Strong winds

I’m just curious if anyone knows what sort of weight you would be looking at to be safe in these winds ? You see/hear of trucks being lifted off the ground but surely they can’t be running that heavy ?

There is no safe weight as such judging by the power of nature that has been witnessed around the world. A tornado will rip an entire neighbourhood to pieces and can easily pick a truck up and throw it around like a toy. The type of trailer is a bigger factor than the weight for example, a curtainsider is more susceptible than a box or reefer

scanny77:
There is no safe weight as such judging by the power of nature that has been witnessed around the world. A tornado will rip an entire neighbourhood to pieces and can easily pick a truck up and throw it around like a toy. The type of trailer is a bigger factor than the weight for example, a curtainsider is more susceptible than a box or reefer

But in the uk you would expect a 40t box to be okay albeit a bit wobbly lol

I remember coming down Shap two years ago, the traction control light started flashing on the dash!! Essentially the unit was being lifted off the road and the wheels were starting to spin!! Not pleasant!! :open_mouth:

that was with 26 pallets of cheese on

Smoggie89:

scanny77:

But in the uk you would expect a 40t box to be okay albeit a bit wobbly lol

that is still a situation where a spare pair of underpants is advisable :laughing:

oddly enough, i don’t recall ever having seen a DD box blown over. I am finally off tonight so i wont be pulling one to cairnryan after the transport office realised that i was spot on last week when i told them they needed me more on Saturdays than thursdays :unamused:

take it easy and finish the shift safely today people

I’ve never seen a DD over either lol oh well that’s me ■■■■■■ with my 26pallets of soup lol , windy hill here I come :confused:

mds141:
I remember coming down Shap two years ago, the traction control light started flashing on the dash!! Essentially the unit was being lifted off the road and the wheels were starting to spin!! Not pleasant!! :open_mouth:

Brave man coming down shap with that weight of cheese and power still on. I salute you

I’m sat at teesport. Nowt doing because of the wind.
Ah well sat here all day.

greggy:
I’m sat at teesport. Nowt doing because of the wind.
Ah well sat here all day.

Sat here too, only my second day on containers!

mds141:

It wouldn’t have been lifting you up lol. Centre of gravity over the driving wheels would be shifting enough to trip the TC.

I’m sure Carryfast will have a precise formula for this subject

Glad I’m on containers now instead of curtainsiders/DD , trying to shut the curtains on DD is an absolute ball ache , just wait for a lull in the wind and go like ■■■■ lol

Our Luton van has been blown over in East Kilbride so they’ve decided to keep the rest of us in the yard till it dies down. Downside is we’ve been sent out in the yard to pick up all the rubbish that’s blown around.

Usually feel safe enough in a fully loaded bulk tipper as not as high as a curtain or box. Always used to be fine going over Humber Bridge but I’ve noticed a few tippers being turned round in recent months. Maybe it’s a sign of the H&S bull that they have to follow nowadays.

Tipped my first 1 at hamilton and have been told to park up till further notice. Left Ripon at 4.15 this morning and have to say there were a lot of arse clenching moments on route :open_mouth:

Got an 18t removal truck slowly making his way back to the south coast from Elgin! Have told him if its too bad to park it and get back in one piece. He says its not the worst he has been in but he is not enjoying the journey so far!

Starting later this evening when it’s supposed to have died down, but I’m lucky as i will be taking 26 pallets of toilet rolls south.

RIP drive…bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25220224.

:frowning:

I wonder what the lorry driver was thinking when his truck got blown over on the frairton bridge at perth. Goin by the pics on fb he a lucky driver

I’ve just pulled into Shap services. Its horrendous out there. Stay safe guys.