Rear steer trailers

I’m struggling to get to grips with these at mo I’m used to triple axles but these are throwing me a bit especially blindsiding ,when I look at that wheel jutting out and then my cab position against it ,it brains me. Gonna take som getting used to,any pointers ■■? Top tips etc

Rear steers are an aquired taste ours are 33ft,first few months kept over steering so the trailer bent too much,trick I found don’t steer as much steer it let it run then adjust it if you try and steer all in 1 it will kick round too quick.
Once your used to it will go into silly places.

As stated above turn your wheel very slowly when reversing,I’ve used then for nigh on 9 years now and they do take a bit of getting used to but once you’ve cracked it they are great,you wil over steer everytime you reverse tip you get used to them,try just doing a half turn of your steering wheel look where it going then another half turn ect ect.
Try and think of it as the back of the trailer is virtually the same as the front wheels on your unit you wouldn’t turn your steering wheel 2 or 3 complete turns to get forwards around a 90 degree turn would you.

Have you been to Oakthorpe yet?

Tried a 33 ft one a few weeks ago ,I had thought it best to treat it as a tandem and forget the bit past the first 2 axles ,it moved very quick .

the nodding donkey:
Have you been to Oakthorpe yet?

no longer do it all loads are off at hat pev its changed for the better apparently with gregorys quite easy really apart from the learning curve and these rear steers lol taking over 500 this week for doing sod all to be honest , one farm today and a mot pick up from scanias to pass the time :exclamation:

Dodgy leg with the co- … That’s where it all began :grimacing:

Not wanting to state the obvious, but make sure that there isn’t a button on the trailer chassis, normally near the brake/shunt buttons, that blocks the rear steer axle. Drive forward to where you want to reverse, I presume that you are going onto a loading bay, push/pull (can’t remember which) the said button, this will lock the steerer and you can reverse as normal

mozzy666:
Dodgy leg with the co- … That’s where it all began :grimacing:

english WTF :question: :question: :question: :question:

pierrot 14:
Not wanting to state the obvious, but make sure that there isn’t a button on the trailer chassis, normally near the brake/shunt buttons, that blocks the rear steer axle. Drive forward to where you want to reverse, I presume that you are going onto a loading bay, push/pull (can’t remember which) the said button, this will lock the steerer and you can reverse as normal

NOT LOCKABLE i asked that question .i got one tomorrow blindside around a small farm building from a sloping start with cars parked on goodside ,get it wrong trailer points at wall and its ■■■■■■■ hard to correct LEARNING CURVE literally :unamused:

pierrot 14:

loading bay I WISH lol

pierrot 14:

The lock switch on the one I had was in the cab.

That’s a shame not having the blocking button, i’ve driven both, so all I can advise is, as others have already stated, take your time, small movements on the steering wheel, even shunt forward a few times to straighten up a bit, if room permits and if you’re not sure, get out and have a look. And remember when pulling out at the end of the unloading and its tight, remember about the out-swing that the steerer will give.

raymundo:

pierrot 14:

The lock switch on the one I had was in the cab.

Never seen one of those Ray

I have run rear steer axle trailers for the last ten years or so. The axle locks when reverse is selected, or you can lock it with a manual switch on the chassis.

I could not imagine having to reverse it without it locked in! Are you guys sure they are supposed to be operated like that? In my experience, when the axle does not lock in when reversing, the wheels just slew to one side and are pushed along. Which does not do the tyres much good…and the fricken trailer is evertwhere! :open_mouth:

Those trailers at Hat Pev were always fully live rear steer. I was there around 15 yrs ago, when Turners ran the tankers. IIRC, the front trl axle was a manual lift and the middle was auto lift. Probably all auto lift now.
As already said, small wheel movement can get the trl shooting round. A week or 2 and you’ll be well used to it. Do they still spec the units with the rear window?

The one I had was when I was on for Richard Long, you had to remember to lock the axle when it was in the straight ahead position other wise it wouldn’t lock in and just slew round when you went back, could be embarrassing if you forgot to and the front of the cab was near an obstruction of any sort :blush:

You can’t lock ours off,permanent rear steer.

This has me puddled now! If I engage reverse gear on rough ground…there is a chance the axle won’t lock…or as Ray has already said, if unit and trailer are not aligned, then the same thing happens. So if you try to reverse, it is like being in control of a supermarket trolley with a dodgy wheel. Something does not add up here. Do the trailers have dampers on the steer-axles or something?

spooky70:
Those trailers at Hat Pev were always fully live rear steer. I was there around 15 yrs ago, when Turners ran the tankers. IIRC, the front trl axle was a manual lift and the middle was auto lift. Probably all auto lift now.
As already said, small wheel movement can get the trl shooting round. A week or 2 and you’ll be well used to it. Do they still spec the units with the rear window?

Yes