POLL: Who do you intend to vote for?

If you think being in jail is living in relative comfort, better hurry up and break a shop window, those 1500 places will soon go.

The costs of keeping someone incarcerated are distributed over the whole system: Buildings, utilities, admin, transport, staff wages etc etc. That’s what I mean by Joe Public not understanding the system, they think its all X-boxes and TVs

Your example of dangerous people in a hostel situation, whilst I’m not saying is untrue, stretches credibility. Anyone not deemed safe to be in public without a prison officer should without any doubt be properly “banged up”, not in a hostel.

In my area there is a (I believe unique) prison, it’s not category D (open prison), but Cat C instead. However, inmates can earn the right to go out to work in the daytime as long as they return by X time later. Ironically, this place is on the edge of a nice little (very Tory) town - I mentioned it previously with the “wine bar” comments that weren’t appreciated by you :grin: By all accounts this place has a good success rate in terms of preventing re-offending, and there is no concomitant increase in crime in the area surrounding the prison.

And if someone banged up has the wherewithal to undertake any type of degree, frivolous or not, then it’s likely to help stop them reoffending. Many habitutal offenders are either illiterate or educated below the level of a Year 4 primary school kid. I’m met many who can’t even use “of”, they write “ov” and say “coz thats how it sounds” and they look at you as if you’re stupid to think of spelling it any other way. They also believe “Oi Oi” is the correct opening line of a message to friends and family. None of those guys are “wasting tax payers money” on a degree.

And, especially for the scummy habitual offenders who are incapable of living a life that doesn’t involve being an [expletive] to the world around them, spending £33k keeping them locked up might actually be the cheapest option for society: How much money do you think is spent on the police and courts system which these characters are intimately familiar with?

You aren’t a parent are you? :joy: Yes, I have sent my eldest to his room (c/w phone, laptop, Switch etc) as a punishment, because by removing him from the “family environment of the lounge” is a punishment, he suffers FOMO by not being with me and his sister.

However my biggest sanction that really gets to him, is when I refuse to engage in political discussions with him (I kid you not!). Having a verbal fight with me that Marxism is superior to Capitalism is one of his favourite things, refusing to give him that pi55es him off more than I can say. :sunglasses:

I image the video will be available on the internet somewhere.
Apparently she’s one of these Only Fans amateur p-orn stars

What utter, utter BS. They were violent gangsters who spent most of their adult lives in jail - what a success story, not! What on earth do you find about that that makes you “respect” them?

Coincidentally, a driver I know used to do deliveries to various jails around the country. He told me that he once inadvertently “met” one of the Krays, who to him seemed like a trusted inmate who helped with the deliveries under supervision of the POs. This “inmate” was polite and sociable and offered to “help” the driver if there were any problems. The driver just said “No thanks, everything’s fine”

Later one of the POs spoke to the driver, asking what the inmate had said. He repeated the offer of “help” and was told it was a good thing he hadn’t accepted any kind of “help” at all. “Good job mate, that was Reggie Kray, once you take anything from him, he owns you”.

Of course I can’t verify the guy’s story, could have been total BS, but he didn’t tell it with an audience and his attitude was one of “I had near miss” rather than being full of bravado.

You would have thought they would have vetted her pre.interview.
Apparentlly she is well known for, as you say, her video ‘stardom’, and she has appeared on a national tv doc about swingers and the like.
Not something you would think you would put on your cv, nor especially something that would make you favourable to get that sort of a job.
I suppose the prison service is like any other organisation… been dumbed down.
You see Police officers covered in tattoos and there is one on a Police tv show with hair over his ears and collar.
Also the post office, I am sure that like me you can remember when postmen wore military style uniforms and caps.
God that makes me sound old and stuffy :smile:. not at all I just think these jobs should have standards.

Absolutely. It’s like calling the criminals who ambushed the Royal Mail train ‘Great Train Robbers’. There was nothing great about a gang who maimed a railway worker and induced his early death. We buy into cheap sensationalism (for which read ‘glorification’) in the media at our peril!

1 Like

“This was all fields round here when I was a lad…” Ironically I lived for almost 20 years in a house which had literally been cornfields when I was at secondary school :joy:

But yes, vetting for public office seems to be a non-existant event these days: Look at Wayne Couzens (r-apist and murderer, whole-life term) and David Carrick (36 life sentences for rapes), both serving Met Police officers when they were committing their crimes

And…? You like that kind of vigilante-ism? If so you’d love some of my family from NI, these were/are the people who put troublemakers in the boot of their car, take them to a field and kneecap them. Doesn’t mean I look up to them though.

Tbh I think the ‘Great’ bit refers to the actual robbery, due to it’s enormity and shear amount of cash involved.
It equated to a robbery of millions by todays standards and equivalents.
I dont think the ‘Great’ referred to the actual robbers.

why would they of been that rule didn’t come in until 2005. it used to be once you had done your time you were released, something that the prt wants to abolish and return to the old system

My father-in-law drove for BRS and National Carriers before coming to Australia. He still had neck-ties from each organisation, when he died. Somehow RR I don’t see you as a tie wearing truck driver. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Gosh Zac, that’s a long time at high school. :smile:
The hardest three years of my life were grade two.

Well, because this is a subjective discussion we’re both or neither right on this one. To put my comment into context: I was just entering my early teens when this news broke and being still interested in trains I had cut out some newspaper headlines which ended up at the bottom of my piano stool. Some years later, still in my teens, I rediscovered them and was immediately appalled at the undisguised tone of criminal glorification. And this was still in the late 'sixties. So I formed that view about 55 years ago (just after I passed my driving test :joy:).

1 Like

I also worked at National Carriers no ties then though.
Anyway only time you see me in a tie is weddings and funerals…and the odd occasion in court when younger…no I wasnt a solicitor btw.:smile:

1 Like

Just get a random selection of pensioners to run the country, they’ve experienced life, got time on their hands and no axe to grind-either that or a random bunch of Trucknet members-imagine Robroy, Franglais and Carryfast in the same room!

:flushed: :joy:
Nah leave me out of that one,.I wouldnt have the patience, nor could be arsed with all the ag mate… and we would never agree on anything from first day in office.

I would want a hard line no nonsense take no prisoners approach to running the country, fair means or otherwise.

Frangers would just want to argue all day,.and try and wear me down by wanting a strictly… ‘‘Conform and abide by the rules at all costs’’ line, above everything and everybody else’s welfare, and chuck handouts around like confetti to who he saw as ‘deserving’…and bombard me with links to justify it.:joy:

And Carryfast would pretend he knew better than both of us by firstly consulting Google on…
‘How to sucessfully run a country’.
:smiley:

And we would NEVER agree who would be in charge, and who would be the ‘‘Alpha Male’’.
So who would it be ?

(Call in Harry…)

‘‘There’s only one way to find out’’

:joy::joy:

Not true: Long before 2005 there was the notion of “remission”, so rarely would anyone serve their whole sentence.

These days sentences below a certain duration (either 4 or 6 years) have an automatic release point at 50% of the sentence - unless:
(i) you’ve been kicking off inside and have lost remission, or
(ii) Probation service have not deemed you safe to be released because you still pose a significant danger to the public; being in category (i) to a significant degree will doubtless lead to being placed in category (ii) by default

we were talking about keeping people in jail that dont deserve to be released. you only do part of your sentence if you get time off for good behavour. the rules of which are controled.

is what i was talking about

That’s a non-standard situation, most of us here wouldn’t find ourselves in that position

1 Like