Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Hi again,heres a few more cuttings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img307.jpg

bubbleman:
Hello again,Thanks for the feedback lads,I’ve a question …when I go to the early pages on this thread the pictures are all spoilt by photobucket :frowning: but if I get on my mobile phone and have a look in then all the early pictures are as I posted them :smiley: …is this just me seeing the photobucket watermark 'cos I put them on there in the first place or is everyone seeing the spoilt pics?.More cuttings today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

hello bubbleman,…my father wonders if that calor gas shot is the former Neath depot …Geraint

kenfig bill:

bubbleman:
Hello again,Thanks for the feedback lads,I’ve a question …when I go to the early pages on this thread the pictures are all spoilt by photobucket :frowning: but if I get on my mobile phone and have a look in then all the early pictures are as I posted them :smiley: …is this just me seeing the photobucket watermark 'cos I put them on there in the first place or is everyone seeing the spoilt pics?.More cuttings today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

hello bubbleman,…my father wonders if that calor gas shot is the former Neath depot …Geraint

Hello again,Geraint…if I recall the clipping was about old Leylands and was just an example of the big fleets of them at the time,sorry I cant give you any more info.Ok heres todays stuff with a giggle at the end,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

5.jpg

bubbleman:

kenfig bill:

bubbleman:

Hello again,Geraint…if I recall the clipping was about old Leylands and was just an example of the big fleets of them at the time,sorry I cant give you any more info.Ok heres todays stuff with a giggle at the end,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi Marcus, Thank you for your time and effort in posting these pictures. The Robert Baillie ERF and curtainsided trailer picture has
always intrigued me since I first found it on this thread about 3 years ago. For example, It was late 1970s when Baillies first bought
ERF lorries, and also around that time when they moved up from flat trailers to Tautliners from Boalloy. The signwriting on the trailer
shows Portsmouth and a Portsmouth phone number, but they had left Portsmouth around the end of 1969 and early 1970s, and moved
to Rowlands Castle Road at Horndean. The photo always gives me the impression that the trailer part of the picture has been “Photoshopped”
It would be interesting to know where the photo came from. Best regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:

bubbleman:

kenfig bill:

bubbleman:

Hi Marcus, Thank you for your time and effort in posting these pictures. The Robert Baillie ERF and curtainsided trailer picture has
always intrigued me since I first found it on this thread about 3 years ago. For example, It was late 1970s when Baillies first bought
ERF lorries, and also around that time when they moved up from flat trailers to Tautliners from Boalloy. The signwriting on the trailer
shows Portsmouth and a Portsmouth phone number, but they had left Portsmouth around the end of 1969 and early 1970s, and moved
to Rowlands Castle Road at Horndean. The photo always gives me the impression that the trailer part of the picture has been “Photoshopped”
It would be interesting to know where the photo came from. Best regards, Ray Smyth.

Might just be me Ray but IMHO I do not think that the Curtainsider is a Boalloy ! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, Thank you for your post above. I knew that the trailer in the picture wasn’t a Boalloy product.
Me and thee can distinguish a Tautliner from an ordinary curtainsider at 1000 yards. It was about 1978 when
Robert Baillie bought new Crane Fruehauf 40 footers with " Tautliner " curtainsided bodywork from Boalloy.
Around the same time, Baillies sent many of their CF flat 40 footers to Congleton for conversion to their
top quality Tautliner spec. From about 1979, Robert Baillie`s Wigan depot was converted into a commercial
paintshop, and started painting mechanically refurbished flat trailers for Boalloy prior to them being built
into a Tautliner. Around that time, I did a few runs to and from Boalloy at Congleton, delivering a freshly
painted trailer chassis, and bringing a shotblasted one back to Wigan for repaint. Its the signwriting on the
trailer in the picture that confuses me, Baillies only got curtainsided trailers in 1978, but they had left
Portsmouth 8 years before and moved up the road to Horndean. I have been amused many times when I have
heard someone referring to a curtainsider as a Tall-liner, or a Talkliner, or a Torqueliner. Not all curtainsiders
are " Tautliners ", and similarly, not all vacuum cleaners are Hoovers. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Regards, Ray.

Hello again,Thanks to Ray and Dennis for their input on curtainsiders,heres another few clippings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

A couple more of Davella’s.

daf davella.PNG

Hi again,more cuttings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img325.jpg

Couple fleet shots of Thorpes nmp’s, Buzzer

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dennis, Thank you for your post above. I knew that the trailer in the picture wasn’t a Boalloy product.
Me and thee can distinguish a Tautliner from an ordinary curtainsider at 1000 yards. It was about 1978 when
Robert Baillie bought new Crane Fruehauf 40 footers with " Tautliner " curtainsided bodywork from Boalloy.
Around the same time, Baillies sent many of their CF flat 40 footers to Congleton for conversion to their
top quality Tautliner spec. From about 1979, Robert Baillie`s Wigan depot was converted into a commercial
paintshop, and started painting mechanically refurbished flat trailers for Boalloy prior to them being built
into a Tautliner. Around that time, I did a few runs to and from Boalloy at Congleton, delivering a freshly
painted trailer chassis, and bringing a shotblasted one back to Wigan for repaint. Its the signwriting on the
trailer in the picture that confuses me, Baillies only got curtainsided trailers in 1978, but they had left
Portsmouth 8 years before and moved up the road to Horndean. I have been amused many times when I have
heard someone referring to a curtainsider as a Tall-liner, or a Talkliner, or a Torqueliner. Not all curtainsiders
are " Tautliners ", and similarly, not all vacuum cleaners are Hoovers. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Regards, Ray.

I regularly attend premises next door to the Boalloy site. Have to say that, like so many old firms, they are a shadow of their former selves. Such a shame when we consider just how much good work was done there in the past.

bubbleman:
Hello again,Thanks to Ray and Dennis for their input on curtainsiders,heres another few clippings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Re: The 8-wheeler Thorny- does anyone know who built those later cabs? I always thought that they looked the business back in their day, with such great engineering underneath as well.

Retired Old ■■■■:

bubbleman:

Re: The 8-wheeler Thorny- does anyone know who built those later cabs? I always thought that they looked the business back in their day, with such great engineering underneath as well.

We had two 8 wheel Thornys at Hargreaves in the early 60’s, grand machines. One had Thornys own engine (the best of the two), the other had a Gardner, how the Gardner came about I don’t know. Single drive back end , 4000 gallon tank on. They were a joy to use, I only rarely got the chance, at the time drivers had dedicated motors but when holidays or sick days came round I was front of the queue asking for the Thorny engined motor. :smiley:

Couple today nmp’s, Buzzer

87063735_802128266974428_7910630959463006208_n.jpg

Hi again,good contributions lads,heres todays stuff,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

3.jpg

Hi again,a few more cuttings…Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I wonder if the Tilcon S39 was destined for Ballidon and Kevin quarries? I never took any notice of fleet numbers but the ‘C’ before the number denotes ‘Central Region’ which would include those Derbyshire and Staffordshire quarries. We only had two like that, URA123K which had various drivers in the six years it would have been in the fleet. Chris Milner, Pete Harrison, Steve Skinner and finally the late Fred Brownlee (who blew the Gardner 6LXB on his first journey with it when it overheated on Weeford Bank and I then rebuilt the engine with a new block etc) were four of them, and WNU 788K which the late Ken Brandon drove. Our other S39 tipper, WNU 799K, had a different non insulated body and was piloted from new by Maurice Fearn, and later by his brother in law the late Nick Hall. More totally useless info from me! :blush:

Pete.

bubbleman:
Hi again,a few more cuttings…Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hello bubbleman ,lovely picture of Lloyds Ludlow on Ludford bridge before the bypass ,just beyond the bridge but out of view is the old Temeside garage where Tony LLoyds father first started up ,before going to bigger premises down Corvedale street .
May i also say thank you for the Swains of Stetton Scania ,bubbleman back on the Scania 111 thread ! Trevor

Retired Old ■■■■:

Ray Smyth:

Regards, Ray.

I regularly attend premises next door to the Boalloy site. Have to say that, like so many old firms, they are a shadow of their former selves. Such a shame when we consider just how much good work was done there in the past.

It is such a shame that Gerald Broadbent isn’t still around and that Boalloy had carried on as they were before Stobart bought them. We wouldnt be having this ridiculous thing that DVSA and Plod can open trailers and tell a driver how to do his job. Gerald designed these trailers for a purpose and they worked well! If you let the French or Chinese build a similar product, it will be inferior.

boalloy.co.uk/history.html

Retired Old ■■■■:

Ray Smyth:

Regards, Ray.

It is such a shame that Gerald Broadbent isn’t still around and that Boalloy had carried on as they were before Stobart bought them. We wouldnt be having this ridiculous thing that DVSA and Plod can open trailers and tell a driver how to do his job. Gerald designed these trailers for a purpose and they worked well! If you let the French or Chinese build a similar product, it will be inferior.

boalloy.co.uk/history.html