slave, you WILL end up with a good number

It’s not a complicated formula. Simply decide what you want and what you do not. Don’t get frightened and lose your bottle, there will ALWAYS be a job for a CE driver, just keep ploughing through them until you get a good one.

You come into this world with [zb] all, and you sure as hell end up in the soil or the oven with [zb] all, it’s what you do inbetween what counts, so why put up with a crap job?

There’s is hope for me then :wink:
I will keep trying ,In my opinion only,There are far more cruddy haulage firms than bad factories and it is a minefield to find a good solid firm .

Best way I can put it for me, I love driving (don’t care if its a new V8 Scania or a 15 year old fleet motor) I’m interested in what I carry and where its going to. I think I am very lucky finding a way of life that I have always enjoyed doing (and also a wife who don’t mine the unsocial hours that I work) And hope to carry on doing up to my retirement age.

Beetlejuice:

kcrussell25:

robroy:

Beetlejuice:
I gave most of them more than an inch of rope .I don’t stay if I feel it’s a waste of my time,I give them three or four weeks, if it is obviously not my cuppa tea i move on .I just need the right firm ,And after 7 in the last 14 months it’s not looking like a career I’m staying in.

Bloody hell mate, and I thought I had no patience. :smiley:
That averages 1 job every 8 weeks, take off the weekends and that is 40 days or just over 5 weeks to make a name for yourself (in a good way)
I was made redundant from a job I loved,.I.then started a job I discovered that I hated in comparison, for a lot of reasons including some of the ones you pointed out.
I stuck at it, let them see I would not be treated like most of the others.
I tactfully and politely answered back, and set my own pace and parameters…I have now been there over 8 years, after sorting myself a nice little niche job within that firm,.and I’m fairly content with it now.

Not being funny mate, and not meaning any offence here, but if I had done it your way I would now be on my 48 th job by now. :smiley:
Just don’t let the bastds win or get to you, and stand your ground.

Have you considered how getting through that many jobs looks to a new employer? It doesn’t look like your the kind to stick around or maybe don’t for a reason?

I would never tell anyone to stay in a job they don’t want or like but I’m not sure your giving them a chance.

I can understand 1 or 2 dodgey jobs but 7 starts to sound like your the issue. That or your applying to the wrong places. I would suggest giving them a bit longer to settle down.

I have read many of your replies previously and notice you always pick the negatives out.,And you come across as if you are a right know all .Are you a TM or planner by any chance ?
You did not read where I have had many long term jobs before haulage, yet you picked out the bad stuff .Your rep on here is of a negative condescending bore .To me anyway .sorry .

No I am a driver, new pass in May, started August once made redundant from retail where had only had 2 jobs in 20 years. Much like yourself prior to driving.

I didn’t mention your previous jobs as I didn’t see them as relevant, much like mine moving into driving is a new start and week from bottom up. Same as I did in retail. I don’t expect to walk into the best but this is certainly a decent start.

I am sorry I bore you, and anyone else if so. I am not a hugely experienced driver so use this more for information. However due to my previous job I do have quite a lot experience on recruitment, accident investigations and disciplinary matters so will comment on those if I think I can add to the debate.

Just a couple of recent comments as well, my ex partner was a claims manager for an insurance company so I have heard some of the things that used to happen when they tried to get out of paying and when members are advising others to deliberately omit details which would leave themselves uninsured I will pass a comment. If they listen its up to them. Given they are asking as they know no better ill throw it out there.

My current partner is a hr officer so again I have a good knowledge of those matters so again will pass comment if I think I can add something.

I have no intention of being a “know it all” and apologise if it appears so

P.s. did you used to have an account in the newbies forum albert or similar? He had a very similar style to yourself…

No I am a driver, new pass in May, started August once made redundant from retail where had only had 2 jobs in 20 years. Much like yourself prior to driving.

I didn’t mention your previous jobs as I didn’t see them as relevant, much like mine moving into driving is a new start and week from bottom up. Same as I did in retail. I don’t expect to walk into the best but this is certainly a decent start.

I am sorry I bore you, and anyone else if so. I am not a hugely experienced driver so use this more for information. However due to my previous job I do have quite a lot experience on recruitment, accident investigations and disciplinary matters so will comment on those if I think I can add to the debate.

Just a couple of recent comments as well, my ex partner was a claims manager for an insurance company so I have heard some of the things that used to happen when they tried to get out of paying and when members are advising others to deliberately omit details which would leave themselves uninsured I will pass a comment. If they listen its up to them. Given they are asking as they know no better ill throw it out there.

My current partner is a hr officer so again I have a good knowledge of those matters so again will pass comment if I think I can add something.

P.s. did you used to have an account in the newbies forum albert or similar? He had a very similar style to yourself…
[/quote]

[/quote]
Are you smoking drugs?

Beetlejuice:

[/quote]
Are you smoking drugs?
[/quote]
No don’t drink or smoke

Back to the O/P
I still love it after 25years, this has included a few years as TM driving a desk.
Most of my driving has been over the water but nowadays I’m on uk only and I get a nosebleed if I’m north of Brum. [emoji16]
I’m lucky my boss is sound and understands my personal circumstances so I get the best of both worlds tramping oct to april then day work and finish times around 4pm thru the summer.
I wouldn’t hesitate in walking if things went pear shaped, this has always been my attitude and I’ve not had many jobs over the years but as somebody else has said “if you’re not happy move on”
There is nothing worse than the archtipycal long term employee that will slag everybody and everything off and say he’ll be gone soon and is still doing the same thing at the same place many years later…
Yes driving has changed alot even in the shortish time I’ve been doing it but I still have that sense of achievement and pride in doing the job properly and hopefully I will til I start winding down towards retirement.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

kcrussell25:

Beetlejuice:

Are you smoking drugs?
[/quote]
No don’t drink or smoke
[/quote]
Maybe Try it then lol .Hey pal nowt personal .I hope you have a great new year .I hate making enemies I just tell it how it is ,Im exactly the same in real life .

#Onwards

It’s a way of life. I am constantly falling in and out of love with the transport industry and have done so since I was 21. I’ve done long-haul multi-nights-away for all that time so it has always been more than a job; it has been my life. Luckily, I have managed to fit in a lot of pleasurable experiences into the work and stay positive on most occasions. Now with less than a year before I retire; I am looking forward to the end of the road as a working-driver and excited by the prospect of touring the World in a motor-home. That might seem sad to some but I don’t think I could stay at home and do nothing for long.

As far as a job goes it’s the best I’ve had, and a lot of the time it doesn’t feel like work really. But no I don’t “love it” and if I was given the choice to have a day at home or go out trucking then as long as money didn’t come into it I’d always choose the time at home!

So yeah to me it’s just a job but the best job I’ve had and I’ll more than likely never do anything else other than a part time retirement job.

The test I apply when deciding whether I love doing something is to ask myself “Would I do it for nothing?” :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:
The test I apply when deciding whether I love doing something is to ask myself “Would I do it for nothing?” :stuck_out_tongue:

That certainly decides it then, I definitely DON’T love it. :laughing:

There was a time I loved it. When I started out driving a 7.5t for a right cowboy outfit, going over hours, no tacho disc, sleeping across the seats and doing basically what I wouldn’t even consider today.

Now we have vosa fines, parking fines, congestion, mobile phones, just in time deliveries, trackers, cameras and in the near future self driving trucks.

To me, now, it’s just a means to an end.

robroy:

Harry Monk:

If I won a sizeable amount on the lotto I’d buy my own truck, I’d probably do the odd traction job here and there for firms I’ve worked for over the years too.

Guess I still love it then :wink:

I loved the job for many years.AEC Mandator/Mercury,Guy Big J,etc with musclesteering,then hitting the jackpot with a Leyland mastiff and Volvo F86 with a heater!Looking for ward to travelling to places far and wide all over Europe and the middle east meeting numerous decent folk of all nationalities.The last few years up to 2014 became a chore for reasons mentioned by others above.Last shift was paid 8 hours for nothing because the company couldn’t decide whether DCPC date was the last date I could drive or the first date I couldn’t.Spend most of my time in Spain now enjoying the drive down on uncongested roads.

robroy:

Harry Monk:

I’ve asked myself would I totally give up trucking if I won the lottery so money no object? Think yes I would do a couple days a week, I lead a sad lonely life :cry:

Let me think now.
I win the Lotto.
Do I live the life of a ■■■■■■■, say six months in the Maldives, rest of the year posing about in my Aston Martin pretending I’m James Bond, and basically living the dream in every aspect of my life.

OR

Drive a bloody artic down the M6.
Hmmmmmmmmm!