Quick question about motorbike licence category

I have category A on my licence, I’m pretty sure I do but I’ll ask anyway, do I still need to take a CBT test to ride a 125cc moped?

If you have a full cat A license, then no, you don’t need a CBT.

A CBT only validates your provisional motorbike entitlement

Eh? If you have Cat A then you had to pass a full motorcycle test and you should know that you can ride anything.
I did my CBT in 1995 when I was 16 and passed my Cat A in 1997 when I was 18 which means I can ride any motorcycle.

On my paper part it has Cat A provisional entitlement but on my photocard next to the A category there is a valid “from and to” date.

I also have the provisional D entitlement on the counterpart, but on my photocard is doesn’t have a valid from and to date. The same was with my LGV categories, they only got a valid “from and to” date when I passed the relevant tests. Yet with the Category A it has the provisional entitlement on the counterpart but a valid from and to date on the counterpart?

I’ll try and get a picture up.

Not sure if you’ll be able to see that on a mobile device, may have to save the image and then look at it through your relevant photo viewer.

If you haven’t got A on the front of your photocard then you only have a provisional bike licence, and as mentioned above if you haven’t taken a bike test then you haven’t got a bike licence and will need a CBT for a 125.
I’m not sure about the valid from date on the back, it may be to do with the new style licences.

I have the A category on the front of my photocard. Is it possible it’s a mistake and they put the A category on by mistake? No I’ve never taken a bike test of any description.

My mates wife sent her licence for change of address that came back
With cat a aswell! Pity she hates bikes

Tarrman:

I see.

You only have provisional entitlement to ride a motorbike. So yes, you need a CBT certificate to ride your 125cc bike.

Your license is not valid until you have your CBT. I did a week long course before all this direct access stuff came out but from what I understand, if you have a car license are are over a certain age (21 I think) then you can take your test on a bike over 47bhp (500cc) and then you can ride whatever you like. If you’re under 21 or not a car driver you take your test on a 125cc and then you are restricted to a bike no more than 33bhp for 2 years.

Hope this helps.

All I can say is well done you have the category for free!
However it is clearly a mistake so it’s up to you if you want to tell the DVLA about it, you know you should really.
I hope you don’t jump on a 1000cc bike without taking some lessons!
If you’ve not ridden before then doing at least a CBT will be a good idea.

It has restriction code “79 (tri)” which means:

“79 - restricted to vehicles in conformity with the specifications stated in brackets on your licence”

Which I presume to be tricycles. Yet restriction code 125 is “for tricycles only”.

I’m confused.

1968kg:
All I can say is well done you have the category for free!
However it is clearly a mistake so it’s up to you if you want to tell the DVLA about it, you know you should really.
I hope you don’t jump on a 1000cc bike without taking some lessons!
If you’ve not ridden before then doing at least a CBT will be a good idea.

Not a chance lol most I’ve ridden is a 250cc quad with a semi auto gearbox. That was enough lol.

gov.uk/changes-to-the-drivi … categories

It looks as if you have the licence to ride a tricycle and provisional moped licence but you’d need to pass a CBT. The link shows the new licence style and you’re a recent Class 1 pass aren’t you?

MikeCunn:
Changes to the driving licence and categories - GOV.UK

It looks as if you have the licence to ride a tricycle and provisional moped licence but you’d need to pass a CBT. The link shows the new licence style and you’re a recent Class 1 pass aren’t you?

Yes I passed last week.

Tarrman:

That restriction code 79(tri) means your Group A entitlement is for tricycles only. You do not have a full motorcycle licence.

Your license is not valid until you have your CBT. I did a week long course before all this direct access stuff came out but from what I understand, if you have a car license are are over a certain age (21 I think) then you can take your test on a bike over 47bhp (500cc) and then you can ride whatever you like. If you’re under 21 or not a car driver you take your test on a 125cc and then you are restricted to a bike no more than 33bhp for 2 years.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]
This is completely wrong, being a car driver is irrelevent and the rules and ages changed in Jan anyway.

Congratulations! You’re only down the road from me as well, I live in Hindley.
Anyway, as you’ve not long got your licence back, it’ll be the new style.

I think I’ve sussed it out.
Category B1 used to cover quads and trikes up to certain weight limits etc etc and you get B1 when you pass a car test (B) some older licences give B1 for passing a bike test, remember when you could drive a Reliant with reverse gear blanked off?
Anyway when DVLA change categories around as a general rule you don’t lose entitlements, so as B1 only covers quads now and not trikes it explains why you have A with the 79 tri code on it.
Anyone passing their car test since 19/1/13 won’t have it and anyone who already has a bike licence won’t see it either.
I think that all makes sense and thanks for bringing it up it may save me some embarassment at work in the future as I instruct bikes.

And there’s me thinking I had a free motorbike category :blush:

Glad the mystery is solved lol