Quick question about motorbike licence category

I notice you have a GH as well, but its not even in the category part of the plastic licence, would be interesting to know what it means, i am positive someone on here will enlighten me :laughing:

G is a road Roller and H is tracked vehicles. Not sure why they are together like that though.
It would probably appear next to fkpq.

G is road roller and H is tracked vehicle.

Edit Too slow!

truckyboy:
I notice you have a GH as well,

Your licence should too as for some reason you get them on your provisional counterpart without request, which is strange as very few people take the test.

Would anyone have a similar licence to mine. I have full A category licence, not the 79(tri) restricted one. Now on my licence they have not given me the sub categories A1 and A2. Obviously I can ride any bike but why don’t I have these sub categories as you would get with the C/C1 and D/D1 categories. Is anyone else the same.

Yes, my categories are shown below.
I have C1 and D1 and they will still show when I pass C because they have different expiry dates.
All A categories last the same time, that’s how I see it anyway.

dmt1977:
Obviously I can ride any bike but why don’t I have these sub categories as you would get with the C/C1 and D/D1 categories. Is anyone else the same.

Basically, because A covers A1 and A2 so it would be pointless duplication.

MikeCunn:
Changes to the driving licence and categories - GOV.UK

It looks as if you have the licence to ride a tricycle and provisional moped licence but you’d need to pass a CBT. The link shows the new licence style and you’re a recent Class 1 pass aren’t you?

Not quite, moped doesn’t require a CBT, only between 50cc and 124cc require a CBT.

He has a full moped licence (like most who passed their full car test before a few years ago - 2007■■? ) and the other Cat A with code 79(tri) is a trike over 15kw

The 01 is for glasses / contacts.

dmt1977:
Would anyone have a similar licence to mine. I have full A category licence, not the 79(tri) restricted one. Now on my licence they have not given me the sub categories A1 and A2. Obviously I can ride any bike but why don’t I have these sub categories as you would get with the C/C1 and D/D1 categories. Is anyone else the same.

When I passed my car test, I couldn’t drive a 7.5t vehicle, and according to my licence, I still can’t, but can drive a C+E :unamused:

Mates who had the 7.5t on their licence before passing their C+E have still got a 7.5t category on theirs, so it’s not a duplicate issue.

waynedl:

MikeCunn:
Changes to the driving licence and categories - GOV.UK

It looks as if you have the licence to ride a tricycle and provisional moped licence but you’d need to pass a CBT. The link shows the new licence style and you’re a recent Class 1 pass aren’t you?

Not quite, moped doesn’t require a CBT, only between 50cc and 124cc require a CBT.

He has a full moped licence (like most who passed their full car test before a few years ago - 2007■■? ) and the other Cat A with code 79(tri) is a trike over 15kw

The 01 is for glasses / contacts.

Not quite indeed, you need a CBT for mopeds unless you passed your car test before Feb 1 2001, if you passed after that date your CBT lasts for the life of the licence for Mopeds instead of just 2 years for up to 125. (Provisional licence holders need a CBT of course)

I don’t really see the logic, dvla will not give you A1 and A2 as with a full A you can obviously ride any bike. Exactly the same can be said for C1 and D1. If you have full C and full D obviously you can drive the sub categories which is why they give you the sub categories in the upgrade. Anyone know the logic in that?

Just got my license back after updating entitlements and I have this full cat A with “79 (tri)” restriction too.

Does that mean, i could go out and get myself a bad ■■■ trike without doing any form of CBT !?!

This and the Auto → manual upgrades really makes me wonder what drugs the DSA/DVLA are taking :laughing:

I’ve never really considered a trike before (bikes, yes - was going to do the direct access course), however… :

:laughing:

Yes, a pre- Jan 2013 car licence allows you to ride any trike.

1968kg:
I think I’ve sussed it out…
Anyway when DVLA change categories around as a general rule you don’t lose entitlements, so as B1 only covers quads now and not trikes it explains why you have A with the 79 tri code on it.

Give that man a coconut.

It’s buried in the detail of the 3DLD (Third Driving Licence Directive) as a sort of UK workaround to the old B1 tricycle/quadricycle thing. (Also why there is a AM moped, as well as a national code P as they aren’t quite the interchangeable.)

1968kg:

Mine doesn’t.

mrpj:

1968kg:

Mine doesn’t.

If you haven’t changed your licence since Jan 19 th 2013 then it is covered by the old B1 category, as and when you change your licence it will come back with A(79tri)
Your entitlements haven’t changed, just the way they are described on the licence.
This is actually a step in the right direction by DVLA as new car licence holders won’t get trikes automatically anymore.

Chris1207:
Just got my license back after updating entitlements and I have this full cat A with “79 (tri)” restriction too.

Does that mean, i could go out and get myself a bad ■■■ trike without doing any form of CBT !?!

This and the Auto → manual upgrades really makes me wonder what drugs the DSA/DVLA are taking :laughing:

I’ve never really considered a trike before (bikes, yes - was going to do the direct access course), however… :

:laughing:

You’re welcome to the ■■■■ things. The only 3-wheelers I’d ever consider are of the Morgan/Berkeley format with 2 wheels at the front. Not necessarily with a steering wheel either, these look fun;

Trikes like the ones in your pic are strictly for those who are too ■■■■■ or inept to pass a motorcycle test, or whose wives are too fat to make pillion on a 2-wheeler viable. :wink:

Friend of mine bought one of those can am things.it has the engine from a mille, and the brakes keep failing

Tarrman:
I have category A on my licence, I’m pretty sure I do but I’ll ask anyway, do I still need to take a CBT test to ride a 125cc moped?

as far as i am aware you can ride any size bike on a category a i took my test in 96 before the new laws came in so it entitles me on an A category to ride over 1,000 cc,but thats me i cannot say if this has changed since the new laws came in

truckman20:

Tarrman:
I have category A on my licence, I’m pretty sure I do but I’ll ask anyway, do I still need to take a CBT test to ride a 125cc moped?

as far as i am aware you can ride any size bike on a category a i took my test in 96 before the new laws came in so it entitles me on an A category to ride over 1,000 cc,but thats me i cannot say if this has changed since the new laws came in

Have you actually read all this thread?