Question for Del

… and anyone else who fancies a go.

delboytwo:
also isn’t it time someone poses me a question to see if i have learned anything :wink:

Okay, here goes.

A driver begins work in Manchester at 06:00 on Monday after a full weekly rest. He collects a full load for Zagreb and sets of for the train. On his way down the M1 he stops at Newport Pagnall for a break and a coffee, he gets chatting to another driver and has a 25-minute break. later he pulls of the M25 into the truck stop at junction 26 for another coffee and a bacon sandwich. He has a 20 minute break here. He arrives at the terminal having done 6.5 hours driving so far today. He catches a train and once off the other side he pushes on, He stops for fuel and a cooffe then does a bit more, finally parking for the day at 20:50. Total driving time for the day 9 hours 55 minutes.

Tuesday he starts at 06:00 and after his daily checks hits the road at 06:15, At 8’oclock he takes an hours break for a shower and breakfast before pushing on. At 13:30 he stops for another break and takes a nap, he falls into a deep sleep and wakes up again at 16:45. “Bugger it,” he thinks, “I over did it,” and he quickly gets under way again. He drives until 20:00 and parks for the night.

Wednesday he is on the road again at 04:15, after the usual 15 minutes of walk round checks. He drives until 08:20 when he reaches the Austrian border. It’s a public holiday in Austria today so he is done for the day.

Thursday he starts work at 08:30 and works until 22:00, 9 hours 10 minutes driving today with 2 hours of breaks in total.

Friday he works from 06:30 until 20:20, lots of other work today so only 8 hours driving and 1 hour of breaks.

Saturday he works from 08:00 until 16:00 and is then week ended as he waits to collect his reload on Monday morning. 45 minutes of break.

Based on the information given*** how many infringements of the tacho regulations will he have when that weeks tacho data is analysed and what will they be?

Note all start and finish times are UK time.

*** That means just the info given, don’t worry about what might or might not have been done but isn’t mentioned ROG. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

monday

first the driver as only had 15 mins break for the first 6.5 hours of driving

reasons are the 25 Mins is OK but can only count 15 mins the next 20 break was not enough to fore fill is required break of 30 mins for the first 4.5 hours driving

also did not say weather he did his checks on Monday morning

not knowing how long the train took can not work out rest of hours

but as the driver as already failed to take the proper breaks the rest of the day is all wrong and therefore all timings would be wrong

next day Tues

as taken all breaks for that day but only as 8 hours daily rest

next day Wed

would have have started to early so the rest of that is wrong even though he only drove 4.05 hours

next day Thurs

he as already had 2,10 hour drives could not do this one and not enough rest

next day Friday

start to early

next day Sat

if he work for all that time and no driving done there be a 30 break required before 16.00 hours for WTD

One infringement,

insufficient rest 8h30 twixt Thurs 2200 until 06.30 Friday

:neutral_face:

delboytwo:
monday

first the driver as only had 15 mins break for the first 6.5 hours of driving

reasons are the 25 Mins is OK but can only count 15 mins the next 20 break was not enough to fore fill is required break of 30 mins for the first 4.5 hours driving

That’s not one of the infringements. You missed something and need to look at the question again

delboytwo:
also did not say weather he did his checks on Monday morning

See the note to ROG, if it isn’t mentioned don’t worry.

delboytwo:
next day Tues

as taken all breaks for that day but only as 8 hours daily rest

That’s not one of the infringements, you need to take another look.

delboytwo:
next day Wed

would have have started to early so the rest of that is wrong even though he only drove 4.05 hours

Not sure what you mean by he started too early, unless you mean it is connected to yesterdays ‘infringement.’ He was okay to start when he did and no breaks where required for that day so it’s a good un.

delboytwo:
next day Thurs

he as already had 2,10 hour drives could not do this one

BINGO!!! That’s one, well spotted. :smiley:

delboytwo:
and not enough rest

That’s another one!! He shouldn’t have started work until 07:00 at the earliest

delboytwo:
next day Friday

start to early

That’s the same infringement as the previous one, insufficient daily rest, so isn’t a new one

delboytwo:
next day Sat

if he work for all that time and no driving done there be a 30 break required before 16.00 hours for WTD

Same note as above applies, but I edited it and stuck in a break so forget that one.

You found too many infringements, I hope you aren’t analysing the records. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
One infringement,

insufficient rest 8h30 twixt Thurs 2200 until 06.30 Friday

:neutral_face:

Correct. :smiley: :smiley: You haven’t found them all though. :cry: :cry:

Asuming all the breaks were legally timed on the days where not specifically stated

driving breaks on monday illegal
3 periods of driving over 9 hours
tue finish to wed start & thu finish to fri start - less than 9 hours

ROG:
Asuming all the breaks were legally timed on the days where not specifically stated

They were, as the wee note to you pointed out. :wink:

ROG:
driving breaks on monday illegal

Wrong, you missed something and need to look at it again

ROG:
3 periods of driving over 9 hour

CORRECT!

ROG:

Half correct! Only the second one of them is an infringement.

You correctly spotted two infringements but also incorrectly gave the driver infringements for offences he didn’t commit. You’re not working for the same tacho analysis people as Del are you? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Mondays would be not taking a 30 min break as required only took 20 mins for the second break

Tues got me, it look OK if i don’t class the short daily rest

delboytwo:
Mondays would be not taking a 30 min break as required only took 20 mins for the second break

That wasn’t an infringement, you’re still missing something. All the information you need is in the question.

delboytwo:
Tues got me, it look OK if i don’t class the short daily rest

It is OK! The same thing you missed for Monday also applies here.

That’s a major clue right there!! :wink: :sunglasses:

Doesn’t the 24 hours at the Austrian border count as weekly rest? If not he cannot do 3 extended driving periods. namely, 9.55, 9.30, 9.10

I counted the 24hrs at the border as wiping the slate clean and making a new week :open_mouth: ala quiz 1

So the other infringement would be drove over 9 hours, 3 times.

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

Tuesday … He drives until 20:00 and parks for the night.
Wednesday he is on the road again at 04:15, after the usual 15 minutes of walk round checks.

tue 2000 to wed 0400 is 8 hours

ROG:

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

Tuesday … He drives until 20:00 and parks for the night.
Wednesday he is on the road again at 04:15, after the usual 15 minutes of walk round checks.

tue 2000 to wed 0400 is 8 hours

Indeed it is. However, it isn’t an infringement. You are missing the same thing as Del, which is causing you both to make an incorrect assumption.

Still instead of adding stuff as usual in you are now ignoring something, I can’t decide if that is progress or not. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Doesn’t the 24 hours at the Austrian border count as weekly rest? If not he cannot do 3 extended driving periods. namely, 9.55, 9.30, 9.10

I counted the 24hrs at the border as wiping the slate clean and making a new week :open_mouth: ala quiz 1
A weekly rest does not wipe the slate clean on extended driving days, you can only do two between 00:00 Monday and 24:00 Sunday

So the other infringement would be drove over 9 hours, 3 times.

A weekly rest does not wipe the slate clean on extended driving days, you can only do two between 00:00 Monday and 24:00 Sunday, so you are correct. You have found both the infringements. Now stop there before you head down the same road as Del and ROG.

Coffeeholic:
Indeed it is. However, it isn’t an infringement. You are missing the same thing as Del, which is causing you both to make an incorrect assumption.

I’ve seen the 3 hours that could be used as split rest but that would still require 9 hours off so it cannot be that… hmmmm… another look needed… :confused:

Austria - is that in the EU :question: - YUP it’s on the list so not AETR regs

is it not changing the mode switch for boarding the train

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

I’ve seen the 3 hours that could be used as split rest but that would still require 9 hours off so it cannot be that… hmmmm… another look needed… :confused:

Austria - is that in the EU :question:

Yes, Austria is in the EU

i will admit its got me stumped i think i am over thinking, answer please

delboytwo:
is it not changing the mode switch for boarding the train

It wasn’t mentioned but he did take a break on the train. The crossing is long enough to get a 45-minute break in Del. Anyway, the train crossing would have no bearing on the so called infringement on Tuesday though.

delboytwo:
i will admit its got me stumped i think i am over thinking, answer please

The solution is really easy you see,
if you look for a clue in the letter Zee.

Oh hell, I used an Americanism, I can hear tops being blown. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

not enough split rest Tues