Question for Del

CALUM:
ok coffeeholic thanks for that,did not know a driver can stick with aetr rules for whole journey if only transitting an aetr country-will have to remember that if transitting switzerland going to/from italy in the future.

Hi CALUM, it’s not so much that “a driver can stick with AETR rules,” it’s that a driver MUST stick with AETR rules.

The European Agreement Concerning the Work of Crews of Vehicles Engaged in International Road Transport (AETR) exclusively covers:

Other countries covered by the agreement fall under the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA).

The AETR rules apply for the whole of any journey that passes through or ends in a country covered by the agreement. This includes any EU countries passed through while travelling.

• Albania
  • Andorra
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Croatia
  • Kazakhstan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Macedonia
  • Moldova
  • Russia
  • Serbia and Montenegro
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan

Other countries covered by the agreement fall under the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA).

The source of the above quote plus other info and a link to a map can be found :arrow_right: HERE

CALUM:
ok coffeeholic thanks for that,did not know a driver can stick with aetr rules for whole journey if only transitting an aetr country-will have to remember that if transitting switzerland going to/from italy in the future.

I should have taken my own advice and read the regulations. While I was away this week I remembered something in the regs and have just checked to see if I remembered correctly, I did.

From the EU tacho rules.

This Regulation should apply to carriage by road
undertaken either exclusively within the Community or
between the Community, Switzerland and the countries
party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area.

(8) The European Agreement concerning the Work of Crews
of Vehicles engaged in International Road Transport of
1 July 1970 (the AETR), as amended, should continue to
apply to the carriage by road of goods and passengers by
vehicles registered in any Member State or any country
which is a contracting party to the AETR, for the whole
of the journey where that journey is between the
Community and a third country other than Switzerland
and the countries which are contracting parties to the
Agreement on the European Economic Area or through
such a country. It is essential to modify the AETR as soon
as possible, ideally within two years of the entry into
force of this Regulation, in order to align its provisions
with this Regulation.

That confirms you stick to EU rules when doing, or transiting, Switzerland. AETR rules do not apply in that case.