Rear steer trailers

Janos:
This has me puddled now! If I engage reverse gear on rough ground…there is a chance the axle won’t lock…or as Ray has already said, if unit and trailer are not aligned, then the same thing happens. So if you try to reverse, it is like being in control of a supermarket trolley with a dodgy wheel. Something does not add up here. Do the trailers have dampers on the steer-axles or something?

It wont add up as there are a few types of rear steer, yours is the type that works going forwards (the cheapest type) which should lock for reversing, and as pointed out this can cause problems as the bit that locks is a pin that locates in a slot on the rear axle when in a straight line position
I think the o/p is talking about an Active rear steer system where the rear axle steers in both forward and backward directions, this type of system is often found on trailers that do tight access work or the newer longer type of trailer, by both design and physics this type is unable to be locked and requires the driver to get used to it!
I’ve added a pic so you can see the rear axle is on a turntable, so is the rubbing plate and king pin both connected together by a long rod (some systems use hydraulics) hope this helps

Christ. The rear stear on a milk tanker is there for a reason. It won’t lock in reverse… (Bangs head)

You either learn how to reverse a steering rear axle, or go back to tosco…

Thanks Moose. That does explain it. Now that you mention it, I think mine is technically a ‘tracking axle’ when compared to your example.
What is the correct reversing technique with these actively steered trailers then?

Same as normal but they’ll turn quicker.

Conor:
Same as normal but they’ll turn quicker.

So not the same then…

What you have to remember with an active steered rear axle on a triple axle trailer is that the trailer will pivot exactly as a tandem would if the rear steer wasn’t there, it will pivot at a point mid way between the two fixed axles, for turning purposes you could actually forget about the steer axle completely.
Great that they can turn so fast but if you pace the distance from the mid point between the two front fixed axles to the r send, that’s your true pivoted overhang, thats the downside.

the nodding donkey:
Christ. The rear stear on a milk tanker is there for a reason. It won’t lock in reverse… (Bangs head)

You either learn how to reverse a steering rear axle, or go back to tosco…

Which is where I learned to drive them :laughing:

Ours are 2 axle live steers take getting used to but the same with all trailers.dont try and cut it too fine when reversing round something you will be surprised how quick the gap between the trailer and the wall dissappear.
Slowly slowly catchy monkey on the steering turn it like a fixed axle and it will bite.

Done it perfect today slow and small. Done a get out and look as cars parked in farm near milk shed ,was just right so pushed it back and on the vat I was . Even the 4 ft wild pig gave me a snort ,when he came trundling past .

I may not be the best qualified to comment as almost all my experience with trailers has been with our 10m 2-axle jobs (with “permanent” rear-steer - no locking possible). However, I will say that yes, they do come round very quickly and it is very, very easy to get “too much bend” if you use big steering inputs. The flip-side being that it only takes a very short shunt to straighten things out nicely.

I had a rear steer tank for 12months. With reversing what helps me is to get it straight at possible as soon as possible. Chuck it round quick and straighten up. Try it and see;) They do swing out a little so you may think you are over steering but do it quick and straighten up a bit before you are used to and you’ll see it swing round then it should be a case of keeping it straight.