In a few weeks time I will be going to scotland by car
and plan to use this route unless someone suggest
a better route.

M18 Junction 1, A1 to Scotch Corner, A66, M6, A74,
M74, M73, A80, M80, M9, A9, A822, A826, B846,
Loch Tummel - (Post Code - PH16 5SA).

Is there any tolls on this route or anything to look out for
as someone told me there is a 50mph limit on the A66
even for cars as there is speed cameras.

Also looking for places to pull over to take stops. Is there
anywhere on the A66 as its got good views apparently.
Also fuel stations. I know morrisons have petrol stations
in fort william, inverness, alness. Is there plenty of petrol
stations and whats the prices like.

My mother is looking for shops is inverness or fort william
any good for shops.

route looks alright to me, no tolls, 40 limit through all the road works on the a66 but no real bother and no static cameras but go steady through the first set of works as theres been a copper parked up most days ready to catch the careless! cafe on top of bowes is the business, that’ll be on the right as you go but if i was going in a car (no tacho) i’d head for europa truckstop j10 m74.

Be careful, as far as I’m aware, its gravel tracks only, north of Carlise! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That looks like a reasonable route to me Convoy.

As far as I know, there are no tolls on it.

The single lane sections of the A66 are all 60mph, except for those sections with a lower posted limit. There are roadworks at both the A1 end and the M6 end, both with 40mph limits posted on them. Near Crackenthorpe there was some subsidence several years ago. A chicane was built there not long after that which is still there, that also has a 40 limit on it.

On the very top of Stainmore off the East bound carriageway there is a café, you shouldn’t be able to miss seeing it West bound as it stands out so clearly. Unless its foggy of course. They have just re-opened the newly done up old café, which was closed for years (over 10). Its a proper, sit down café, not a fancied up caravan. Don’t take a car into the lorry park at the back, a lot of the potholes are deep enough to flood your engine.

Inverness is a small but major city, it has all the shops that you might want, probably more that enough :laughing: . Fort William is also well stocked up with shops.
I should to point out that shopping isn’t one of my favoured pass-times, so you may want a second (better qualified) opinion :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Tramper:
Be careful, as far as I’m aware, its gravel tracks only, north of Carlisle! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Flamin’ cheek, it was a Scot who invented (?) tar, a Mr. Macadam :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replys and helpfull infomation :smiley:

Your’e welcome :laughing:

Tramper:
Be careful, as far as I’m aware, its gravel tracks only, north of Carlise! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And Colin Mcrae is his new Car testing

If you’re doing missionary work north of the border, don’t forget your bible cos they’re all Celt heathens up there :wink: :laughing:

penfold:
don’t forget your bible

and translator or heathen-english dictionary :wink:

Take lots of Mars bars with you and if you encounter any trouble just scatter some around then they grab them up and rush off home to deep fry them thus allowing you to escape. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

convoy:
In a few weeks time I will be going to scotland by car
and plan to use this route unless someone suggest
a better route.

M18 Junction 1,
you going via the stockyard mate ?
(junc 2 for the a1 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

and another thing
not one of you muppets noticed it and took the wee wee
things are slipping round ere :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But if you are starting from Rotherham you would use J1 if you live near it. otherwise he would have put A630 - A1 :smiley:

And as you come back south,don’t forget to close the gate,to stop those sweaty sock fellows from getting in.

And most importantly…

DON’T FORGET YOUR PASSPORT.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Simon:
That looks like a reasonable route to me Convoy.:

Agreed.

On the very top of Stainmore off the East bound carriageway there is a café, you shouldn’t be able to miss seeing it West bound as it stands out so clearly. Unless its foggy of course. They have just re-opened the newly done up old café, which was closed for years (over 10). Its a proper, sit down café, not a fancied up caravan.

Is that for real Simon, the original building, not just the fuel pump office? Good news indeed especially if they re-instate the open fire which warmed the cockles of many a driver taking refuge from a heatless cab over many decades. :laughing:

Don’t take a car into the lorry park at the back, a lot of the potholes are deep enough to flood your engine.

Good advice, I used to take my wagon right down the back (slowly) for the peace and quiet, but it took some time shunting around to get all the wheels on the high bits for a nice level night’s sleep. :unamused: :laughing:

Spardo:

Simon:
That looks like a reasonable route to me Convoy.:

Agreed.

On the very top of Stainmore off the East bound carriageway there is a café, you shouldn’t be able to miss seeing it West bound as it stands out so clearly. Unless its foggy of course. They have just re-opened the newly done up old café, which was closed for years (over 10). Its a proper, sit down café, not a fancied up caravan.

Is that for real Simon, the original building, not just the fuel pump office? Good news indeed especially if they re-instate the open fire which warmed the cockles of many a driver taking refuge from a heatless cab over many decades. :laughing:

Don’t take a car into the lorry park at the back, a lot of the potholes are deep enough to flood your engine.

Good advice, I used to take my wagon right down the back (slowly) for the peace and quiet, but it took some time shunting around to get all the wheels on the high bits for a nice level night’s sleep. :unamused: :laughing:

Its a bleak old place up there though. Even in summer its bleak.

I was a soft trucker and took shelter a little further down the hill in the Punch Bowl :stuck_out_tongue: Now sadly closed too

Simon:
Flamin’ cheek, it was a Scot who invented (?) tar,

and tyres (thank you Mr Dunlop) :laughing:

scanny77:

Simon:

So they invented tyres and roads basically :astonished: :astonished:

Perhaps they were thinking of ever quicker ways to Get out of Scotland

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

montana man:

scanny77:

Simon:

So they invented tyres and roads basically :astonished: :astonished:

Perhaps they were thinking of ever quicker ways to Get out of Scotland

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Actually we give them to you sassenachs to speed your journey out of our country so we can be left in peace. :laughing:

That Hadrian had the right idea :stuck_out_tongue: