Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Hi all,
Here’s one for the older element out there.
Does anyone remember an Atki fitted with a Volvo F88 cab operated by Isaac Caswell.
If I remember correctly the reg: was YAX 94J but it was back in the seventies when I saw it outside Seacon in Millwall when I worked for John Raymond.
Apparently the conversion was carried out by apprentices in Caswells workshops.
Regards, Mr Steel)

Mrsteel:
Hi all,
Does anyone remember an Atki fitted with a Volvo F88 cab operated by Isaac Caswell.
If I remember correctly the reg: was YAX 94J but it was back in the seventies when I saw it outside Seacon in Millwall when I worked for John Raymond.
Regards, Mr Steel)

Hiya,
Now that would have been worth a look-see, but it does make you wonder
why the conversion was done in the first place unless of course the donor
Atki was blessed with a big ■■■■■■■ or a Cat engine that would have given
it a bit of grunt rather than the Gaffers favourite a “smoky Percy”.

Bewick:
That is a surprise Marcus you running an F86 and tri axle York ! What length was the trailer ? and the ULW of the outfit would have meant a good payload at 32 ton gvw--------- 2 X 11ton coils ? But all I can add to the debate about those early tri axles was that my first semi trailer was a 32 ft Primrose tandem 4 which was built on wider track axles but just with single 1100x 22:5 standard wheels and Mich X tyres and we never had a problem plus a payload of 18 tons @ 26 ton GVW was achieved. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,Well to be honest my F86 didn’t do a days work while I had her,I spent 3 years trying to get her up together so she looked as I would’ve ran her if I’d had the guts,money,luck and opertunity to become an O/D back in the day.I spoke to my pal Simon and the York is a 33 footer and he said his Dad bought it from York who used it as a demonstrator, he said that it was used with a Scania Vabis when Commercial Motors Ron Cater did a road test with it.The pic of my 86 attached is seen posing at the summit of Shap,a road you have travelled many times…I must admit I had a sense of glee as the 86 gave a lot of good old british lorries a run for their money as she climbed the hill :smiley: .Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img542.jpg

Hi again,more clippings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi again,more early cuttings spoilt by Photobucket,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img628 (2).jpg

bubbleman:

Bewick:
That is a surprise Marcus you running an F86 and tri axle York ! What length was the trailer ? and the ULW of the outfit would have meant a good payload at 32 ton gvw--------- 2 X 11ton coils ? But all I can add to the debate about those early tri axles was that my first semi trailer was a 32 ft Primrose tandem 4 which was built on wider track axles but just with single 1100x 22:5 standard wheels and Mich X tyres and we never had a problem plus a payload of 18 tons @ 26 ton GVW was achieved. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,Well to be honest my F86 didn’t do a days work while I had her,I spent 3 years trying to get her up together so she looked as I would’ve ran her if I’d had the guts,money,luck and opertunity to become an O/D back in the day.I spoke to my pal Simon and the York is a 33 footer and he said his Dad bought it from York who used it as a demonstrator, he said that it was used with a Scania Vabis when Commercial Motors Ron Cater did a road test with it.The pic of my 86 attached is seen posing at the summit of Shap,a road you have travelled many times…I must admit I had a sense of glee as the 86 gave a lot of good old british lorries a run for their money as she climbed the hill :smiley: .Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Thanks for the info Marcus ! I reckon I could have used that 33ft York behind the second Mastiff unit I bought which was 28 ton gvw so an 18ton tri axle bogie and a 10 ton drive axle and it would have been good for a 20ton payload ! Cheers Dennis.

bubbleman:

Bewick:
I recall that in the late 60’s after the 1968 transport act came about those narrow track single wheel trailers were OK in theory but in operation they were a disaster blowing tyres off and they seemed to disappear as fast as they appeared. Cheers Dennis.

Hi again,those early tri axle trailers which Dennis rightly says seemed to come and go quickly and at that time not many hit the road,the first pic is my F86 with one of these trailers on her back which survived,it was a 1967 York Trailer,enough of me rambling,heres todays cuttings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi bubbs ,that Seddon is a blast from the past Roger Constant from Stourport on Severn ,big quarry owners also ,regards Keith

Who took Constant’s over, I remember them having tippers and mixers but can’t recal what became of them?

Pete.

Mrsteel:
Hi all,
Regards, Mr Steel)

Yep, I remember that, mind you I was pretty young at the time. I remember seeing it a few times- the driver used to park it outside his house at Pandy, between Abergavenny & Hereford.
Apparently the Volvo cab was fitted after the original cab was written off in an accident.

Cheers Keith

Hi Bubbs,nice photo of the Mclaughlan E14.They were regular backloaders out of Wincanton Maltby,doing Livingston,Bellshill and Grangemouth for us. I have shunted that wagon many times whilst the driver was having his “piece” in our canteen,getting it loaded.There was a always some soft fruit left for the shunters,product rejected by Sainsburys at Brinsworth just up the road,where Mclaughlans tipped. :smiley:

Hello again,Thanks for the feedback lads,I’ve a question …when I go to the early pages on this thread the pictures are all spoilt by photobucket :frowning: but if I get on my mobile phone and have a look in then all the early pictures are as I posted them :smiley: …is this just me seeing the photobucket watermark 'cos I put them on there in the first place or is everyone seeing the spoilt pics?.More cuttings today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I can no longer view Photobucket pics posted by others, and my own account has closed anyway. A pain, but you either pay up or go without! :wink: I used to use Imageshack but that went the same way so I’m now on Imgur until that also goes ■■■■ up.

Nice pic of Punchy Dan’s old man’s ERF (if there is such a thing! :laughing: ) and Dan might want commission from you for using it so be warned! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
I can no longer view Photobucket pics posted by others, and my own account has closed anyway. A pain, but you either pay up or go without! :wink: I used to use Imageshack but that went the same way so I’m now on Imgur until that also goes ■■■■ up.

Nice pic of Punchy Dan’s old man’s ERF (if there is such a thing! :laughing: ) and Dan might want commission from you for using it so be warned! :laughing:

Pete.

Non of those above are watermarked to me, but some elsewhere are. I too started with Imageshack and then Photobucket but now can post them directly on here, No need for 3rd party. But I do not use a phone for pictures, does that make a difference?

Spardo:

windrush:

Pete.

Non of those above are watermarked to me, but some elsewhere are. I too started with Imageshack and then Photobucket but now can post them directly on here, No need for 3rd party. But I do not use a phone for pictures, does that make a difference?

I post directly as well, but some forums I am on haven’t that ability so that’s why I still use Imgur occasionally. My own pics are all by camera, my phone doesn’t take the best quality images alas.

Pete.

windrush:
Who took Constant’s over, I remember them having tippers and mixers but can’t recal what became of them?

Pete.

Hi ,can not remember what happened to them ,but they also had Seddons in British Sugar Corp colours out of the Kidderminster plant ,most of those Seddons were primrose conversions ,regards Keith

Hi Harry
Re: Isaac Caswells Atki, iirc it had a ■■■■■■■ in it probably a 220
The reason for the the cab change was that the Atki cab was written off in an accident but i’ve wondered why a Volvo cab ?. I imagine the Volvo cab was obviously second hand and probably a bit of a challenge to fit
Regards Allan ( not so long retired ,9 yrs )

K Mills
Hi Keith
Thanks for the reply.
As I said it was a long time ago and i’ve often wondered if I had got it right
Regards , Allan

Mrsteel:
Hi Harry
Re: Isaac Caswells Atki, iirc it had a ■■■■■■■ in it probably a 220
The reason for the the cab change was that the Atki cab was written off in an accident but i’ve wondered why a Volvo cab ?. I imagine the Volvo cab was obviously second hand and probably a bit of a challenge to fit
Regards Allan ( not so long retired ,9 yrs )

Hiya,
Thanks for that Mr Steel, yes I can understand why the conversion was
done and with it being ■■■■■■■ powered and it would be a challenge
for the apprentices and a decent motor for the driver, I know back in
the 60s I drove a rare bird an Atki with a 220 ■■■■■■■ in it and it was
able to keep up with and pass some of the incoming foreign stuff that
was making the scene at that time including the Volvo’s of that era, it
would be nice if there was a pic of the “mongrel” out there,Harry been
retired 19 years lol. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi again,thanks for the replies,heres todays stuff…the first pic sums up the daily graft drivers did back in the day :slight_smile: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Those Dodge’s were popular and they brought out a bigger engine around the 300 bhp mark that was quick.

Advert 1974.