Recommended hauliers to work for in devon

Hi guys I’ve recently moved to Devon and am looking at changing jobs as I’m still commuting North to my current one, any suggestions on who’s best to work for… I’ve looked into

Heaver brothers

M way and sons

William c hockin

Parsons

I know there’s a few more but any helpful steers info and hints would be great

Thanks guys

Gregorys, Kays, Fergusons, Kedwells is Somerset but no far from your neck of the woods, did work for Kays on the Range contract & i believe our terms of contract was betta than the other drivers, but then again that was over 2 years ago, cant think of any other companys at the mo.

Evans Transport have a yard in Barnstaple I beleive, not sure if there is an office there though!!

Gregory’s are huge and in Cullompton.

A mates on for M way and he loves it.

Whereabouts in Devon?
Can make quite a difference.

I hear different things about Heaver Bros…Mostly bad, but I wouldn’t take that as gospel. My buddy works for Evans at Exeter and he loves it.

Claretmac:
Evans Transport have a yard in Barnstaple I beleive, not sure if there is an office there though!!

Their main office is in Barnstaple. They also run out of Exeter (Or did when I was there a few years back)

Where abouts in devon?

Semtex:

Claretmac:

Their main office is in Barnstaple. They also run out of Exeter (Or did when I was there a few years back)

They still do, based up at peamore truck centre. (frank tuckers)

As already said can depend on where abouts in Devon you are. And also what type of work are you after?

Semtex:

Claretmac:

Bideford, the barnstaple yard is rumoured to be a morrisons site

Vital pet foods at North Tawton, those yellow lorries.

bigvern1:
I hear different things about Heaver Bros…Mostly bad, but I wouldn’t take that as gospel.

Go back a decade or so to when they were still called Maddern and you’d have heard much worse!

I’m in south Devon torquay but travelling a bit doesn’t bother me , so the general advise is avoid Heaver bros then?

You could try Quayside I’m pretty sure they run from your neck of the woods somewhere.

Didn’t know heavers used to be Madderns…

They were baaaaaaaadd.
Used to work next door to their Sowton yard. So heard all the stories…

Driver recruitment day, Gregory North Tawton depot, April 18th
gdl.uk.com/careers/
To be honest, looks like they are desperate for drivers, pretty much any depot.

I reckon the milk tanker work at Gregory’s could be good fun!

J_K:
Didn’t know heavers used to be Madderns…

They were baaaaaaaadd.
Used to work next door to their Sowton yard. So heard all the stories…

You should take “all the stories” with a pinch of salt.

They were very much a Marmite company to work for, you either loved working there, or hated it, it all depended on whether your face fitted.
If you fitted in then the pay was ok, they never asked or expected you to break the hours rules, and you had one of the most relaxing jobs going.
If you didn’t fit then you’d be given every rubbish load and rubbish truck. you’d basically be pushed until you’d had enough and quit.

They had a hell of a reputation back then of having a very relaxed attitude to maintenance, which to be fair, was deserved to quite an extent, but that was partly down to drivers not bothering to report defects, I can honestly say that any defects I found and reported were fixed there and the and I never took an unsafe unit or trailer up the road in all the years I worked there.

I worked there thought the 90’s, and some of the long serving drivers then still work for them now! I left a few times because I thought the grass was greener elsewhere, more money, better trucks etc, but in the end, Madderns turned out to actually be the better job on balance and I went back.
I wouldn’t hesitste to go and ask them for a job now if I needed one.

AVOID Gregorys and (Kays which is part of gregorys) they go through drivers like Epson salt.

happysillyme:
I reckon the milk tanker work at Gregory’s could be good fun!

It’s not