THE PDU-UK "Q&A"

dri-diddly-iver:
PDU-UK is a new venture and a £5 gamble

You are right on one of these but I wouldn’t say it is a new venture

dri-diddly-iver:
in my opinion to give the bloke another, maybe last chance.

I am still open minded about this but how many chances do people need?

Just been informed of this thred not read it all its going to take some time.
Barry is a good bloke though and means well. He already has my fiver :wink:

eezeer:

To keep this thread sensible please do not post with 2nd accounts :wink:

I thought the URTU was set up for basically this thing and what have they achieved ? .

Sorry Baz your on a loosing battle with this, to make any headway your going to need a big company to back your corner to even have a chance

Barrie Tozer:

Honked:
Who you work for. The challenges you faced in your own workplace.
What you have achieved within it and how.
How many of your own drivers support your actions in your workplace.
What are the next phases of changes you are discussing with your employer and how are they going.

Put some meat on the bones and I will gladly support a movement to improves conditions. But just as I wouldn’t trust my mrs to change a spare wheel, she is tip top at washing the pots.

Still waiting for a reply to this.

The PDU will not be involved in workplace disputes, It is more the National issues we are concerned about
Still waiting for an answer not a tag line.

Answered, The workplace is no concern for the PDU as said
I want your history. Your credentials for becoming an advocate of drivers. Your past record of achievement with your own employers.

If you can’t provide that, how are we able to judge if you can do it for us?

Can you answer any of these background questions?

as expressed in an answer, within the workplace I and most sort out their own issues within their working environment, move on to better jobs or negotiate better work.

The PDU is not interested or going to be involved in work place issues.

The PDU want to tackle issues no “single” driver can do anything about at a higher level than the workplace.

This I do have some experience with:-

I have been campaigning and given a voice forward for Drivers for many years using the name of Truckersworld, but it has been difficult without a unity of our profession. Even so I have had many meetings with Government Ministers, was a member of the RHA security forum where leading figures met 3 times a year and I voiced the drivers opinions. I have also had meetings with most RDC and MSA Directors, bringing about improvements for Drivers. Plus I have been a guest speaker for drivers at Industry level seminars. I have also managed to get money back for drivers in difficult circumstances and also made Companies open better toilet facilities.
I brought about a joint venture between the RHA/FTA and Truckersworld to obtain better overnight lorry parking leading to a Government consultation and the “Lorry Parking Strategy” (on-going but needs to be pushed)

As you will recognize, I have experience at contacting people, arranging meetings and taking your issues forward to the people who can make the changes for the better.
[/quote]
So we almost got an answer but not quite.

Apart from getting a toilet and campaigning for better facilities for drivers, can you list for us your manifesto?

A detailed outline of your clear aims and who and why these changes affect?

Are we paying to have you as the spokesman for all issues of concern or are you going to enlist others to speak on our behalf? If the latter, how will they be elected?

As you appear to have extensive contacts within our industry and contacts within other industries and providers relevant to ours, along with high profile meetings that have shaped improvements for the long term benefit of transport, can you provide details of these and explain what your role was, what your expectations were and how you can demonstrate that your input was relevant to any changes or improvement?

Can you provide any evidence where you were directly involved with, or a party to, a substantial change or improvement to something that enhanced or benefitted another driver that has no connection to your particular scope within this industry?

As you are using the ‘UK’ within your company name, will there be any separate devolution to provide specific differences for other countries within the UK? Have you any plans set aside if Scotland decide to, and get, independence from the Uk?

What are the future plans within your mandate if the UK votes to leave the EU?

Rikki-UK:

eezeer:

If management are privy to this then sack the customs officer that allow it

raymundo:
Where were they to speak up for Drivers with POA, WTD, CPC etc ?

Thought those rules came from Brussels and as our government cant fight against those cretins what chance would any union have ?

The next answer since my last reply so on we go :smiley:

POA is only UK,
CPC is a EU Directive “Implemented” by UK Government.
So could be amended

Just as a side line if we come out of the EU and talks take place to implement new rules for Drivers

Who will be in place to ensure Drivers have a say? or do we just leave it to the RHA/FTA to tell us without asking

Rikki-UK:

eezeer:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

To be fair though Rikki it could be Alan Johnson or John Sidney. After all they normally magically pop up in these conversations

raymundo:
quote … ‘I have also managed to get money back for drivers in difficult circumstances’

Yet you now refuse to get involved with workplace grievances !!

Sometimes just a letter can help out and if the PDU could help then it would, but there is no intention of actually being involved in disputes

Lee G:

dri-diddly-iver:
As stated previously I have known Baz for a few years and he is a genuine bloke. He has done more behind the scenes than you will ever be privy to establishing contacts and meeting etc (read the website). He has done all this and more for no reward except to try and make things better for others.

first off, i dont think anyone is ridiculing mr tozer, what he is trying to achieve is admirable, and takes a lot of balls to do.

secondly, why dont you (or he himself) tell us what he has done t these meetings then , with some form of proof (if available).

A reply from Mr Burnett CEO RHA following a meeting on the 8th March.
This meeting was simply to open a door to start discussion and as seen he has a agreed to meet a group of Drivers to listen to their issues

Barrie
good morning and apologies for the length of time it has taken for me to write, there has been a lot going on in the world of transport since we met and I think its fair to say I have been inundated.
I would of course like to thank you for making time to meet with me in Peterborough to discuss the important role that the driver plays in the logistics industry and the critical issues that you see that are effecting driver retention and recruitment. Clearly as an industry we have a lot of work to do still to attract both a younger audience and woman into the industry as well.
We talked a length about conditions, but there were a number of specific issues that you felt were real priorities that the industry needed to fix to improve driver retention and recruitment in the medium to long term. The issues that you raised and I captured were as follows:

1. Long hours
  2. Wages (£7.50 an hour)
  3. Drivers being rushed and put under pressure
  4. Driver CPC - quality of courses, content and cost for those drivers that have paid themselves
  5. Cost of driver medicals
  6. Driver facilities, parking, cost of parking
  7. Treatment of drivers at delivery points
    In my experience if you are going to influence change you need good constructive evidence that supports what you are saying. Without this you have no chance of getting Government or Industry to listen.
    As I explained on the day, I am happy to engage further and reaffirm my offer of a round table discussion. If you could organise a group and cross section of drivers, I will organise a date and venue to listen.
    This session will need to be constructive, balanced and informative, but also needs to be supported with facts and figures that back up the views and opinions that we discussed. That means anecdotal evidence won’t cut it, and a real poll of your members on the issues that you raised is critical to both understanding the issues, but then addressing them with pragmatic solutions in the longer term. For instance on drivers wages, how many business’s pay £7.50 an hour, in what sectors (general haulage, livestock, tipper etc?), is it a flat rate or a rate based upon minimum basic hours plus time and half thereafter with double time for weekends?
    I hope this summary captures the essence of what we discussed and look forward to catching up again soon. I will of course be in touch with a date, time of location for our agreed round table discussion.
    Regards

Richard Burnett

Lee G:

dri-diddly-iver:
PDU-UK is a new venture and a £5 gamble

You are right on one of these but I wouldn’t say it is a new venture

dri-diddly-iver:
in my opinion to give the bloke another, maybe last chance.

I am still open minded about this but how many chances do people need?

Chances maybe, and mistakes have been made

Also making changes to make it better from those mistakes.

Depends how you look at it

nick2008:
I thought the URTU was set up for basically this thing and what have they achieved ? .

Sorry Baz your on a loosing battle with this, to make any headway your going to need a big company to back your corner to even have a chance

Agreed the URTU should be the place for this and they have failed drivers.

Unfortunately due to most unions doing nothing there is little trust in anything similar.

Only time can the PDU prove to those doubters that it will “try” to improve conditions

Barrie Tozer:

Lee G:

dri-diddly-iver:
As stated previously I have known Baz for a few years and he is a genuine bloke. He has done more behind the scenes than you will ever be privy to establishing contacts and meeting etc (read the website). He has done all this and more for no reward except to try and make things better for others.

first off, i dont think anyone is ridiculing mr tozer, what he is trying to achieve is admirable, and takes a lot of balls to do.

secondly, why dont you (or he himself) tell us what he has done t these meetings then , with some form of proof (if available).

A reply from Mr Burnett CEO RHA following a meeting on the 8th March.
This meeting was simply to open a door to start discussion and as seen he has a agreed to meet a group of Drivers to listen to their issues

Barrie
good morning and apologies for the length of time it has taken for me to write, there has been a lot going on in the world of transport since we met and I think its fair to say I have been inundated.
I would of course like to thank you for making time to meet with me in Peterborough to discuss the important role that the driver plays in the logistics industry and the critical issues that you see that are effecting driver retention and recruitment. Clearly as an industry we have a lot of work to do still to attract both a younger audience and woman into the industry as well.
We talked a length about conditions, but there were a number of specific issues that you felt were real priorities that the industry needed to fix to improve driver retention and recruitment in the medium to long term. The issues that you raised and I captured were as follows:

1. Long hours…60 hours is not long hours over 5 or 6 days.
  2. Wages (£7.50 an hour).
  3. Drivers being rushed and put under pressure
  4. Driver CPC - quality of courses, content and cost for those drivers that have paid themselves
  5. Cost of driver medicals
  6. Driver facilities, parking, cost of parking
  7. Treatment of drivers at delivery points
    In my experience if you are going to influence change you need good constructive evidence that supports what you are saying. Without this you have no chance of getting Government or Industry to listen.
    As I explained on the day, I am happy to engage further and reaffirm my offer of a round table discussion. If you could organise a group and cross section of drivers, I will organise a date and venue to listen.
    This session will need to be constructive, balanced and informative, but also needs to be supported with facts and figures that back up the views and opinions that we discussed. That means anecdotal evidence won’t cut it, and a real poll of your members on the issues that you raised is critical to both understanding the issues, but then addressing them with pragmatic solutions in the longer term. For instance on drivers wages, how many business’s pay £7.50 an hour, in what sectors (general haulage, livestock, tipper etc?), is it a flat rate or a rate based upon minimum basic hours plus time and half thereafter with double time for weekends?
    I hope this summary captures the essence of what we discussed and look forward to catching up again soon. I will of course be in touch with a date, time of location for our agreed round table discussion.
    Regards

Richard Burnett

1.long hours…trying being a NHS worker,60 hours is not “long” hours over 5-6 days
2.£7.50ph wages…that’s very low and I bet less than 10% earn that
3.driver being rushed…that’s a company issue,how will the government change that,remember you already said you can’t:won’t be involved in workplace disputes.
4.Drivers CPC…ill give you that one,it’s a waste of money.
5.cost of driver medicals…its once every 5 years,and if you search enough you’ll find it for under £50 that’s £10 a year to know your medically able to drive,not excessive.
6.driver facilities,parking and cost of parking…facilities in MSA are nothing to do with the government,parking (could be better),cost of parking…should be payed by the employer but remember you are not getting involved in work place disputes.
7.Treatment of drivers at delivery points…some drivers need to man up,we are not royalty or even VIPs,treat them as they treat you.

So to summarise what do you want a 35k salary for?

Sorry to keep repeating the some of the questions asked but hopeful I will get a response at some point.

tonka236:
…Why did you organise a protest of the dCPC in 2012 some three years AFTER it came into force? Numerous years after it was ever thought up off?
Oh and just how much were your dCPC training modules again?..

The training sessions of course being organised before your training school idea failed to get of the ground
[/quote]
Why wasn’t this protest organised before your training school idea after the protest fell flat on its face. Why wasn’t it organised when the dCPC was being first drafted up?
Or did you see a quick buck to be made from organising the courses and charging in excess of the upload fee?

EC561/2006 is a EU directive. POA is firmly recognised in that

And as for your meeting with Mr Burnett that smacks of nothing more than being at school and getting a “must try harder” on your homework. Why wasn’t all the basic information sort beforehand? Rather than what appears to be a “keep throwing items out in the hope that one will stick” Manner?

You are asking drivers to fork out there hard earned money with little in the way of proof coming back at any success. Oh sorry you did mention getting a driver his money back, but then you contradict yourself by saying that the PDU will not get involved in work based issues

Rikki-UK:

eezeer:

Busted, cant say I didnt warn you :wink:

tonka236 go back 4 pages and you will read why I am simply ignoring you

You are making no sense asking questions of no relevance, posting pictures to look clever and ruining a good debate where some drivers may want to ask sensible and relevant questions.

Still more than happy to answer questions from others

Always be one out of the number on TN that try to ruin it for others

How many members are in the PDU in its current form ?

Dipper_Dave:

Rikki-UK:

eezeer:

Busted, cant say I didnt warn you :wink:

Not sure who eezeer is but I can guarantee it is not me.

Some have suspected in the past it is but I would swear on my mothers grave it is not and can do no more to convince
but whatever my faults I am honest and no one has doubted that.

swordtail:
How many members are in the PDU in its current form ?

For very good reason that is something I will not answer. (end of)

Just to say not enough “YET”

Having read all I could about the PDU-UK I have come to the conclusion that it is an ill thought out plan of action which will ultimately fail in any of it’s objectives. The head honcho is totally intransigent in his refusal to answer queries. Mr Tozer’s inability to have figures at this fingertips is unbelieveable. This is just like setting up a social club not a campaigning group. Secretiveness is not the way forward openness must be the norm.
I guess there isn’t an office just a business run from home now that sums it up for me. Everything has to centre round Mr Tozer… in his abolition of the old PDU he named people who brought it down it was himself who brought it down but by doing that he was exceptionally unprofessional and not fir to represent driver. He called those who did not agree with him scum. That is not professional. To be honest I wouldn’t buy a used car from a person like

Mt question now is why did you really want a session like this certainly it was not to answer questions.