Professional Drivers....

…That is what the heading states.
They are becoming rare nowadays, perhaps and endangered species, who knows, it maybe that my observations are incorrect, that is why I am asking the question of others…

…Is it my imagination, or are there more so called professional drivers, trying to overtake you on roundabouts, just like the impatient car drivers do :question: :question:

I am getting a tad fed up with this, not only is it fraught with danger(especially on roads that are not really wide enough) But it gets my dander right up, in that they think I will give way to them :confused:

So I shall ask the opinion of the board…What is the preferred method of action in this situation?

Whatever an idiot is at the wheel of, i want them past me and in front so i can keep an eye on them.

The very last thing to do with an imbecile is to antagonise it, they’re barely capable without giving them reason to lose what little composure they had, you do not want them to be behind and getting their ■■■■■■■ in a rage.

Unfortunately as lorries have become no more difficult to get moving and stop than a large car, it’s attracted that sizeable minority who would not have done the job in times gone by, this situation is here to stay and will probably get worse as time goes on, bad enough for those of us with only a few years to go, those younger drivers who do the job right have to put up with them for decades.

Lane one goes straight ahead, lanes two and three follow the roundabout. I was in lane two, one of stobrats finest comes tearing up lane three trying to get in front of me. Well, that corner IS as sharp as it looks. I bloody well hope he was loaded.

People seem to be driving trucks like they drive their cars. I’ve only been driving a couple of years and even I can see standards dropping.

Juddian:
Whatever an idiot is at the wheel of, i want them past me and in front so i can keep an eye on them.

:laughing: Without a doubt.

I was forced to ‘retire’ from driving professionally 18 months ago due to a medical condition, I was sad to give up the job, but not this aspect of it.
For the past 5 or 10 years before that I noticed a drop in driving standards by so called professional drivers, I thought maybe it was just me getting old, but then friends and colleagues started mentioning it as well. By the time I gave it up it was really starting to get me down. One aspect of the job I don’t miss at all.
Now when I’m out in my car I tend to assume every truck driver is a complete ■■■■■■ and is out to kill me, whereas many years before I’d assume it was a safe professional driver at the wheel.

Captain Caveman 76:
People seem to be driving trucks like they drive their cars…

^^^^^^^^
Nail on head !
That is because trucks today are so like driving a car, the good drivers know that they should not, the retards with a licence have not sussed that out yet.
As Juddian says these guys would not be able to hack the job once over.
Then there was a world of difference between a truck and a car, so consequently the dregs now slip through the net,.and the rest of us have to put up with, and apologise for them.

It’s the dumbing down of standards throughout life that has caused the problems.

Employers love this type of driver, as it keeps their wage bill down.

weeto:

That’s a fair point, maybe big employers do, where the left hand doesn’t know what the right bugger’s doing.

In many ways the new way of fleet operating suits employing the cheap incompetent driver, where tyres and maintenance costs come down to one monthly payment regardless, and the autobox has helped curb the excess fuel cost differences idiots were previously highlighted by.
Ironically it’s the competence and sheer self preservation fear of other drivers that stop these idiots from causing more damage than they already do, but there are a number of companies out there who are struggling to insure economically because they employed just anyone.

I bet small hauliers, where their results would stand out, don’t suffer these fools so gladly.

By definition…

We’re all professional drivers but some are more courteous than others.

If Billybigwheels just has to squeeze through where there isn’t enough room, I just back off and​ let them get on with it. No point in getting stressed out over nothing.

Roundabout’s always lead to arguments​ between drivers. There’s pages and pages of debate here on the subject. I’ll give you one example. The Black Cat on the A1 coming from Bedford on the A421. It clearly says both lanes can turn north but, it seems to upset drivers when you do turn north from the outside lane. There’s bags of room to do it but it invariably leads to someone getting grumpy.

Tgtrucker:
I was forced to ‘retire’ from driving professionally 18 months ago due to a medical condition, I was sad to give up the job, but not this aspect of it.
For the past 5 or 10 years before that I noticed a drop in driving standards by so called professional drivers, I thought maybe it was just me getting old, but then friends and colleagues started mentioning it as well. By the time I gave it up it was really starting to get me down. One aspect of the job I don’t miss at all.
Now when I’m out in my car I tend to assume every truck driver is a complete ■■■■■■ and is out to kill me, whereas many years before I’d assume it was a safe professional driver at the wheel.

Is it a coincidence that this started when a lot of people starting driving here that were previously only driving on the other side of the road in left hand drives?

Mailman:

Tgtrucker:

Is it a coincidence that this started when a lot of people starting driving here that were previously only driving on the other side of the road in left hand drives?

Yes, it is.

For once I agree with Bozo. The gradual development of trucks into what amounts to a car to drive, has caused a larger number of drivers to enter this profession, without the right skills or mindset. Another reason has to be mobile phones/tablets combined with almost blanket internet signal. The fact that the truck virtually drives 'itself ', and the constant temptation of the little magic box to alleviate boredom, is to much for many.
It will get worse, once ‘driverless’ vehicles are going to mix it with ‘non driverless’ vehicles. And cyclists. ( I can’t wait to see driverless cars in London :laughing: :laughing: )

yourhavingalarf:
The Black Cat on the A1 coming from Bedford on the A421. It clearly says both lanes can turn north but, it seems to upset drivers when you do turn north from the outside lane. There’s bags of room to do it but it invariably leads to someone getting grumpy.

Ironically while inside lane turn right or outside lane turn left will work on a roundabout with two lane exits and no straight ahead exit.It’s often still going to be marginal for two artics to negotiate most roundabouts side by side allowing for the combined widths and cut in of both vehicles.In which case even in that example it’s really common courtesy to hold back from whichever vehicle is there entering the roundabout first in whichever lane so as to stagger the combined space requirements of both vehicles on the approach,entry, through and on the exit of the roundabout. :bulb:

But we’ve had debate after debate on here about using all the avaliable lanes , ie zip merging ( pushing your way in ) at roadworks when the go down to one lane , and 99.9% say that’s fine :exclamation: :exclamation: , it’s fine to inconviennce the drivers who sensibly qued for the road works , yet if you use the avaliable lanes comming into a R/o your zb useless basically :exclamation: :exclamation: you can’t have it both ways or it seems on t/ net you can :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

I know I’ll get slated for this, but here goes.
We do a regular drop in Dumfries and so leaving the M74 and travelling along the A75 I’m doing a steady 42/43mph. This is because the speed limit is still 40 on single carriageways in Scotland.

Yes I’m conscious of a bit of a build up behind me, also I’m conscious of the old Bill waiting with a speed gun as I come out of a bend.

On the wider sections I kept as close to the verge as I safely could do in order to let cars (and some trucks pass).

I couldn’t believe it when I had a DFDS wagon weaving in and out and flashing his lights for me to speed up!!
Is this the hallmark of a proffessional driver?

Our vehicles are fully fitted with GPS tracking and we are monitored on our speed.
My licence, my choice. Next time I’ll slow to 39mph!!

Butcher:
I know I’ll get slated for this, but here goes.
We do a regular drop in Dumfries and so leaving the M74 and travelling along the A75 I’m doing a steady 42/43mph. This is because the speed limit is still 40 on single carriageways in Scotland.

I couldn’t believe it when I had a DFDS wagon weaving in and out and flashing his lights for me to speed up!!
Is this the hallmark of a proffessional driver?

consider yourself slated… :smiley:
dfds or any other ferry traffic weaving and flashing should always be interperated as.out of the way fannybaws …im trying to catch a boat…let them pass,thus keeping your mirrors intact,sit on their back door assuming you can do a decent speed,and let them also shake the bushes for plod…get onto a.m on the cb,and itl make life easier.

att:
So I shall ask the opinion of the board…What is the preferred method of action in this situation?

Without reading any post other than this one…

Block them coming into roundabouts. Sticking to your lane invites them to ovetrtake. Just take up both lanes and let their anger/flashing/etc roll off you. Too many meatheads driving lorries these days.

ezydriver:

att:

Without reading any post other than this one…

Block them coming into roundabouts. Sticking to your lane invites them to ovetrtake. Just take up both lanes and let their anger/flashing/etc roll off you. Too many meatheads driving lorries these days.

+1

weeto:

And the damage bill up, £10,000 a week regularly at my place.

mike68:

weeto:

And the damage bill up, £10,000 a week regularly at my place.

And I bet the meatheads (as somebody else said :smiley: ) are on the same rate of pay as the proper drivers, as they are at my firm…why is this?

A lot of Dutch firms have a two tier system of pay structure, you are on a lower rate for a certain period until you prove yourself, if you don’t, and/or make habitual balls ups, you stay on the lower rate of pay.

Why should I be on the same rate of pay as Richard Head who is totally crap at his job ?