Trailer lights!

Hi folks, I know most drivers do it but please check your trailer lights, Im not trying to be bossy or trying to teach you to ■■■■ eggs I am just looking out for my fellow colleagues, last night i was on my way up to the Birmingham pallet track hub via the M40 when I was over taken by an artic which had no trailerlights I flashed at him several times (with my head lights) :laughing: but to no avail, warickshire services was approaching I thought maybe? so I drove into the services and spotted him (lucky) I pulled up and notified him, he said he was unaware that tey were not working and was ever so greatful so please folks be careful :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: we dont want the government taking any more of our hard owned money.

Good advice, but I remember some years ago on the road south towards Dublin, I stopped at a transport café and spotted an artic driver on the park sorting out the wiring of his suzies because the trailer lights weren’t lit.

When I’d eaten he’d gone so off I went, only to almost run into this bloke trundling slowly along still blacked out, obviously haveing given up the unequal struggle to become an electrician :open_mouth:

It was a blessing in disguise really, because it alerted me to the farm tractor and trailer further on that was also, literally, moonlighting :unamused:

I do a light check every time I pick up/change trailer and if the weather is bad every time I stop.

Dobyman:
Hi folks, I know most drivers do it but please check your trailer lights

Blimey, you’re asking a lot with some of the users on here who get all irrate at the suggestion of walking around and checking their vehicle.

Roadhog:

Dobyman:
Hi folks, I know most drivers do it but please check your trailer lights

Blimey, you’re asking a lot with some of the users on here who get all irrate at the suggestion of walking around and checking their vehicle.

see ur back on your horse again road hog :unamused:

Good advice that Dobyman. :wink:

Don’t want to get drawn into any heated argument with anyone (no - I really don’t :sunglasses: ) but I always have a quick look around the motor when I get out of it for whatever reason.

It takes no time at all and I don’t see it as a chore - it’s just part of our job. It is what sets us apart from the other non-vocational licence holders on the road. :smiley:

Lights, wheels/tyres and dog clip if I’ve been away from the motor.

And I really don’t care if anybody accuses me of being on a horse, or pedantic, or OTT. It’s my licence and I worked hard to get it. To me my licence is a privilege that comes with responsibility. :wink:

Just my thoughts…

flying_fenman:
Good advice that Dobyman. :wink:

Don’t want to get drawn into any heated argument with anyone (no - I really don’t :sunglasses: ) but I always have a quick look around the motor when I get out of it for whatever reason.

It takes no time at all and I don’t see it as a chore - it’s just part of our job. It is what sets us apart from the other non-vocational licence holders on the road. :smiley:

Lights, wheels/tyres and dog clip if I’ve been away from the motor.

And I really don’t care if anybody accuses me of being on a horse, or pedantic, or OTT. It’s my licence and I worked hard to get it. To me my licence is a privilege that comes with responsibility. :wink:

Just my thoughts…

Well said!!

flying_fenman:

Just my thoughts…

Mine too Fenman, I once got pilloried on here by one who has since departed for pastures new :unamused: for daring to reveal that, after picking up a trailer, I crouch underneath and shine a torch into the jaws, just to be certain. :laughing:

Spardo:

flying_fenman:

Just my thoughts…

Mine too Fenman, I once got pilloried on here by one who has since departed for pastures new :unamused: for daring to reveal that, after picking up a trailer, I crouch underneath and shine a torch into the jaws, just to be certain. :laughing:

I do that as well David. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Also, for your information and going by comments I have received since a certain bridge strike thread, carrying a tape measure to check the height of your vehicle is just as stupid. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

because it alerted me to the farm tractor and trailer further on that was also, literally, moonlighting

A tractor with no lights?! Nah dont believe that for a minute, they all have such well maintained lights, you never see one with faulty or mud plastered lights. [sarc]

And I really don’t care if anybody accuses me of being on a horse,

Are you sure you dont? There was another post a while back slating people on horses a while back. Aparently they’re all hated too and unsafe to be on the road. Never seen someone riding a horse while struggling to light a ■■■ when at full gallop though… :laughing:

There should be a law that is enforced to make shure that the tractors have properly working equipment and there should be fines to make shure that they keep them maintained :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

As for my trailer lights- when i look up to a new trailer I always go round and check the lights and the tyres- Better to be safe than sorry :sunglasses:

Whilst we’re on the subject…
From a non-driver (not LGV anyway)

How do you check the brake lights on a trailer if your on your own ?

and

If your Artic has ABS, does that work on the trailer too ?

:question:

stinky:
How do you check the brake lights on a trailer if your on your own ?

:question:

wedge something between the brake pedal and the steering column and run round the back or wait till dark and look in your mirrors :wink:

Coffeeholic:
carrying a tape measure to check the height of your vehicle is just as stupid.

if only they realised how trailer heights varied with diffent units. if I pick up a 14’9" 4.5m trailer and measure it with the tape measure, it’s 14’11".

What’s the true height of a 4m mega trailer when it’s coupled to a unit with big wheels? that can vary greatly, but with a tape measure to hand, you know for sure.

to check lights on your own back up to a wall and look for the reflection or listen to the relay making an unusual noise

hitch:
to check lights on your own back up to a wall and look for the reflection or listen to the relay making an unusual noise

Would that be a click of the relay then?

hitch:
listen to the relay making an unusual noise

Only way to check brake lights is to visualy check them.

On the volvo’s the trailer plate is just the right size for jamming on the brake pedal and under the steering column cowling,easy!

with the new R series scanias, the alarm fob has a button for testing the lights. you can lock the cab, push the lights-test button on the fob and you get a 2 minute sequence of every light fitted to the unit and trailer.

And every good driver carries spare bulbs, fuses and lenses, along with the tools needed to make the outfit legal.

:wink:

if I carry on like this, my high horse will go lame!

In the old days :unamused: , a paper clip jammed between the contacts fully exposed on the inside rear cab bulkhead of my Mk.1 Atki was all that was needed to check the stop lights. Nowadays you need a computer :cry: