Stobart speed limiters

merc0447:
Do you know that the American government owns all the gps satellites so if they go in a huff everyone would be screwed :grimacing:

Only 'til 2013 or 2014.

Coffeeholic:

merc0447:
Do you know that the American government owns all the gps satellites so if they go in a huff everyone would be screwed :grimacing:

Only 'til 2013 or 2014.

what happens then coffee bloke ā– ā–  just interested thats all ā€¦ :smiley:

strongbowpeter:
who sets there limiters?2 of there scanias came past me yesterday and my satnav was showing i was doing 55mph if i see one coming up behind me again ime moving into the middle lane,there not allowed in the outside lane yet are they?dont supose it will be long,and when it gets dark either theres get quicker or mine slows down!!! sour grapes you bet your biffin it is haha

I hope you dont try that trick with me as you would be in for a big suprise when the bat comes out of the window and belts your n/side mirrors as i too went on the inside of you we would see who thinks its funny then!!

bowser:

Coffeeholic:

merc0447:

Only 'til 2013 or 2014.

We are having our own GPS system to cover Europe

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4555276.stm

bowser:
i didā€™nt know that , so obamba is sat in the whitehouse watching me work .ā– ā–  he never told me that . heā€™s a git so he isā€¦ :smiley:

Its a passive system, so cannot report your position back to anyone.
As already stated, all info is stored on the sat nav device itself.

Yeah, i donā€™t think the original poster was being serious about pulling in to lane 2 to slow them down, he was just voicing his frustration at them arriving at the same place as him to tip. Itā€™s a good point though, Iā€™ve only ever overtaken Eddie if theyā€™re on a go slow.

bowser:

Coffeeholic:

merc0447:

Only 'til 2013 or 2014.

European system should be operational by then, Galileo

globby 480:

strongbowpeter:
who sets there limiters?2 of there scanias came past me yesterday and my satnav was showing i was doing 55mph if i see one coming up behind me again ime moving into the middle lane,there not allowed in the outside lane yet are they?donā€™t suppose it will be long,and when it gets dark either theres get quicker or mine slows down!!! sour grapes you bet your biffin it is ha ha

I hope you donā€™t try that trick with me as you would be in for a big surprise when the bat comes out of the window and belts your n/side mirrors as i too went on the inside of you we would see who thinks its funny then!!

that once happened in a film?

Cruise Control:

bowser:

bubsy06:
I think it only happens at night, I had 8 trucks in a row all from different companies overtake me on the m6 near carlisle on thursday night and my truck does bang on 56mph, In the day I hardly get anyone overtaking me :confused:

dont you know .ā– ā–  they get special permission from the queen to have speed limiters removed ā€¦ thought that was common knowledge ā€¦ :sunglasses:

they are also excluded from all WTD/Tacho rules as well, as they keep the county moving, as if there drivers pulled over for 45 min breaks the uk would grind to a halt within 44 mins :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

More sour grapes against Stobarts! Just beacuse a company does well most of you knock them. Yes they have under cut smaller companies but thats just called GOOD BUSINESS!

And before anyone asks, no I donā€™t work for them.

Paul Gloria Meadows:
More sour grapes against Stobarts! Just beacuse a company does well most of you knock them. Yes they have under cut smaller companies but thats just called GOOD BUSINESS!

thats always been my view, an iā€™ve never worked for either

stevie

stevieboy308:

Paul Gloria Meadows:

thats always been my view, an iā€™ve never worked for either

stevie

IMHO itā€™s pathetic! Some people should grow up. Given the chance I happily work fo rthem. What more can you ask for than job security? Maybe the wages are not the best but at least you know youā€™ll be working next week if you donā€™t screw up.

Only had a couple of Stobby motors tear by me, one was a Volvo bulker and the other a Scania on continental work. Both had extra lights and chrome bits fitted which I thought was strange considering most are fleet spec? Didnā€™t think they were allowed to customise their motors??

Grayham:
Only had a couple of Stobby motors tear by me, one was a Volvo bulker and the other a Scania on continental work. Both had extra lights and chrome bits fitted which I thought was strange considering most are fleet spec? Didnā€™t think they were allowed to customise their motors??

They would be subbys :bulb:

Well I work for Stobbies and the Scania I drive (58 reg) is limited to 89kph max and pretty much everything goes past me at a rate of knots on Motorways! Youā€™all knock yourselves out getting to your pickup or drop!!! :smiley:

Sat Nav should be to be the more accurate especially at a fixed speed within 1mph, Speedoā€™s always tend to over read so i thought most trucks actually did about 54mph i have had a few that show 56mph on the sat nav and not much passed them.

HOW ACCURATE IS THE SPEED READING?

From the NAVSTAR GPS User Equipment Introduction document Section 3.7:

GPS receivers typically calculate velocity by measuring the frequency shift (Doppler shift) of the GPS D-band carrier(s). Velocity accuracy can be scenario dependent, (multipath, obstructed sky view from the dash of a car, mountains, city canyons, bad DOP) but 0.2 m/sec per axis (95%) is achievable for PPS and SPS velocity accuracy is the same as PPS when SA is off.

Velocity measured by a GPS is inherently 3 dimension, but consumer GPS receivers only report 2D (horizontal) speed on their readout. Garminā€™s specifications quote 0.1mph accuracy but due to signal degredation problems noted above, perhaps 0.5mph accuracy in typical automobile applications would be what you can count on.

jimti:

Grayham:

They would be subbys :bulb:

Even with the Stobart livery and name on the wagon?

Grayham:

At Carlisle depot, there are at least 3 subbies who have been with the company since at least the early 1980,s. Their initials are DGMā€”EBā€”and WS. (There are others.) They have, between them about 15 motors. They choose the make of motor. and the names on them. They put on whatever they care to pay for, in the way of extra fittings. The paint job --(now the wrap)-- are the same as the rest of the fleet. The trailers that they pull are from the Stobart pool.

Will this placate the speed limiter objections. I am ignoring the knob who started the thread, but the points raised by others could make for an interesting discussion!

ukma.org.uk/docs/rtc/speedlimits201003.pdf

Grayham:

Yup, there are 100ā€™s of them out there

jimti:

Grayham:

Yup, there are 100ā€™s of them out there

A way to tell if its a genuine stobart motor its reg plate will start with a p eg px59 ā– ā– ā–  etc if its not like that it will more than likely be a subbie.