Scania diesel tanks

Mine is 300 litres on O/S and 200 litres on N/S.

Bigger than I thought. :smiley:

Cheers Pete. :wink:

flying_fenman:

Same here, I checked mine today also. :blush: :blush: :wink:

Coffeeholic:

flying_fenman:

They should do boys you drive the SAME HATEFULL TRUCKS!!

jimboy124:

Coffeeholic:

flying_fenman:

They should do boys you drive the SAME HATEFULL TRUCKS!!

So I wonder if FF has the same situation where the needle on the gauge is sitting right on the stop yet you can only get around 410 litres in? :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
So I wonder if FF has the same situation where the needle on the gauge is sitting right on the stop yet you can only get around 410 litres in? :wink: :smiley:

I wouldn’t know because I’ve never let it get that low.

When the needle is more than half way towards empty from the quarter full line, I fill up!! I could not take all the ■■■■ I would get if I ever ran out!! :laughing:

I think the most I’ve ever put in was about 380 litres.

Both of our trucks would therefore appear to err on the side of caution. :sunglasses:

flying_fenman:

Coffeeholic:

Neither do I but I have collected it from the car park in the morning when it has been allowed to get that low, on more than one occasion… :imp:

Coffeeholic:

flying_fenman:

Coffeeholic:

Neither do I but I have collected it from the car park in the morning when it has been allowed to get that low, on more than one occasion… :imp:

But obviously that just means an Agency driver had it last :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink:

montana man:

Coffeeholic:

flying_fenman:

Coffeeholic:

But obviously that just means an Agency driver had it last :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink:

I thought that went without saying. :wink: :smiley:

I have put 437 liters in once ! It felt like an age from Gent to Kruibeke!!

mikermhh:
I used to drive a scania with twin tanks that were linked by a connecting pipe which had a tap in it, I closed the tap so only used the fuel out of one tank which made refuelling easier. But could still use the second tank as a reserve if I needed to by opening the tap.

:laughing: We had two Ways to fit Connections Pipes
First were underneed a Pipe with Thumbthick in Diameter,were a Tap was fitted.
the other way was a small Pipe with 12mm in Diameter,without a Tap,as here was on the Site,the Engine pulled the Diesel out no Airhole in the Tanktop to get a Vaccum which pulled the Diesel from other Tank .
Reason is Safety,as by an Accident not all Diesel gets lost.That the Reason by the new System too.But you have the Choise to change it on Your Lorry

Sockpuppet:
What people forget is that diesel weights a lot.

500L of diesel is just less than 500kg of payload.

Minor nitpick here - diesel is about 85% the density of water, so 1000L would weigh 850KG.
So I would say 500L is just over 400KG.

Discopete:
You can have any tank you like on any side, its down to specing the truck right,

Scania has a standard set up but you can have what you like, as long as it fits in the gap,

Its not a case scania not being bothered to design a truck with the tank one side and everything else on the other, its down to the customer not being bothered to spec it correctly!

you can have what you want where you want you only have to ask!!! :laughing:

absolutely spot on pete, if those people that placed the orders had read the spec sheet properly then they would pick up on the standard supply details and change them accordingly.
for example the rear side window is a standard specification on scania’s and if you don’t want it then you have to delete it from the spec sheet, the window is a pain in the arse, most drivers have the curtains pulled across it or black it out or put graphics on it but you still end up with a window that lets light straight in to where you are sleeping yet scania fit it as standard as a safety factor.
some people don’t even look at the extra’s you can get for less than half price, a fridge is nearly £600 as an afterfit but if you spec it on production it’s only £250, the coffee maker and microwave add up to nearly £400 as an afterfit but you can have both in the kitchen package for just £150, when your buying a £70.000+ truck would it really hurt very much just to add a few hundred pounds worth of extra’s that will then add value to the resale of the truck?
as for the tanks, you fill the feeder tank first - this is the tank that supplies diesel to the engine and also has the sender guage on it, i assume that this is the reason that you fill this tank first - both tanks have valves underneath so you can close the additional tank off either by closing the feeder tank valve or the additional tank valve, the pipe which joins them together is about 5 mm diameter so the supply from one tank to the other might not be quick enough to allow the fuel to flow across if you fill the additional tank only then continue to drive the truck.
my assumptions only.

This is just my opinion! The Scania’s have the two tanks simply because it’s the easiest way to lay the chassis out. Batteries on the nearside means that less cable has to be used to reach the starter, alternator and to supply the cab electrics. All of which are on the nearside of the vehicle/engine/ cab floor. Air tanks are all nicely tucked out of the way also. And as people have already mentioned it makes for far better weight distribution.

The way it’s layed out also means that it’s far less cluttered under there which makes them far easier to work on than the likes of a Volvo or Daf.

The reason for having a sticker there asking you to fill the n/s tank first is due to the fact that the n/s tank has the diesel pick up in it. (99.9% of the time). If you’re filling both tanks then it makes no odds in which order they’re filled up. However, if you just want enough diesel to get you back to the yard where the cheaper diesel is, it needs to be put in the n/s tank as the diesel won’t flow quick enough from the o/s tank. Again having the pick up on the n/s means less pipe etc to get the diesel to the engine. Standard Scania tanks are 300 litres o/s and 200 litres n/s. Alot of the Classic models etc come with bigger, squarer tanks that are 400 litres each. I hope that’s all accurate, lol! :smiley:

There are lots of other reasons why 2 tanks would be fitted too.

If you had a single 1000 litre tank every driver would need an ADR. If you want to spec the truck for a tipping trailer or Silo you need room to fit wet kits or hydraulic tanks. You might need a cargo blower or compressor in the gap in the chassis.

We fit 700litre tanks down one side of the chassis for this reason. On the offside I have an electric pump, heat exchanger and a toolbox with electric controls and couplings in. I also have a hydraulic oil cooler so ther is no room for any more tank capacity

Wheel Nut:

If you had a single 1000 litre tank every driver would need an ADR.

Myth. The limit for fuel in normal running tanks on a vehicle is 1500 litres and there is no single tank limit of 1000 litres. Diesel Dave posted a whole thing about this very subject recently.

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

If you had a single 1000 litre tank every driver would need an ADR.

Myth. The limit for fuel in normal running tanks on a vehicle is 1500 litres and there is no single tank limit of 1000 litres. Diesel Dave posted a whole thing about this very subject recently.

I have read the post to 8 wheels and while not dissing Diesel Dave there is something in the brain cells that say that siingle tanks over 1000 litres were not allowed. I will read Daves post again and try to find the exemption for fixed fuel tanks.

It seems that 8 wheels is legal to carry 1000 litres of red diesel but if he goes over that he comes under ADR placarding and documentaion.

I will wait for a definitave answer :wink:

Wheel Nut:
I have read the post to 8 wheels

That wasn’t the post I meant, That was about carrying diesel as part of the load.

I meant THIS POST and the details are in Dave’s post about halfway down the page.

I see what you mean. A very comprehensive reply from yourself and Diesel Dave. I dont know how I missed that especially as I posted a reply to it :blush:

Im going outside to beat myself over the head with a wet fish :wink:

I dont mind being wrong, I just like to know that what Im told is correct.

Thanks Matchbox. an excellent question as already said