Strange sounding names

B1 GGK:

hammer:
Is there not a place called Upper Ramsbottom somewhere in the UK? :confused: :smiley:

There is a place called
T
W
A
T
T in the Shetland or Orkneys,

Funny you should mention that,I spotted it today while checking for a location in the Shetlands on Live Earth.

In Essex we’ve got

Matching Tye & Matching Green

and the other day my delivery address was

Green Street Green Road
Green Street Green
Kent

Also on the Kent coast you get Ham & Sandwich on the same signs.

We have a little village in Lincolnshire called New York.

My late Auntie used to live in Ham in Plymouth

Crook of Devon in Scotland.

As a Cornishman I thought all Devonians were crooks. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Turn on your blue lights and visit the village of ■■■■ Alley just outside Chesterfield

Ive never fancied going to Upper Slaughter Or Lower Slaughter. Come to think of it i try to give the Wallops a wide birth too!!!

I lived near Middlefart in Denmark a couple of years ago. As ■■■■ means, speed or fast its was always amusing to see a Policeman holding up a ■■■■ Kontrol sign.

Andy

Fulking Hill

W.Sussex

he he :laughing: found this thread quite amusing. Here’s a few more:

next village to mine, 100 metres away: Esprick

(You’ll have been thru’ it if you’ve ever left the M55 at J3 for Fleetwood)

About 5 miles away: Hardhorn.

On the way to Scarborough i think: Shilbottle. Saw that when i was trade plating in 1995 on my way to Plaxtons coach body builders of Scarborough, had got a lift with a driver, we both misread it initially thinking the first L was a T :laughing: We both nearly fell out the cab laughing.

West coast of ■■■■■■■■ Cockermouth.

Even smaller village in Lincs called Mexican Bridge, always find Carlton Scroop amusing its on the A607.

I like Little Peover and Lower Peover and of course Piddle.

Lickham Bottom, Devon

Tongue End

did a drop nr there today its east of Bourne.

In North Tyneside there is also a place called New York

Mothertrucker:
I like Little Peover and Lower Peover and of course Piddle.

yeah, i forgot that one Mothertrucker… & i see the sign for the golf club every weekend! You know you’re getting near to Lymm truck stop.

Apparently the locals refer to it as Pover.

Godmanchester always tickles me… there ain’t much Godly about the real Manchester lol.

And talking of how locals change the pronunciations to suit themselves, folk do it with surnames too.

e.g Cowburn becomes Coeburn and Death becomes De’ath

animal:

there’s Dallas in, i think, Morayshire, Scotland.

animal:

And also a place in Tyneside called Washington

also, a place near Sunderland could get you into trouble if you ask a pretty lady for directions

“Excuse me, how do I get to Seham?” (Say it out loud and you will see what I mean)

r wokingham we have the california crossroads

Wyre Piddle nr Pershore