Scania - keys locked in cab

A few weeks ago I was in an 03 plate Scania which, IIRC, had covered 600k+ kms i.e. it was starting to show the signs of wear & tear, things were getting a bit loose and rattley etc.

Anyway, I pulled up at the wash-point, got out, closed the door behind me - it swung open. Closed it again - it swung open. Closed it again, rather firmly this time but not quite ‘slammed’ it shut - it stayed closed.

After the vehicle wash, went to get back in - doors locked, both of them!! Grrrrr :open_mouth: :imp: :unamused:

Not much consolation when a few of the blokes in the yard said “Yeah, that happens quite a bit. Faulty locking mechanism, worn locks, bad design, ■■■■ Scania!! lol”. Some chap, from previous experience, said the only way in is to either break a window or snap the door handle off and get to ‘the rods’ from there to open the lock, which is what happened (supposedly cheaper to replace than a new side-window).

Fast-forward to a different location/company last night and the short version is that it happened again but without the door-slamming. Last night was real inconvenient; spare keys not available until 8.30am, I was supposed to be having a night in the yard (in the truck, obviously) and I’d just put the weeks shopping (for a Spain run) on the cab floor before loading the fridge/freezer!! The tub of Ben & Jerry’s is going to make a right mess as it melts!! :frowning:

Scania call-out were not surprised; “Happens all of the time, mate” and could come out to it . . . . . . . for more than an average drivers weeks wage. So, alternative sleeping arrangements last night and get the spare key this morning at 8.30am and get going for the boat NLT midday.

Question: has anyone else had this happen to them? Is there a work-around? Is there a way for a ‘legitimate’ person to ‘break-in’ to a Scania cab (answers via PM please to avoid the dodgy gits who might be reading this!! :neutral_face: ) If it’s a ‘common occurrence’ (note Scania said ‘occurrence’, not ‘problem’) why haven’t they addressed it?

Any answers would be appreciated ASAP as my neck and back are killing me from sleeping in the car all night . . . . . . . . :wink: :laughing:

It’s not an unusual occurrence DAFs do it too both XF & CF’s
The local DHL depot had 5 DAF trucks + 2 subbies trucks self lock Over a month ALL of them entering or leaving the site. They self locked while the drivers where booking in/out at the gatehouse totally blocking traffic in/out of the site.
At least 3 of them had left the engine running when it happened, 1 ended up being locked out with the engine running for 1.5hrs. The TM went ballistic and will ban from site any driver who doesn’t switch off the engine and bring the keys with them when they book in/out

PM sent.

Seems common on mk1 Volvo FH’s too.

Thanks for the PM’s so far.

I should’ve mentioned; the front grill is the ‘locked’ type with release catch in by the door frame … :frowning:

PM sent with details on how to get in.

Common problem, I know a few people who carry a spare key, unchipped so it won’t work in the ignition but it will unlock the door. Only worthwhile if you are in the same truck most of the time mind.

I’ve had this happen on a couple of Scania rigids just by shutting the door firmly. Luckily the window was open enough both times to reach in and open from the inside.

Harry Monk:
PM sent.

Shuttlespanker:

Well done guys. Congrats for the helpful replies that everyone can benefit from.

Rob K:

Harry Monk:
PM sent.

Shuttlespanker:

Well done guys. Congrats for the helpful replies that everyone can benefit from.

If you had read the OP properly, he asked for the answers to be PM’d to him, we did what was asked, so go get a life and pick on Owner Drivers in that forum!

Oh, sorry, I forgot, you don’t know anything about that either do you, as you have never been one!

Why did you all need to send a pm, is a brick a trade secret :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

Rob K:

Harry Monk:
PM sent.

Shuttlespanker:

If you had read the OP properly, he asked for the answers to be PM’d to him, we did what was asked

I’ll give you that and happily stick my hand up and admit I was wrong.

so go get a life and pick on Owner Drivers in that forum!

Oh, sorry, I forgot, you don’t know anything about that either do you, as you have never been one!

Oh dear… back to the usual “I don’t have anything constructive to say and I’m still ■■■■■■ off with Rob K after he made a [zb] out of me for making that hypocritical comment last weekend, so time for some more vitriole and assumptions on things I know nothing about”. Nothing new here then. :sunglasses:

Older scanias usually have a sunroof which can be prised up from the outside, then you need a long pole with a hook on the end to pull the door lever. I used two broom handles taped together with gaffa and a cop hook screwed in the end, course such hi-tech equipment isn’t always available.

Rob K:

shuttlespanker:

Rob K:

Harry Monk:
PM sent.

Shuttlespanker:

If you had read the OP properly, he asked for the answers to be PM’d to him, we did what was asked

I’ll give you that and happily stick my hand up and admit I was wrong.

so go get a life and pick on Owner Drivers in that forum!

Oh dear… back to the usual “I don’t have anything constructive to say and I’m still ■■■■■■ off with Rob K after he made a [zb] out of me for making that hypocritical comment last weekend, so time for some more vitriole and assumptions on things I know nothing about”. Nothing new here then. :sunglasses:

Yeah…Cos’ Rob K is the “DADDY” on these forums right!? :unamused:

bigvern1:
Yeah…Cos’ Rob K is the “DADDY” on these forums right!? :unamused:

That’s right, so get back in your box and be quiet. :sunglasses: :laughing:

Yeah…Like I’ll do that…

not sure why its so hush hush as there have been topics before and people have said freely how to get into a locked cab etc…

a quick search Clicky Clicky

important question
did you manage save the icecream■■? :smiley:

This happened me a few weeks ago on a r500 and was told by touching two white wires to gether inside the front grill that you could pop the central locking so went in search o f the white wires opened the loom both sides of the grill and what did i find only about 100 white wires each side in the loom :slight_smile:
so got screwdriver broke off plastic surround of passenger side handle and went from there but got in after doing lot of damage to the passenger side locks.
so if anyone knows an easier way could they pm me so i know for again

thanks in advance

vinny

Big Brummie Macca:
Why did you all need to send a pm, is a brick a trade secret :laughing:

Do scousers read these forums :laughing: