Shotgun

hopefully a quick question.

Doing a job this week taking pallets out to farm shops. wasn’t until unloading at the first i spotted that some of the pallets had shotgun cartridges on them. Not many two or three boxes.
Been getting conflicting info. Some yes ok to carry others not. Wondered what the definitive reply was?

were they proper cartridges with shot in , or just blanks that go bang
?

Ok to carry. I’m sure someone will be along shortly to provide a link to the relevant legislation though.

proper ones…

the maoster:
Ok to carry. I’m sure someone will be along shortly to provide a link to the relevant legislation though.

Thanks…

I just had a quick look online to see if I could find any info. There was nothing to say either way if it’s ok or not but I found a thread on a shooting forum stating that all delivery drivers need to see the SGC/firearms licence. So maybe that’s something to look into.

Danny.

SakoQuad

Members

380 posts
Joined 01-April 12
Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

I wish my postman would learn to use the same level of common sense!

Have to say I wouldn’t be looking to drop the guy in it for probably doing you a favour though it might be worth asking him to do something different next time. That sort of initiative should be encouraged.

I have had 2 deliveries from JC - on the paperwork it says SGC MUST be shown to delivery driver, whether they ask or not. On both occasions the drivers had no idea why I was offering them my certificate and both said they weren’t aware they were expected to see it and that it was the first time ever anyone had mentioned it!

Diesel Dave’s your man on this one :wink:

Hazardous by sea, But not by road.
So no issue whatsoever.

Simples, you can only buy your cartridges/bullets from a licensed firearms dealer in person and show your certificate. The dealer themselves can deliver, but any other way is totally illegal and if caught, big do dos with the police.
By carrying cartridges you are considered to be unlicensed in charge of weapons and get put inside.
In theory, when I go out bunny shooting, I have to take my licence, have a good reason to be out with my gun keep it secure at all times. If I buy bullets when I’m long way from home, I’m on dodgy ground as I carry them in the glovebox.

What if your truck was nicked, try explaining that to Mr Plod!

Hope this helps.
Paul

PS Rabbit pie anyone?

sonflowerinwales:
Simples, you can only buy your cartridges/bullets from a licensed firearms dealer in person and show your certificate. The dealer themselves can deliver, but any other way is totally illegal and if caught, big do dos with the police.
By carrying cartridges you are considered to be unlicensed in charge of weapons and get put inside.
In theory, when I go out bunny shooting, I have to take my licence, have a good reason to be out with my gun keep it secure at all times. If I buy bullets when I’m long way from home, I’m on dodgy ground as I carry them in the glovebox.

What if your truck was nicked, try explaining that to Mr Plod!

Hope this helps.
Paul

PS Rabbit pie anyone?

NOT TRUE - Your missus can collect your cartridges for you providing you give her a letter that she is doing it on your behalf.
It is an offence to purchase shotgun cartiridges without being the holder of a SGC but the law does not require you to have it with you wheon you when doing so (dealer may ask tyo see it and is entitled to check) it is NOT an offence to be in possession of shotgun cartridges without such certificate. hence no-one at your home who has access to such cartridges commits an offence.

Hi guys, new on. I have carried pallets of cartridges and legally as there was a loophole. It was classed as “sports equipment”!

john-sussex:
hopefully a quick question.

Doing a job this week taking pallets out to farm shops. wasn’t until unloading at the first i spotted that some of the pallets had shotgun cartridges on them. Not many two or three boxes.
Been getting conflicting info. Some yes ok to carry others not. Wondered what the definitive reply was?

Hi John,

Could you give the four digit UN number that you should be able to find on the boxes please? :smiley:
Also, can you remember what was on the orange diamond-shaped label please… was it 1.4 S by any chance?
(Other number/letter combinations are possible.)

For now, I can tell you that “proper” shotgun cartridges DO count as dangerous goods, because they are explosives.

Since you were driving a vehicle on a road from A to B for your boss, then it’s an ADR road transport question, so there’s no need to worry about who can buy/sell/use them, because we only need to consider them as pieces of freight in order to answer your question.

Densrig:
Hi guys, new on. I have carried pallets of cartridges and legally as there was a loophole. It was classed as “sports equipment”!

Sorry mate, but whoever told you that probably hadn’t read the exemption correctly, because there isn’t “a loophole.”

Were they your own cartridges on the pallets?

holliefabbabe:
were they proper cartridges with shot in , or just blanks that go bang
?

Hi holliefabbabe,

Either way up, they’re dangerous goods.

limeyphil:
Hazardous by sea, But not by road.

Sorry Phil, you’re incorrect.
Shotgun cartridges are dangerous goods by road and sea (and rail, and air,) because they have a UN number.
I think I understand your point about IMDG and ADR treating shotgun cartridges slightly differently, but they are nevertheless dangerous goods with carriage conditions to be complied with.

limeyphil:
So no issue whatsoever.

Sorry again Phil, ADR says there are a few things that need to be complied with, so it’s best to wait for the UN number, because that determines what conditions apply.

BTW, did you get around to booking the ADR course you were enquiring about?

I feel unnerved, the thread next to this most of the evening has been the Belfast thread :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi. Didn’t really look too closely. .I think 14s rings a bell. However there were no more than 6-8 boxes containing 10 boxes in each if that makes sence. As such would it come under the small package rule?
Not sure if I will be shifting them again but just wanted to be sure in my mind. Is there a reference I can downloador look at to see.
As yet I don’t have adr or anything like it.
Sorry to be a pain new one on me after all these years. Lol.
Thanks

sonflowerinwales:

If a vehicle driver carries shotgun cartridges as a transport movement from A to B for his boss as the OP did, then what law have you quoted?

Maybe what you’ve said is correct in relation to “I carry them in the glovebox,” but the OP is a vehicle driver doing deliveries as a transport job. Can you check whether that makes any difference?

You need a firearms licence for a firearm and or ammunition. Ive dug up live 303 and shotgun cartridges from farmland before while metal detecting, its either hand them into the police or re bury them out of site. If you have been watching that benefits street one of the women got done for possessing firearm ammunition. :slight_smile:

john-sussex:
… I think 14s rings a bell.

If the boxes had a 1.4 S label, these can be carried in any amount, even without an ADR licence.

1.4S.jpg

To be absolutely legal, you’d need 1 X 2Kg dry powder ADR compliant fire extinguisher (on board the vehicle) and some form of documented ADR “awareness” training covering the dangers of the stuff you’re carrying (which can be left in your boss’ office. :wink: )

You wouldn’t need an ADR licence or orange plates though, nor do you need to carry proof of your ADR “awareness” training on board the vehicle.

If the boxes were indeed 1.4 S, you can rest easy mate, cos ADR sets no threshold limit on them. :wink: