Scania diesel tanks

why do they have two on some models, i assume its for more volume,why dont they just have one big tank ,its a pain in the neck filling up one tank then having to draw round the other side of the pumps to fill up the other tank .
why do you have to fill the nearside tank up first :question: ta

can’t they just link the tanks? the wifes boss has linked tanks on his merc. it is a G reg though so maybe there was a law banning it since the truck was built

ady1:
why do they have two on some models, i assume its for more volume,why dont they just have one big tank ,its a pain in the neck filling up one tank then having to draw round the other side of the pumps to fill up the other tank .

SAFETY
in case of an Accident goes just one Tank

all i know is it says on the offside tank to fill the nearside first[ only noticed sticker after just filling offside for 1st 2 days ], mind it was dark ,didnt seem to make any difference ,just wondered why two tanks and why nearside 1st

I always fill my offside tank first no probs… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

on the trucks where we work we have one 800ltr tank and one 400ltr tank. as far as i know drivers fill up offside first then nearside… i know the feed for the engine is in the offside tank

ady1:

typical scania they cnt be assed to design their 6 wheeler tractor’s with the tank on one side and the battery’s air tanks an all the other gubbin’s on the other side yet another reason i dnt like the chuffin thing’s

I’ve got a 200l on the nearside and a 300l on the offside.

Scania (delaer) told me to fill nearside first then the other, but it makes no odds. Generally I try and use stations where I can do both together rather than have to turn around or shunt over.

Mine are balanced (Y reg) although it does take quite some time for the gauge to read true if I only fill one tank.

Acording to the nice folk at AQA, scania have two tanks to maximise distance travelled befor refueling, they total 500lts(1at 350lts and 1at 150lts).

(ady)They couldnt fit a 500ltr tank between midlift and cab on 6by2s and i assume to save cost made the same for 4by2s but you can order the 4by2s with different tanks to suit needs etc etc.

As for which tank to fill 1st in my experiance it has never made a difference and at some services you can fill them at the same time.

You can have any tank you like on any side, its down to specing the truck right,

Scania has a standard set up but you can have what you like, as long as it fits in the gap,

Its not a case scania not being bothered to design a truck with the tank one side and everything else on the other, its down to the customer not being bothered to spec it correctly!

you can have what you want where you want you only have to ask!!! :laughing:

I used to drive a scania with twin tanks that were linked by a connecting pipe which had a tap in it, I closed the tap so only used the fuel out of one tank which made refuelling easier. But could still use the second tank as a reserve if I needed to by opening the tap.

What people forget is that diesel weights a lot.

500L of diesel is just less than 500kg of payload. Also if you stick a 500/1000L tank on one side then the unit is very heavy on that side and no battery box and air pumps are going to balance that out.

but dont forget that if you company buys desiel bulk and has a tank in the yard runnig out on the desiel from the yard can work out cheeper than using a fuel card ( this isnt always the case) . also it means the you dont have to fill up everyday .

i run 2x 400 ltr tanks on my 6x2 scania this mean that i only fill up twice a week most weeks. also if you yard in the middle of nowwhere as ours is then filling up onroute back at the weekend

What people forget is that diesel weights a lot

so thats why the 450 ltrs plus me puts the cab on a slight lean when looking at it from the front

450kgs + 100kgs = 1/2 a ton less payload. :open_mouth:

I have 300 litre tank on the nearside and a 500 litre tank on the offside of my Topliner, you have to fill the nearside one first as it is the one with the fuel pick up. I agree it is a pain to fill 2 tanks however the difference between the bulk price and the pump price means that we have to fill up at the base as often as possible, but with big tanks I have a minimum range of 1,500 miles so reducing the need to fill up at the pumps at almost a £1 a litre!
I agree it is down to speccing the truck correctly, the twin steer Scanias have smaller tanks, but I have seen them with bigger square tanks, so you pays your money and makes your choice!!!

I have two on mine. I am told that the little on on the N/S is 120 litres and the bigger one on the O/S is 300 litres.

But i just fill up when the guage gets under 1/8 full.

I fill up the side where the pump is first. While that tank is filling, I nip round the other side and take the cap off. When the first tank is full, I throw the nozzle over the catwalk and fill the other tank.

I’ve not had the tanks overflow, and I’ve not run out of fuel either.

I’m probably doing horrendous damage to the fuel system, but is seems to work for me!! :laughing:

I have to say that I really like my Scania now. Never had much time for them before, but I like them now. That top bunk in mine is just soooo comfy!! :smiley:

flying_fenman:
I have two on mine. I am told that the little on on the N/S is 120 litres and the bigger one on the O/S is 300 litres.

If you look on the top of the tank in the centre you will see the part number stamped into the metal, it will also say something like 300dm which is a 300 litre tank

Just some useless information for you :laughing: :laughing:

Discopete:
If you look on the top of the tank in the centre you will see the part number stamped into the metal, it will also say something like 300dm which is a 300 litre tank

Far from it mate!!

Thanks for that - I’ll have a look tomorrow!! :smiley:

flying_fenman:

Discopete:

Far from it mate!!

Thanks for that - I’ll have a look tomorrow!! :smiley:

Me too. :wink: :smiley:

Well, I would check but I’d have to lift the body off the top first. :laughing: