THE PDU-UK "Q&A"

Dipper_Dave:
The only way I can see this working is the whole PDU name being dropped, remove the £5 subscription although theres no doubt been a fair bit of cost to date both financial and time in this already.

Strength in numbers is best acheivable if Rikki allows you to plant your PDU seed in his Trucknet field. Formation of any unity can then grow from there.

No need to be a card carrying member just yet the seed needs nuturing and fertilising from a firm foundation. Membership is automatic once one becomes a professional driver.

Issues affecting the majority can be voted on, discussed, epetitions / contact with official bodies can begin once the points issues have been thrashed out.

Take laybys for instance they should be wider longer safer and it should be part of any new road build that suitable laybys with litter bins are installed. Fines for littering and cctv installation is another consideration. Even a good drainage chsnnel and monthly jetwashing because its a reality most of the population ■■■■ in them anyway. Current laybys should be revamped and improved as and where possible.

Better facilities for women, lets get the Sheilas involved. Im sure if male truckers have experienced poor facilities ladies must be in the same boat when they want to lather up.

[Due to high thread scrutiny I have had to avoid ■■■■■■ innuendo in this post, think I managed it]

I’m shocked by the lack of ■■■■! :open_mouth:

But I agree…

Barrie mate, I know you have a backlog and only 5 fingers on one hand to post, but seeing as I am one of the very few on here who agree with your proposal (In PRINCIPLE that is) and am trying too take you on face value (and not based on past events in an effort to discredit you) and see you in a good light.
What is your take on my question/suggestion on the ‘Either Or’ option I mentioned last night.
Imo it would be a vehicle to prove to the doubters that you were serious and had substance rather than hot air.

Dipper_Dave:
The only way I can see this working is the whole PDU name being dropped, remove the £5 subscription although theres no doubt been a fair bit of cost to date both financial and time in this already.

Strength in numbers is best acheivable if Rikki allows you to plant your PDU seed in his Trucknet field. Formation of any unity can then grow from there.

No need to be a card carrying member just yet the seed needs nuturing and fertilising from a firm foundation. Membership is automatic once one becomes a professional driver.

Issues affecting the majority can be voted on, discussed, epetitions / contact with official bodies can begin once the points issues have been thrashed out.

Take laybys for instance they should be wider longer safer and it should be part of any new road build that suitable laybys with litter bins are installed. Fines for littering and cctv installation is another consideration. Even a good drainage chsnnel and monthly jetwashing because its a reality most of the population ■■■■ in them anyway. Current laybys should be revamped and improved as and where possible.

Better facilities for women, lets get the Sheilas involved. Im sure if male truckers have experienced poor facilities ladies must be in the same boat when they want to lather up.

[Due to high thread scrutiny I have had to avoid ■■■■■■ innuendo in this post, think I managed it]

The £5.00 is in place and will remain to obtain a recognition of the UNITY so that we can communicate with the higher Authorities.

Also
The Membership Cards give each member a unique ID Number and this can be used to obtain Discounts the PDU are working on
Already 5 Companies have offered up ward of 20% to those members so I would hope most would get there money back and more

From a Sat Nave to gloves and work clothes all are offered to members, so maybe £5.00 might beneficial
Weare working on getting even more discounts over time.

robroy:

TheBear:

robroy:
A lot on here seem to be confusing the word ‘union’ with a small ‘u’ …with a Trade Union.
A union is a group of two or more people with a common interest, even a marriage is a union.
A Trade Union is a group of workers with a political agenda, it is also a dirty word to a lot on here.
That is where the confusion is setting in. The PDU is a union with a small ‘u’ not a Trade Union in the true sense of the word (s)
I’m sure Barrie can speak for himself (so I’m sorry to stick my neb in Barrie :blush: ) but I think that is what he means when he says it is not a ‘Union’ .
Here endeth the English lesson for today. :laughing:

Just what is needed for a beautiful Sunday morning, good Sir :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

God Bless you my child.

Amen Reverend Rob.

Where’s your collection tin Father.

Barrie,

I’m glad you’ve come back too fight the good fight but you haven’t answered my genuine questions.
How do you expect people too join the cause if your not open. I see no reason too support you so far, like many others. Your really not helping yourself in my opinion.

robroy:
Barrie mate, I know you have a backlog and only 5 fingers on one hand to post, but seeing as I am one of the very few on here who agree with your proposal (In PRINCIPLE that is) and am trying too take you on face value (and not based on past events in an effort to discredit you) and see you in a good light.
What is your take on my question/suggestion on the ‘Either Or’ option I mentioned last night.
Imo it would be a vehicle to prove to the doubters that you were serious and had substance rather than hot air.

Sorry I might have missed you question

Either Or
Do you mind reposting rather than trying to find it

robroy:
Since I last posted on this 8 pages ago, :open_mouth: , I have learned a lot about Barrie and his past failings. (which he has freely admitted to, to his credit.)
What I don’t get is the disproportinate abuse he is getting…somebody has just compared him to Hitler :open_mouth: …Hitler ffs! The biggest criminal and murderer in modern history. :open_mouth:

My suggestion would be to build up a membership over the first 6 months, but seeing as all the negative comments on here seem to come down to mistrust concerning the £5 membership, make it on an ‘‘Either/Or’’ basis. :bulb: ie…Free or voluntary, then if anything results positively from Barrie’s activities and actions in those 6 months, the members who went for the free option stump up the fiver.

At least give the guy a chance to show what he can (or can’t) do, instead of just slagging him off for past occasions.
That way the doubters are proved wrong (or right) and the 5 quid investors get their return or lose it, as in my case a fiver lost will not drive me to suicide.ffs :unamused:

To address you Barrie,… As I said before mate…■■■■■■■ against the wind.

Drivers (including a lot on here) NEVER cease to amaze me. :unamused:
I have banged on about drivers having no balls on here in the past, to the point of boring MYSELF, never mind anyone else.

In the past for instance I have kicked off on here about stuff like insults to our professional integrity, in cab cameras, or spotty arsed young traffic operatives getting entitlement to come at us armed with a [zb] breathalyzer before we set off on the road :imp: and you get answers back like (in a predictable whiny annoying voice :unamused: ) ''Well if you have nothing to hide, why are you worried" …I aint [zb] ‘‘worried’’ you [zb] moron I’m insulted. :smiling_imp:

But they continue to not only bend over, …but part their cheeks to help the perpetrator, and take anything that is dished out to them with no resistance.

The drivers with good numbers aint interested and that’s fair enough.
The others such as me do their job well while looking after no.1 … and take the ■■■■ out of our fellow employees doing the same job as us but getting pushed 10 times more.

As I said, the severity of the hostility baffles me, you have an uphill struggle, but at least you are standing up and having a go.
So to keep on topic, my question is Barrie…
What do you think of my idea of an ‘either/or’ option for membership fee until you prove the doubters wrong.■■

Edit;…Looks like he has gone. I will never know :cry: :smiley:

This was my post last night Barrie.

robroy:

robroy:
Since I last posted on this 8 pages ago, :open_mouth: , I have learned a lot about Barrie and his past failings. (which he has freely admitted to, to his credit.)
What I don’t get is the disproportinate abuse he is getting…somebody has just compared him to Hitler :open_mouth: …Hitler ffs! The biggest criminal and murderer in modern history. :open_mouth:

My suggestion would be to build up a membership over the first 6 months, but seeing as all the negative comments on here seem to come down to mistrust concerning the £5 membership, make it on an ‘‘Either/Or’’ basis. :bulb: ie…Free or voluntary, then if anything results positively from Barrie’s activities and actions in those 6 months, the members who went for the free option stump up the fiver.

I believe this was your question and I missed it earlier but a recent question hopefully answered it "The £5.00 is in place and will remain to obtain a recognition of the UNITY so that we can communicate with the higher Authorities.

Also
The Membership Cards give each member a unique ID Number and this can be used to obtain Discounts the PDU are working on
Already 5 Companies have offered up ward of 20% to those members so I would hope most would get there money back and more

From a Sat Nave to gloves and work clothes all are offered to members, so maybe £5.00 might beneficial
Weare working on getting even more discounts over time."

At least give the guy a chance to show what he can (or can’t) do, instead of just slagging him off for past occasions.
That way the doubters are proved wrong (or right) and the 5 quid investors get their return or lose it, as in my case a fiver lost will not drive me to suicide.ffs :unamused:

To address you Barrie,… As I said before mate…■■■■■■■ against the wind.

Drivers (including a lot on here) NEVER cease to amaze me. :unamused:
I have banged on about drivers having no balls on here in the past, to the point of boring MYSELF, never mind anyone else.

In the past for instance I have kicked off on here about stuff like insults to our professional integrity, in cab cameras, or spotty arsed young traffic operatives getting entitlement to come at us armed with a [zb] breathalyzer before we set off on the road :imp: and you get answers back like (in a predictable whiny annoying voice :unamused: ) ''Well if you have nothing to hide, why are you worried" …I aint [zb] ‘‘worried’’ you [zb] moron I’m insulted. :smiling_imp:

But they continue to not only bend over, …but part their cheeks to help the perpetrator, and take anything that is dished out to them with no resistance.

The drivers with good numbers aint interested and that’s fair enough.
The others such as me do their job well while looking after no.1 … and take the ■■■■ out of our fellow employees doing the same job as us but getting pushed 10 times more.

As I said, the severity of the hostility baffles me, you have an uphill struggle, but at least you are standing up and having a go.
So to keep on topic, my question is Barrie…
What do you think of my idea of an ‘either/or’ option for membership fee until you prove the doubters wrong.■■

Edit;…Looks like he has gone. I will never know :cry: :smiley:

This was my post last night Barrie.

Barrie Tozer:
The £5.00 is in place and will remain to obtain a recognition of the UNITY so that we can communicate with the higher Authorities.

Also

We are working on getting even more discounts over time.

I’m not that bothered about shelling out a fiver for membership, and suspect most other’s aren’t either. But if you think you can sell a membership fee by stating that we can get discounts on work PPE, I think you have missed the point! People want to know WHAT you are going to do, not what freebies/discounts they can get as a member…

Discounts that’s an interesting one Barrie, my sat navs at the going on the blink stage where it shows a blank screen, no roads and even the voice sounds knackered. Navigating is quite a challenge these days.

Are you able to give us one of the discount stores names you’ve approached ?

Dipper_Dave:
Discounts that’s an interesting one Barrie, my sat navs at the going on the blink stage where it shows a blank screen, no roads and even the voice sounds knackered. Navigating is quite a challenge these days.

20% Discount on AGURI Truck Navigation.

not allowed to post a link but it is on the website

Evil8Beezle:

Barrie Tozer:

Also

I’m not that bothered about shelling out a fiver for membership, and suspect most other’s aren’t either. But if you think you can sell a membership fee by stating that we can get discounts on work PPE, I think you have missed the point! People want to know WHAT you are going to do, not what freebies/discounts they can get as a member…

The Discounts are only to try and get drivers something back for their support.

If you read the many answers given you will read what the PDU aims to try and do, not me but all as one.

Barrie Tozer:

Dipper_Dave:

Am I? :smiley:
https://aguriworld.co.uk/index.php/aguri-truckstar-tx500-dvr.html

Evil8Beezle:

Barrie Tozer:

Dipper_Dave:

Am I? :smiley:
https://aguriworld.co.uk/index.php/aguri-truckstar-tx500-dvr.html

Obviously yes :smiley:

Just me trying to stay within the rules :unamused:

Evil8Beezle:

Barrie Tozer:

Also

Got to agree with that. The reason I suggested the (short term provisional) ‘either or’ thing, was for the benefit of the doubters and for Barrie to gain credibility towards them. :bulb: not because I was bothered about a fiver.

Most of US that agreed with Barrie in principle would more than likely take a punt on a fiver and never miss it.
I think that the only ones who would have the audacity to apply to join on the option of paying only on results would be a compromise by the doubters and knockers. (When I say knockers, I aint referring to the many ■■■■ on the forum btw) :laughing:

Cheers Barrie I’ll look into it.
Oh cheers evil you naughty poster you. :wink:

Barrie Tozer:

volvo2:
I don’t know you Barrie nor do I have any gripes with you but yesterday I learned absolutely nothing more about the PDU than I had known from reading the web and group page. I think basically the idea is a good one but you need to sell it to us drivers in a way we can understand. This is your passion someone said well the passion did not jump out yesterday from these pages.
Here is a few questions for you and please take time to put the answer together and inform the readers.

Drivers conditions what is your plan for this how are you going to achieve this. Who are you going to talk to to discuss this. What are the conditions you are going to try to change. Every driver works in different and with different conditions some worse than others.

I have tried to put the main issues together and they are stated on the website on the “issues” page and also some possible solutions to resolve them, At the moment they have only been suggested and it needs far more discussion from many other drivers in the job to ensure the moving forward with them is “what they want” once they are in place then talks can begin with the Authorities that can bring about those changes. No quick solutions and a long way to achieve any of them
I have read all that but I think you missed my point. it is the strategic plan I was hoping to hear about. There are 1000’s of haulage companies in the uk each different with different conditions with separate pay structures etc I would like to know how the PDU can make this all a level playing field for all. How can you try to achieve this. You need forward planning to deal with this situation and all I ask is what is your plan. What authorities are you going to discuss it with authorities there are many I would like to know exactly which ones and if they have the power to make a difference by the PDU talking to them

Respect for drivers. Nobody can do that for a driver. Each and every driver on the road are the only ones that can earn respect for ourselves but if you have a plan to achieve this please tell us in depth what ou are going to do to get the result needed. People talk about the respect in the olden times but that was the last century and there were fewer lorries on the roads in those days and fewer drivers and fewer cars and bicycles.Times have changed since then.

Respect can only be earned and it is something everyone would like, Hopefully the pdu by bringing drivers together can start to bring it about by bring recognition, working on ways to earn it and then only if everyone wants it can it slowly be earned.
Drivers themselves are the ony ones who can earn respect by their behaviour. What exactly are the plans on how to train drivers to earn respect. What is the strategy. Don’t say unity that is not the answer It is behaviour how can you change the drivers attitude and behaviour

Unity that is another thing only drivers can do if they really want unity they will go for it but if you can sell it to us do and let us know how you can achieve this.This has been tried many times before but drivers never were interested. What can you do to change the mind set of drivers in depth answer would be good .Is there a way you can manage this.

On this forum and many other media outlets you always read it will never happen, Well Why? It is a long progress of apathy mis-trust and a basic acknowledgement that it wont happen. Only each individual can make it happen but there needs to be somewhere they can go and join to bring it about. Is the PDU the place only time will tell, but I hope by talking to you and many others we can show it can be done

Say you have 1,000 members would you say that is unity when there are 100’s of thousands drivers on the road. Would you be satisfied with such a small nunber A small unity would it be enough to get things pushed through do you think. The majority already belong to a union and behind the scenes which is not in the public domain they are helping drivers with their problems. How can the PDU out perform a true union.

These are questions I am sure every driver would want a full informative answer to. You need to sell it to us not just make a statement about it and refer people to the site. The site does not give answers just a bit of information
Sorry for being such a pain but you need to have a full explanation of what the PDU is going to try to achieve. Only by doing that will drivers buy into it. We need specifics.It is like buying a car do we just want to be told it moves forward and back and can do xmph No we need to hear the whole specification of it before we buy it. So it must be with the PDU.
If you want members this is the only way you will get them

Advertising other groups is against the forum guidelines, However given the nature of this “Q&A” Barrie is entitled to state his past and current positions of his organisation. However there is a fine line between explaining a position and actively promoting a group.

Can everyone ensure this line isn’t crossed. So far this thread hasn’t had to be moderated , lets keep it that way please

Barrie Tozer:

Herongate:

Herongate:
I managed to read to page 7/8 before starting to lose track of which questions were being asked and answered, and therefore losing interest!!!

You state you have had various meetings with bodies, MSA Directors, RDC owners etc - could you please post copies of the formal minutes of these meetings or a link to where they can be read. This would allow potential & existing members to see what discussions have taken place, the quality of those discussions, the next steps / actions to be taken & by whom.

Many of these meetings go back a long way so It would take a long time to produce all that it entailed, lets just say achievements were obtained for Drivers, like £3m spent on new showers at Welcome Break Services, Some MSAs changing the priority for truckes on exits due to blind spots, Tesco opening up their waiting rooms from a little slot in a window. The past achievements are not important. We now need to work on changing future improvements and it takes time from opening the door to presenting a good proposal.

Plus even though you have stated this is a non-profit organisation, could you post or provide a link too a set of audited accounts. This would show potential & existing members where their money has been spent, what surplus is currently available for future development & reinvestment. It maybe non-profit, but you still need to justify & evidence the financial side of your organisation.

Accounts are in place,but a with any organisation nothing is available for audit until after its first year

Thank you

Hi, third time now of asking these two questions this morning - would appreciate a response. If you expect drivers to join you, you need to be open & transparent so informed decisions can be made.

PS, 10 or more are posting questions and I am answering as fast as I can

Thank you for responding - although strange I had to ask 3 times, when others were answered much quicker.

Despite what you say, past performance & achievements are important as they show if your organisation is capable of actually getting results or not. How many of the improvements you list are 100% down to your actions? How many of them where down to others? Shower refurb - companies don’t just spend £3m without planning and budgeting, so could have been in planning stages along time before you came along. Exit road layouts are agreed with Highways / Government, and not down to the individual MSA. Therefore documented minutes would show what you have actually achieved and what you are working towards with various different departments / organisations you are meeting with.

Accounts - should be done monthly income v expenditure etc; therefore you should be able & willing to publish these.

Does the £5 go into your bank account or a PDU bank account?

volvo2:

Barrie Tozer:

volvo2:
I don’t know you Barrie nor do I have any gripes with you but yesterday I learned absolutely nothing more about the PDU than I had known from reading the web and group page. I think basically the idea is a good one but you need to sell it to us drivers in a way we can understand. This is your passion someone said well the passion did not jump out yesterday from these pages.
Here is a few questions for you and please take time to put the answer together and inform the readers.

Drivers conditions what is your plan for this how are you going to achieve this. Who are you going to talk to to discuss this. What are the conditions you are going to try to change. Every driver works in different and with different conditions some worse than others.

I have tried to put the main issues together and they are stated on the website on the “issues” page and also some possible solutions to resolve them, At the moment they have only been suggested and it needs far more discussion from many other drivers in the job to ensure the moving forward with them is “what they want” once they are in place then talks can begin with the Authorities that can bring about those changes. No quick solutions and a long way to achieve any of them
I have read all that but I think you missed my point. it is the strategic plan I was hoping to hear about. There are 1000’s of haulage companies in the uk each different with different conditions with separate pay structures etc I would like to know how the PDU can make this all a level playing field for all. How can you try to achieve this. You need forward planning to deal with this situation and all I ask is what is your plan. What authorities are you going to discuss it with authorities there are many I would like to know exactly which ones and if they have the power to make a difference by the PDU talking to them

Respect for drivers. Nobody can do that for a driver. Each and every driver on the road are the only ones that can earn respect for ourselves but if you have a plan to achieve this please tell us in depth what ou are going to do to get the result needed. People talk about the respect in the olden times but that was the last century and there were fewer lorries on the roads in those days and fewer drivers and fewer cars and bicycles.Times have changed since then.

Respect can only be earned and it is something everyone would like, Hopefully the pdu by bringing drivers together can start to bring it about by bring recognition, working on ways to earn it and then only if everyone wants it can it slowly be earned.
Drivers themselves are the ony ones who can earn respect by their behaviour. What exactly are the plans on how to train drivers to earn respect. What is the strategy. Don’t say unity that is not the answer It is behaviour how can you change the drivers attitude and behaviour

Unity that is another thing only drivers can do if they really want unity they will go for it but if you can sell it to us do and let us know how you can achieve this.This has been tried many times before but drivers never were interested. What can you do to change the mind set of drivers in depth answer would be good .Is there a way you can manage this.

On this forum and many other media outlets you always read it will never happen, Well Why? It is a long progress of apathy mis-trust and a basic acknowledgement that it wont happen. Only each individual can make it happen but there needs to be somewhere they can go and join to bring it about. Is the PDU the place only time will tell, but I hope by talking to you and many others we can show it can be done

Say you have 1,000 members would you say that is unity when there are 100’s of thousands drivers on the road. Would you be satisfied with such a small nunber A small unity would it be enough to get things pushed through do you think. The majority already belong to a union and behind the scenes which is not in the public domain they are helping drivers with their problems. How can the PDU out perform a true union.

The unions do good work within a workplace, but who can say they have done anything in the past on much bigger problems, the lack of good parking, where were they when the RHA introduced POA or the DCPC, (I am not saying everyone disagrees with them) but Drivers in general were not consulted on their opinions or ideas on how they could be better and these are the targets for the PDU. A small unity might get some benefits for Drivers right across the board, (A set price £40 medical just as example) the bigger issues like a DCPC review would possibly need far more to air their views

These are questions I am sure every driver would want a full informative answer to. You need to sell it to us not just make a statement about it and refer people to the site. The site does not give answers just a bit of information
Sorry for being such a pain but you need to have a full explanation of what the PDU is going to try to achieve. Only by doing that will drivers buy into it. We need specifics.It is like buying a car do we just want to be told it moves forward and back and can do xmph No we need to hear the whole specification of it before we buy it. So it must be with the PDU.
If you want members this is the only way you will get them

I cannot go into specifics as we are new and moving forward, We first want many to be involved, discuss the best approach and solutions with proposals, work together to ensure what we ask for is the best for all. I do not have the answers until we talk on it far more. It is not my decision what Drivers want. It is for Drivers to put them forward and then the PDU with a lobby of you to address them

Noting can be done overnight, no specifics can be answered, the PDU is just a way that we can bring it all together to allow good communication, work on the issues and then try to sort them out

Herongate:

Barrie Tozer:

Herongate:

Herongate:
I managed to read to page 7/8 before starting to lose track of which questions were being asked and answered, and therefore losing interest!!!

You state you have had various meetings with bodies, MSA Directors, RDC owners etc - could you please post copies of the formal minutes of these meetings or a link to where they can be read. This would allow potential & existing members to see what discussions have taken place, the quality of those discussions, the next steps / actions to be taken & by whom.

Many of these meetings go back a long way so It would take a long time to produce all that it entailed, lets just say achievements were obtained for Drivers, like £3m spent on new showers at Welcome Break Services, Some MSAs changing the priority for truckes on exits due to blind spots, Tesco opening up their waiting rooms from a little slot in a window. The past achievements are not important. We now need to work on changing future improvements and it takes time from opening the door to presenting a good proposal.

Plus even though you have stated this is a non-profit organisation, could you post or provide a link too a set of audited accounts. This would show potential & existing members where their money has been spent, what surplus is currently available for future development & reinvestment. It maybe non-profit, but you still need to justify & evidence the financial side of your organisation.

Accounts are in place,but a with any organisation nothing is available for audit until after its first year

Thank you

Hi, third time now of asking these two questions this morning - would appreciate a response. If you expect drivers to join you, you need to be open & transparent so informed decisions can be made.

PS, 10 or more are posting questions and I am answering as fast as I can

Thank you for responding - although strange I had to ask 3 times, when others were answered much quicker.

Despite what you say, past performance & achievements are important as they show if your organisation is capable of actually getting results or not. How many of the improvements you list are 100% down to your actions? How many of them where down to others? Shower refurb - companies don’t just spend £3m without planning and budgeting, so could have been in planning stages along time before you came along. Exit road layouts are agreed with Highways / Government, and not down to the individual MSA. Therefore documented minutes would show what you have actually achieved and what you are working towards with various different departments / organisations you are meeting with.

Accounts - should be done monthly income v expenditure etc; therefore you should be able & willing to publish these.

Does the £5 go into your bank account or a PDU bank account?

I think that is a fair point proof of former achievements by yourself would be a great boost for members who are teetering on the fence. It could be what is needed to convince them that you can do it.